• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

San Diego Bound

jmoses

Member III
Fellow Southern Vikings,

I have taken a new job in San Diego with the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS). I'll be transfering down in mid-December and will be looking for a spot for my 35' Ericson (1972). Not sure when I'll get the boat down, but maybe in January 2007?

A couple questions:

1. What is the dockage situation there in San Diego Like?
2. Is live-a-board even an option while I sort out the situation?
3. Any recommendations for a location/Marina (I'll be based out of NASSCO shipyard)?
4. Anyone interested in sailing on a nice 35 Ericson once I get there?

Thank you so much for any insights or information you can pass on. feel free to e-mail direct as well... ericson_35@msn.com

John H. Moses

Lew Decker

Member III
Docks down this way can be expensive - upwards of $18/ft./mo. on Harbor Island and Shelter Island. It's cheaper in Chula Vista but it is a long haul to the ocean from there. I have my boat at Driscoll's Mission Bay Marina and, by some accounts, have the best slip in the county:) . I pay about $10/ft./mo. The disadvantage is that there are no bars, restaurants, swimming pools, saunas, weight rooms, etc., that go with a slip at Driscoll's. I couldn't care less about that stuff. One of the slips next to me was just vacated - a 40' slot - and it was still available as of this past weekend.

If you want to live aboard, there could be problems. Driscoll's has a "no live aboards allowed" rule, but there are several boats that are occupied 24/7. The management seems to follow a don't-ask-don't-tell policy. There is a marina across the way where there are live aboards, but I don't know if they are legal. I believe in Chula Vista they may allow a certain number, but you need to make a phone call to verify that.

There is a very nice couple down here who just purchased an E35 and they keep it in a slip across the way in Mission Bay. If I see them this week, I'll ask what they pay and what the availability is.

Here's my slip. I like it, and it's a 5-minute putt-putt to the ocean:egrin: ...

Attachments

• E39B - Lew Decker.jpg
    E39B - Lew Decker.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92

wanderer

Member II
welcome to San Diego!

if you're a govt employee ie, military, DOD civilian you have a great resource down here in the southbay.

there is a new marina going up in chula vista. I've heard sometime 08/09.

35 foot minimum for liveaboard at most marinas down here that i know of.

good luck!

NGB

Member II
We like Harbor Island West marina. The rates increase about every year and are now about $14/ft. However, the facilities are well-maintained, management is responsive to complaints, and it is a couple of minutes from the Bay. There is a maximum number and minimum size for liveaboards, but I don't know the situation.

The wait for a slip can be long anywhere on Harbor Island. Be careful of any marina that promises a short wait. When we were looking for a marina four years ago, I had a couple of places promise me a spot within four or five weeks. They "misspoke", intentionally I believe.

bigtyme805

Member III
In 1995 I lived on my boat in Chula Vista Marina (legal). They use to allow every other slip as a liveaboard. I am sure this has not changed. Actually a nice marina and no bums. The only negative is the long haul to the ocean. Although there is one positive, sailing in the Coronado Bay. I use to sail everyday and you really have no sea conditions except when it's blowing 25k in the bay. Good luck in your new job and marina.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
welcome to San Diego!

if you're a govt employee ie, military, DOD civilian you have a great resource down here in the southbay.

there is a new marina going up in chula vista. I've heard sometime 08/09.

35 foot minimum for liveaboard at most marinas down here that i know of.

good luck!

I came across a nice mid 80's e38-200 a navy guy has down across from the us navy seal training base....if anyone is interested, the price was not bad either...:D

jmoses

Member III
Thanks for info

Thank you to all who replied to my questions regarding dockage in San Diego. It looks like I'll be making some inquieries in Chula Vista for dock space for the time being until I sort out my situation.

John H. Moses

wanderer

Member II
Thank you to all who replied to my questions regarding dockage in San Diego. It looks like I'll be making some inquieries in Chula Vista for dock space for the time being until I sort out my situation.

John H. Moses

it's not as bad as people say down in the south bay. yes, it takes a little longer to get to blue water but it's quiet down here. way less ignorant power boaters

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Amen

I bought a boat that was moored off Shelter Island. Maaaaan, those stink potters around there were horrible! It was a heroic feat just to launch the dinghy off the beach without being swamped, and almost as difficult climbing out of the dinghy into the boat. And dodging those mofos trying to leave the harbor and head north of Pt. Loma was more than difficult. Too much money, too few brain cells, and no understanding of seamanship. The place was a nightmare.

stbdtack

Member III
John,
Ive been waiting for a slip at Driscolls in mission bay for about 1 year now, finally get one as of dec 1st. I think i will like mission bay better than SD harbour as its much closer to get out to the ocean (2 hours closer to Catalina) and closer to my house.

Suffered from sticker shock after first looking at prices. Double what i was paying in norcal, yikes. Mission Bay was cheaper and quieter and i have friends with boats at SDYC and SD harbour if i feel the need to hang out there.

I found the secret to getting a slip was to visit the dockmasters. They all like to prequalify you face to face. I got very little response when calling on the phone. I think theyre just trying to keep the riff-raff out.

good luck with your search.....:)

jmoses

Member III
Poking around SD

All,

I'll be in SD this weekend (11/26 and 27) to scout out a few marinas and meet the new boss. I'll let ya all know how it goes.

I guess I could always dock at NASSCO since that's where I'll be working for the most part. Any idea what a 35' slip there would be? Would they do a bottom job on 35' saiboat? :)

John Moses

wanderer

Member II
All,

I'll be in SD this weekend (11/26 and 27) to scout out a few marinas and meet the new boss. I'll let ya all know how it goes.

I guess I could always dock at NASSCO since that's where I'll be working for the most part. Any idea what a 35' slip there would be? Would they do a bottom job on 35' saiboat? :)

John Moses

i REALLY doubt that they'd let you slip in there! being inside the naval security zone. that would be pretty cool though! :D

give me a shout via pm if you need anything down this way

new member, old boat

I am presently in Michigan for the winter, I have a E 27 moored in San Diego, this is my first sailboat, and I need a resource for a lift, and a storage for a bottom cleaning/paint etc. any leads would be appreciated. Jim