• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Baja Ha Ha Photo of the day.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Is this type of acrobatics due to windy conditions and the airy-dynamic shape of an inflatable, or could any dinghy dunk a dude? Is there a video clip, too?

Thanks for the post, Jeff!

Guy Stevens

Oars

Surf landings were one of the reasons that we really liked having a hard dingy that rowed really well. After our first Surf landing which was comic in it's aftermath, not so comic at the time, we learned a lot, one thing was: Why the hell would I want a food processor attached to the back of the dingy while it was flipping around.

We landed in some pretty bad surf after our first try, and did fine, not sure that we ever did it in the size we did that first time.

If you want to hear about our first surf adventure then you might try here:

http://www.svpneuma.com/us_westcoast_home.html
Then click on the little shield that is about where San Simeon Ca is.

Guy
:)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Even if there wasn't any wind a good size wave will do that.

Even if there wasn't any wind a good size wave will do that. I had a similar landing one time coming in through the surf at Smuggler's Cove at Santa Cruz Island (Channel Islands, CA). I did not flip but I flooded the boat pretty good. I did one thing right though. I left the Outboard and fuel tank on my E-27 and just rowed through the surf. When it was time to head back through the surf i watched the sets very carefully and made as dash for it in between the big sets. Another bit of advice I have for these kind of landings is to put anything you don't want to get wet in a dry bag. No brainer, right?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Row row row your boat....

I had dinner last night with some friends that cruised Mexico waters for several years. They have also been to Tahiti and to Hawaii and back.

They chose *not* to use an outboard and have a well-designed rowing dinghy. Surf landings and departures were one of the reasons for this choice.
The wife would be at the oars, blades up and ready and hubby would jockey the stern around constantly to keep the bow exactly into the breakers -- he would be wading out and pushing and when ready, would climb into the stern and she would dig in with the oars. He said that, in contrast, the folks with motors seemed to have a lot more problems getting off the beach and then into the stern around their outboard motor.
He likes to row, and has enjoyed this part of the cruising (and anchoring out) life.

They both say that after several decades of cruising off and on, they would not care to change to a motorized dinghy.

I thought it interesting to hear this, what with the local purveyors of RIB's and 30 hp outboards always telling folks that they *must* have that combo to go cruising....
:rolleyes:

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Kevlarpirate

Member II
San Simeon landing

Guy, a very amusing and well written account.
Question: The anchor trick seems ok as you were also convinced of this,
at least at one time. I think it would be worth trying again and maybe the technique could be refined, although it seems thorough enough. It would have been my first approach also. Did it fail because the anchor ripped through the kelp? Also, if you kept your weight as far forward as possible when the crest hits? Of course there is a limit to the size and steepness of the crest that this technique could work. Also, I think you could use thinner line , say 1/4 inch,
maybe 400 feet of it on a spool?

Masallah 04

Member II
been there....

I sailed in the '04 HaHa....this beach is in Bahi Tortuga, and it's a very difficult landing. The waves seem to come out of nowhere. Our capsizing wasn't quite as dramatic, but it's almost a requisit that every first timer swamp their boat. The guys who seem to make it best the first time are rowing hard shell dingies....

windjunkee

Member III
Ok, Have to tell the tale.

I was in Mexico during the '87-'88 season, in a bay just north of Punta Mita, about 30 miles north of Puerto Vallarta ( I believe it was called Bahia de Tenacatita, or something to that effect). I had taken some guests ashore and it had already gotten dark. We had a 14' avon with a 15 horse outboard. This thing could really get up and go (later stolen in the harbor in Papeete, but that's another story). I was standing waist deep in the water, holding onto the dingy and counting the waves. 1 ... 2 ... 3.... then a lull. 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... then a lull. I watch a couple more times and decide to go as soon as the third whitewash goes by. I count 1 ... 2 ... The third one passes I shove the dingy out into the swells, jump in, drop the engine, grab the starter handle and ... wave #4 comes. It lifts the bow straight up and I go headfirst into the water, still holding the starter handle. It MUST have looked as comical as the picture above. I never saw it coming.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Galley_Slave

Member II
Been there, done that.... twice. Once in the BVI at Savannah Bay, Virgin Gorda. The outboard remained running because we couldn't find the auto cut-off lanyard and jury rigged the on off button to stay on till we wanted it off. Mistake. Fortunately, one of our crew was nearby to grab one of the inflatable pontoons and rode the dink to shore. The rest of us had to deal with the coral. Ouch! Second time was in Barbuda off Antigua. Prettiest beach you ever saw. One of our crew lost a shoe, and another one got her camera wet. But at least the bottom was sandy. I was lucky and used another crew member's dry bag for my camera. I highly recommend them for beach landings!!!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Forewarned, but still all wet?

I never dreamed surf alone could be quite that bad for dinghies. Doesn't sound like something you could ever get good at, does it? Mentally prepare to get wet and bring a change of clothes and something to bail with. Thanks for sharing your stories.

I already have a hard dinghy and it wasn't designed for motor use. Maybe I'll get those 7 ft. long sweeps I've been eying at Fisheries. A little more power.