• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help wheel installation

Chuck Cooper

I have owned my 1978 Ericson 27 for about two months. I want to replace the tiller with wheel steering. It seems that the contractors l have called are either to busy or not interested as they have not called back. If anyone has had experience with installation of a wheel to replace the rudder l would appreciate hearing from you. I want to know if this is a project l can do or should l continue my search for a contractor? Is there a special model wheel that has been designed for E27?

Also my main sail and jib halyards are orininal equipment and in need of replacement. They are both steel cable to rope design. I want to replace them with all rope halyard. Will 3/8 inch rope halyard fit through the roller that the cable now passes through at the mast head?

Thanks for any help out there.
Chuck

Tom Smith

Member I
Chuck -

I had Brewer's in Greenport replace the tiller with an Edson wheel when I purchased my '75 E-27 back in 1999. Besides the cost ( mega bucks ), here a couple of things to consider.

1. You can contact Edson to get the installation instructions ahead of time.

2. I placed my wheel behind the rudder post to maintain max cockpit room. The downside of this is that you have to do some fancy gyrations to get behind the wheel, and when you're there your butt hangs off the transom, and your heels are down in the cockpit drain. Standing this far back also makes the transom settle a fair amount, which slows you down.

3. If you install a wheel, make sure you check cable tension FREQUENTLY.

Tom Smith

Member I
Chuck -

I had Brewer's in Greenport replace the tiller with an Edson wheel when I purchased my '75 E-27 back in 1999. Besides the cost ( mega bucks ), here a couple of things to consider.

1. You can contact Edson to get the installation instructions ahead of time.

2. I placed my wheel behind the rudder post to maintain max cockpit room. The downside of this is that you have to do some fancy gyrations to get behind the wheel, and when you're there your butt hangs off the transom, and your heels are down in the cockpit drain. Standing this far back also makes the transom settle a fair amount, which slows you down.

3. If you install a wheel, make sure you check cable tension FREQUENTLY.

Tom Smith

Member I
Chuck -

Sorry to cut off the last reply. I hit the wrong key!

Cable tension is critical. New cables stretch, and you can lose steering. I know from experience! Hint: keep you old tiller, and the mounting bolt on board at all times, and readily available.

4. Don't know if I would want to tackle this job on my own. The quadrant wheel gets squeezed in behind the gas tank, and requires cutting of the fibreglass in hard to reach areas, the rudder has to be dropped, requiring a hole to be dug under the boat, and the rudder shaft has to be drilled to accept the quadrant ( maybe a machine shop could do the serious work for you). There are also some other pieces that have to be mounted to the underside of the cockpit sole as well.

5. After everything is cut, drilled, etc, you still have to crawl into the quarterberth and assemble all the pieces.

6. Still interested? I've been happy with my wheel's performance, and would buy another boat with a wheel already installed, but I don't know if I'd do it again on an E-27.

All the best.

Tom Smith

Chuck Cooper

Thanks for the information. After looking into the costs l have already decided to wait for now. I do not have a problem with a tiller except that the E27 is a very poor design. The only part of my boat l do not enjoy. A boat that size would have been better designed with a stern rudder. This would have allowed for better placement of the tiller and l would not be standing in the companionway to steer her.
Thanks again.

Chuck Cooper