• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hatch Replacement

GMaurer

Member II
Amongst other projects, I'd like to replace the two hatches (I believe original equipment) on my E-28 (1988). The plexiglass is severely crazed, and the hardware is well worn.
Is this a difficult project (other than the boat bucks part)?
Will a new Lewmar (or other) replacement easily adapt to the existing opening?

ccorcoran

Member II
I've been told that new Lewmar hatches WILL NOT fit older Lewmar applications. I suggest you speak with the people @ Select Pastics (www.selectplastics.com/products.htm) They rebuild the hatches and are an official Lewmar service center. Rebuilds/replacement of the plexi/lexan and seals seem far less expensive than buying new hatches (that won't fit anyway!). We're going to have our three hatches rebuilt by Select in the Fall.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I replaced both Lewmar top hatches on my 1985 32-3. The new models are the same dimensions as the old. The only difference is that the screw holes do not line up. But that is a simple matter of filling the old holes with epoxy and drilling new holes. One old hatch was hard to remove. I had to jam a carving knife into the joint and work it around the perimeter. Overall, the replacements were quite easy.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Lewmar 'Ocean' Series Hatches?

I was told about a month or two ago that Lewmar is discontinuing that line of hatches - that which most closely resembles the 'Super Hatch' series that they installed (on my E35-3, anyhow...).

If you replace them, go with their 'Low Profile' series. The new one have frames that disassemble so you can replace the lexan - whereas the 'Ocean' and 'Super' series were both bonded to the frame.....

//sse