• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Has PSC given up on Ericson?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
Not only has PSC quit supporting a variety of Ericson spares, it now appears all the Ericson information and spare parts have been removed from the Pacific Seacraft webpage. I even tried to e-mail Greg about some parts and the mail was rejected. Does anyone know what is going on there other than building trawlers and Sagas?

Emerald

Hmmm, poking around their website is not looking good. Wonder what happened to all the logos, exhaust pieces etc. they had kicking around.

Anyone on this board have a contact at PSC to find out more? What about a group of us buying old inventory before it hits the dumpster, if that is indeed what is going on? Seems like something to pursue, but don't have any idea where to start. There doesn't even seem to be contact info on the website at this point.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
PSC Abandoning the Ericson Line All Together?

Huh - wow. Yeah, it appears they've abandoned Ericson alltogether...

The 'Ericson' menu is off their main pages, all mention of the line is gone (including those boats they themselves built). You can still find the Ericson menu off some of the subpages (click on 'trawlers' menu is still there as of this writing - but the link itself is gone - poor way to build a site), and a bunch of their stuff have screaming 'Under Construction' messages on them.

It appears that their abandonment of this site and the Ericson owners two years ago was just a precourser to this movement of dumping the line generally. After all the who-hah about their owning the EY.com URL, they just let it time out too (now it's owned by some holding company).

Too bad...what a lack of vision. If I were considering the purchase of a PSC boat, I would take this into consideration (how they think and see the world).

Well - looks like we're on our own - which is fine.

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vikings: We're On Our Own!

You are right about changes in their site. Looks like they have exorcized everything "Ericson." Of course, they already did this ceremony for the Olson stuff.... :devil:
Also, links that should lead to parts sales info for PSC boats are also not working.
:rolleyes:
If you were in their geographic area you might indeed make them a deal on any older inventory of Ericson-specific parts, etc.

Pointless Speculation: This may just be further fallout from Don Kohlman's retirement not too long ago. I suspect that, even with his quirks, he kept some of the E-related parts around out of sentimentality. Now the company is more narrowly focused on survival with their remaining high-end sail and powerboat offerings, in a contracting market.

And, to look at this another (and more benign) way, maybe nothing really has changed much in the last several years for PSC -- i.e. they were *never* interested in having a good internet marketing or publicity presence, or imaginatively using the 'net to compete against their rivals.

Further idle thoughts: there are thousands of happy owners of Ericsons out there, many of them old enough to be on their third or fourth boat. I would think that this would comprise a Huge market for a new Ericson "Alerion Style" 28, 29, or 30. I know that if we ever burn out on the care-and-feeding of our 34' cruiser/racer/vacation home, we will be in the market for something simple, fast, easy to sail, and high quality like the Alerion. Now that I have had one demo sail in one of these at this year's Strictly Sail, I'm convinced!
:hail: http://www.alerionexpress.net/id70.html
When we reach the place life where we only want a personal boat for near-effortless sailing, and then use our former big-boat B.U.C.'s for occasional charters, we will want an "A-28" or something very very (!) similar.

Just random thoughts on a Tuesday.

Best Fishes,
Loren in Portland
:cheers:

Last edited:

Peregrine

Member II
Since I own a PSC built Ericson, I called them this morning to see what the status of parts support would be in the future. I was referred to the parts department, and left a voice mail. I will advise what I hear from them.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380 PSC #16
San Diego

u079721

Contributing Partner
Contact Info

If anybody feels like giving them a call to ask, their number is 714-879-1610.

Peregrine

Member II
I am trading voicemails with John Isaacson at PSC. He has told me that as far as parts are concerned, they have a few things, but not a lot. They will not continue parts support.

I have asked him in a subsequent voicemail if he could let me have a list that I could publish here. I have not received a response yet.

If I get a chance to talk to him directly I am going to ask about any technical files that they might be willing to put in the public domain.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E-380 PSC #16
San Diego

CaptnNero

Accelerant
keep on smiling

Further idle thoughts: there are thousands of happy owners of Ericsons out there, many of them old enough to be on their third or fourth boat. I would think that this would comprise a Huge market for a new Ericson "Alerion Style" 28, 29, or 30. I know that if we ever burn out on the care-and-feeding of our 34' cruiser/racer/vacation home, we will be in the market for something simple, fast, easy to sail, and high quality like the Alerion. Now that I have had one demo sail in one of these at this year's Strictly Sail, I'm convinced!
:hail: http://www.alerionexpress.net/id70.html
When we reach the place life where we only want a personal boat for near-effortless sailing, and then use our former big-boat B.U.C.'s for occasional charters, we will want an "A-28" or something very very (!) similar.

Just random thoughts on a Tuesday.

Best Fishes,
Loren in Portland
:cheers:

Ok Loren, I think you've got something there. Now we JUST need to open a factory somewhere to produce the product. ;)

As far as PSC and our beloved E boats, I'd bet that the powers that be observed that they're not seeing any Ericson owners turning into new PSC owners. From a business perspective that would be enough to pull the plug on us in a heartbeat after so many years out of production. We probably just don't make a positive impression in any way on the bottom line.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me. After all, this forum is an impressive resource for the Ericsons as well as other vessels with similar systems. The glass is half full ! :egrin:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ok Loren, I think you've got something there. Now we JUST need to open a factory somewhere to produce the product. ;)

As far as PSC and our beloved E boats, I'd bet that the powers that be observed that they're not seeing any Ericson owners turning into new PSC owners. From a business perspective that would be enough to pull the plug on us in a heartbeat after so many years out of production. We probably just don't make a positive impression in any way on the bottom line.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me. After all, this forum is an impressive resource for the Ericsons as well as other vessels with similar systems. The glass is half full ! :egrin:

The other thing that occurs to me is that not many of us own PSC yachts. I really couldn't care less what they do with the stuff:D . I think we probably have more info/knowledge here (thanks to Sean and all the others) than most brands- even those still in existance. I don't really see it as a big loss... seems to me the era ended about 15 years ago.
Just my thoughts,
Chris

therapidone

Member III
but whattabout the decals?

The other thing that occurs to me is that not many of us own PSC yachts. I really couldn't care less what they do with the stuff:D . I think we probably have more info/knowledge here (thanks to Sean and all the others) than most brands- even those still in existance. I don't really see it as a big loss... seems to me the era ended about 15 years ago.

That all may very well be, but from where am I going to get my white Viking helmet logo decals for the cove strips when the current ones give up the ghost?:eek: :scared:

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Guy Stevens

I have a source for the decals in any color you want

There are even black ones that are solas grade reflective at night!

Let me know when you need them.

Guy
:)

CaptnNero

Accelerant
local resources

There are even black ones that are solas grade reflective at night!

Let me know when you need them.

Guy
:)

Guy, thank goodness there is hope for us ! ;)

Seriously though it probably wouldn't take much to get a local boat lettering shop to make various decals based on a digitized image from the web. The concern of course is intellectual property rights. Does anyone know about that or have we gone down this road before ?

jkm

Member III
What is their address?

They can't be too far from me. Maybe stop off when going south and see about decals.

John

SAILSHIGH

Member III
PSC gone.

All,

I just wanted to say that this is the finest forums of knowledge that I have ever seen. I have learned so much about Ericson that I never knew about my old Hunter. I really hope these questions are answered about intelectual property because my wife own a promotional products company and can have a lot of items reproduced. I just wouldnt want to get in trouble doing it.

Well thank you all for being so helpfull over the past year.

Found this at WWW.USPTO.gov
Information about the trademark

Word Mark ERICSON YACHTS
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019. G & S: sailboats and yachts, and structural parts therefor. FIRST USE: 19850101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19850000
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 09.05.25 - Batting helmets; Caps, nurses; Caps, swimming; Dunce caps; Football helmets; Hats, graduation (mortarboards); Helmets, athletic; Helmets, construction; Helmets, military; Helmets, protective; Mortarboards; Mortarboards (hats); Safety helmets
23.05.01 - Helmets, armor
Serial Number 74155368
Filing Date April 8, 1991
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition October 6, 1992
Registration Number 1743019
Registration Date December 29, 1992
Owner (REGISTRANT) Singmarine (America) Corporation CORPORATION CALIFORNIA c/o Djang, O'Kain & Joy 1 Newport Place, Suite 1050 Newport Beach CALIFORNIA 92660
(LAST LISTED OWNER) ERICSON HOLDING LLC LTD LIAB CO BY ASSIGNMENT CALIFORNIA 8433 WILSHIRE BOULEVARD BEVERLY HILLS CALIFORNIA 90211

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "YACHTS" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Description of Mark The mark is lined for the color blue.
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20030321.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20030321
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Ericson Logo

I really don't think reproduction of the Ericson logo is a problem right now - I think PSC could really care less about it.

Those of you needing a logo, know there is a good eps file located at the top of the documents index (or just Click Here)... Any decent vinyl letter place can make them for you - and you can tweak it to your own specs, etc.

//sse

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I really don't think reproduction of the Ericson logo is a problem right now - I think PSC could really care less about it.

Those of you needing a logo, know there is a good eps file located at the top of the documents index (or just Click Here)... Any decent vinyl letter place can make them for you - and you can tweak it to your own specs, etc.

//sse

Sean,

Thanks for the EPS file.

On the legal end I beg to differ with you. While PSC may not care right now, any business that starts whipping these things out creates a future liability situation which was not the point in going into business in the first place.

lbertran

Member III
Ericson Decals

I have gotten a couple of vinyl boat names made up by Accent Graphics in Annapolis(Eastport). I recently noticed they have an Ericson logo on one of their windows. I'm planning on having them make a couple of them for me to install on my boat this Spring. I want other sailors to know what kind of boat that is that just overtook and passed them:egrin:

Laura
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
$$ Dictates 'Motive'

Sean,

Thanks for the EPS file.

On the legal end I beg to differ with you. While PSC may not care right now, any business that starts whipping these things out creates a future liability situation which was not the point in going into business in the first place.

Sure - I agree on that, in general. In this case, however - an owner of a boat that already bears that logo is simply trying to replace it.

In the absence of commercial activity or profit, I could not imagine a situation what would get PSC to go after someone for reproducing a logo of a line they've stopped producing; already destroyed the molds for; and have removed all mention of on their website...

The key to your comment is "...any business...". If you use the logo in a profit-oriented commercial manner, sure they'll care - otherwise they have enough trouble just running their own daily operations....

My $0.02 FWIW...

//sse

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Sure - I agree on that, in general. In this case, however - an owner of a boat that already bears that logo is simply trying to replace it.

Thanks Sean, I like that. yeah, that's it, it's uh, a, rePLACEment sticker, yeah that's the ticket....I'm just replacing it. ;)

sweet