• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fixed Window Seal

GMaurer

Member II
My E-28 (1988) has four fixed windows. One leaks, and the other three are watertight.
What is the recommended "fix" for a leak from this type of window? (There is a screwed on aluminum frame on the interior.)

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
One of mine leaked and I started to remove it, but quickly determined that it was so firmly embedded I would probably wreck it in the process. I therefore opted for Plan B, which was to seal from the outside. I did that by laying down two strips of masking tape, one on the frame and the other on the coach roof. I wiped clear polysulfide on the gap between the two and removed the two tapes leaving a clean edge. The repair is not noticable and has stopped the leak.

GMaurer

Member II
That would indicate that the leak typically occurs between the frame and fiberglass, and not between the glass and the rubber seal?
I'll give your "fix" a try and see what happens.
Thanks

Chuck Cooper

My 1978 E27 also has four fixed ports. I have just purchased this boat and noticed the port over the galley was leaking. I was able to unscrew the inside screws, without stripping any, at which point the interior metal frame easily came off. Next l pushed on the port from several spots using light to moderate pressure and was, after about five minutes, able to break the silicon seal that holds the port fast to the outside cabin. The port came off easily, l cleaned all surfaces and applied new silicon sealant. Then realigned the port in the opening. This is where you should have two people. One outside to hold the port centered in the (very tight) opening clearence while another person inside installs the metal frame and screws it in place. So far the port has not leaked. My plans are to do this same task to all the ports this year before anymore leaks begin. I hope this helps you.

Chuck
E27/Scherzo

Chuck Cooper

By the way, in my last reply l failed to mention the gasget that was there. I cleaned it and put it back on with the window. It was in fine condition.

Chuck