• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E29 Owner - New Orleans

mann

Inactive Member
i also became the proud owner of an ericson recently. i couldnt afford much more than a project boat, (and a project it will be.) I hope i will be able to hassle all of you for information as i need it. this will be my first sailboat and a learning experience. i will keep ya'll posted as to the progress.
let me know what ya think

http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=7054

thanks in advance
mann

Attachments

• F_7054_102353.jpg
    F_7054_102353.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 71
  • F_7054_102357.jpg
    F_7054_102357.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 74
  • F_7054_102351.jpg
    F_7054_102351.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 61
Well, I'll be the first to say welcome aboard!! She looks like a nice boat inside!! It appears that you will get lots of fiberglass experience patching up the holes around the boat, but otherwise, very nice. It's all about the journey (including getting the boat ready for sailing), not the destination. Enjoy your journey. I know that we will!!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Welcome!

Welcome Mann!

I moved your post to your own thread, and attached some of the images from the auction site.

Congratulations on purchasing a hull that's in need of lots of TLC - I'm sure you'll do well by her! I think it's great that you've taken on such a project - and it's wonderful that you're saving an Ericson hull!

Take your time and try and enjoy the boat as well as restoring her. I know from experience - trying to bring a boat back is tough - but you'll do it. Try and get her operational as soon as you can so you can enjoy her some while you work on her. The job looks totally doable from what I can see. Was there any major damage to the hull itself - or to the deck/hull joint - or to the keel?

Please do stay in touch with us here - you'll find many owners with great interest in what you're doing. Finally - take TONS of pictures so you can chart your progress.

//sse

Sean, I read your Owners Bio in the owners section and it made me sad!!! Here you are cheering on all us new Ericson owners and you had to sell yours. I say kudos to you for your support to the site and to all it's members. I think we maybe we should start an Ericson Boat fund for you!!!

Thanks again for the tips and support.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sean, I read your Owners Bio in the owners section and it made me sad...

Oh, it's ok.

I really don't have the time right anyhow. Between classes and an internship I'm hoping to start in January, there's just no free time.

Eventually I'll get back to a boat (everyone in my family says this) - but for night now it's ok being boatless...

//sse

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Welcome Mann

Mann,

Welcome to the E29 family. I must tell you that I almost bought your boat to part it out. I am so glad you are planning to fix her up. She will be a fine boat. How was your expierence with US Auctions?

Just curious,

Good luck on the boat,

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Looks like a good project, she might not take that much to get her seaworthy. When she is launched you will know every detail about her and you will have a real pride of ownership that "new boat" owners will never know.
Congrats and good luck.

mann

Inactive Member
the ladies at the us auctions office were very pleasant. i am not expecting the paperwork from them for a little while, but they didnt have any hidden fees.
randy i agree with you. i am looking forword to the process. since i have only been on one sailboat in my life a total of 2 hours. i might learn a thing or two about how everything works.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
This is useful, time-saving, and money-saving advice for everyone working on old boats, but particularly for someone new to boats with such a large project before him:

Get recommendations of books, buy the books, read the books. Before you decide how to do something, learn about it. Getting this boat back to top shape will take some work and there will be costs involved, even just for materials. You'll certainly do it for much less than it'd cost for a boat in good shape, but part of protecting all the money you're going to put into the boat is making sure you're doing things right, since the boat is only worth what it can be sold for. Especially if this boat has a salvage title, buyers down the road will be looking for proper workmanship.

So seek advice from people who know: on here, in boat yards, and in books.

For mechanical stuff, Nigel Calder's "Boatowners Mechanical Handbook", is invaluable. (electrical, propulsion, plumbing, rigging, etc).

For glass work, I've found Don Casey's books to be decent, and Gougeon Bros/West Systems puts out some good documents and books about doing fiberglass work.

For general boat maintenance I love Ferenc Mate's "Shipshape". Even if it is a bit outdated in some small ways, it's a joy to read.

Cheers, and good luck!

Nate

mann

Inactive Member
well the boat should be picked up on the 2nd or 3rd. i wanted it to be delivered to my house. since i have some work to do and the boat would be close. (i didnt want to pay rent somewhere.) i had a guy from a crane company come by to take a look around and give me a quote. well my driveway drops down in such a way that a lowboy trailer cant get in. so the crane i have to use is twice as much. just under one thousand to get it unloaded. i will post some pics when it gets here. it should be interesting.

mann

Inactive Member
well i finally got the boat delivered today. everything looked pretty good. there was a inch or two of water in the bottom. but i was able to rig up the bilge pump and it made short work of it. i didnt take any pics of the inside yet. i will keep ya'll posted of the work as it goes along. my girlfriend took some pics of the delivery. you can see them at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68069460@N00/
under the screen name frankee avalon. have a good weekend mann

mann

Inactive Member
this driver claimed he would be able to get down the driveway no problem. as you can see we had a little trouble backing down the drive. but i have to say he didnt quit. we even broke part of his suspension but he took it all in stride.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Impressive!

Looks great! Are you going to build some kind of a shelter over the boat - so you can work on it without having to worry about water and pine needles?

//sse

mann

Inactive Member
i have a shelter to go over it. as for the pine needles.. i am at war with the pine trees. i have taken out 10 in the last 4 months.

mann

Inactive Member
well i took the atomic 4 out yesterday. i thought i only had a slight fuel problem, that wasnt the case. hopefully i can sell a kidney or something to pay for the rebuild. but it still looks good at the dock.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mann~ Just looked at your photos, very impressed, beautiful job!!!! Whats up with the guy in the picture with the Wisconsin shirt and looks like someone opened a can of whoop ass on him? hehehehehe