• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

San Diego Yards?

jmoses

Member III
All,

I'll be in San Diego poking around at marinas this weekend (11/26-27). So, I guess while I am thinking about it, are there any decent boat yards in San Diego?

It looks like I may be trucking my boat down due to time constraints. As a result, I will need the services of a decent yard as I will most likely paint the mast and re-work it (i.e new rigging) before stepping the mast. So, any comments on where to stick the boat for a while as I work on it and to get some work done?

John H. Moses

Jim Mobley

Member II
Shelter Island is okay

Hi John,

I posted this a couple of years ago:

I can give a lukewarm recommendation for Shelter Island Boatyard. We just had our Ericson 29 in for a survey haul out, bottom paint and gate valve replacement.

The bottom paint was $870.00 for our clean and unblistered hull.

They also replaced three through hull fittings and replaced the gate valves with ball valves. Labor was 2.5 hours @ $70.00/hour. Work was done nicely, but they left debris in the bilge.

In general the work was done just fine and the boat was back in the water when promised. But, the boat was completely covered in sanding dust and I mentioned the mess in the bilge.

We didn't shop around for price as we were in the process of buying the boat and the yard was the most convenient for us, the broker and the surveyor.

wanderer

Member II
* Driscolls' Marine - Driscolls Marine is a full service boat maintenance, painting and repair center that can accommodate 150 ton vessels up to 130 feet long.
o 2500 Shelter Island Dr., San Diego CA 92106
Telephone Number: (619) 226-2500
Emergency Public Night Number: (619) 226-2500
E-mail Address: tomd@connectnet.com

* Fonteneau Yacht Repair, Inc. - Fonteneau Yacht Repair, Inc. specializes in the service and repair of stabilizers, watermakers, and bow thrusters.
o 1229 Shafter Street, San Diego CA 92106
Telephone Number: (619) 222-1632
Fax Number: (619) 222-0491
E-mail Address: yachts4389@sbcglobal.net

* Knight & Carver Yacht Center, Inc. - Knight & Carver Yacht Center is a full service yacht maintenance, painting and repair center located just south of the Coronado Bridge. Turn left at Green Buoy #C33, approximately 6.5 nautical miles from Shelter Island.
o 1313 Bay Marina Drive, National City CA 91950
Telephone Number: (619) 336-4141
Fax Number: (619) 336-4050
E-mail Address: jfreeman@nightandcarver.com

* Koehler Kraft Company, Inc. - Koehler Kraft is a full service boat maintenance, painting, and repair facility. Koehler Kraft specializes in wooden boat restorations and can accommodate 70 ton vessels up to 70 feet long.
o 2302 Shelter Island Dr., San Diego CA 92106
Telephone Number: (619) 222-9051

* Nielson Beaumont - Nielson Beaumont is a full service boat maintenance, painting and repair center. The center can accommodate boats up to 75 tons.
o 2420 Shelter Island Dr., San Diego CA 92106
Telephone Number: (619) 222-4255
Marine Radio Channel #16

* Shelter Island Yacht Ways - Shelter Island Yacht Ways is a full service boat maintenance, painting and repair center that can accommodate vessels up to 70 feet.
o 2330 Shelter Island Dr., San Diego CA 92106
Telephone Number: (619) 222-0481
Emergency Public Night Numbers: (619) 755-7335 and (619) 579-0584
Marine Radio Channel #68

* South Bay Boat Yard
o 997 "G" St., Chula Vista CA 91910
Telephone Number: (619) 427-6767
Marine Radio Channel #16
E-mail Address: leeorniel@southbayboatyard.com

as far as DIY, i'm not sure. i know at southbay, a friend was helping them do his bottom job. he may have had an inside "hookup" though.

Lew Decker

Member III
Driscoll's Mission Bay Marina is a full service yard and accommodates DIY boaters. It seems to be a laid back yard full of your typical waterfront personalities. I keep my boat in a slip there and a haul-out is probably closer than I want to think. I don't know what they charge but that info is only a phone call away. Good luck...