• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Weird Noises....

arash

I recently purchased a 1972 E/27, and I love it! Just one problem though, when I'm docked and hanging out, I hear noises from all over the hull. It sounds like mice chewing on aluminum foil...

Has anyone ever experienced this? Sometimes the crackling and popping is so loud that it is really driving me nuts! I've been through everything that I thought it could be...

Maybe it's just the water splashing around? No.

Everyone who has been on the boat can't figure it out. Please help!!!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Where is your boat docked? Your "profile" does not reveal where you are, but I wonder if this could be the noise made by a species of smalll shrimp, that people often describe just the way you do. This is a southern waters sorta thing, so far as I know.

Loren

arash

I am docked at Harbor Island in San Diego, CA. I've been in other boats in my marina and they have the luxury of silence! I am so confused... :(

sailingdeacon

Member III
When I am in brackish or fresh water (sounds to upriver) I never hear that noise. Go to the ocean and I hear it - ofteny but not always - and at night. I'm sure it is some type of critter eating away at my bottom growth. I'd guess if the boat was just hauled and painted, you would not hear the noise. I've had 3 boats in these waters with the same noises.

Siltbird

Member I
I get that

I'm in Marina del Rey. The boat was in Seal Beach before I took delivery, and I heard it there, too. I always just assumed it was some kind of fish or something. But I kinda like it.

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Same Noises as When Diving?

Are those the same little noises I hear when diving - sounds like small, crackly sounds? I always assumed it was just my ear drums about to implode.... :rolleyes:

//sse

rschaffner

They are probably snapping shrimp. They have one small claw, and one enormous one, which they snap shut to stun their prey. They might like hanging around your boat if its bottom hasn't been cleaned recently and has some growth, which they feed on. :)