• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racing an E-23 MK2, Swing Keel

Mark Abelle

Need advice on improving performance, esp. in light air, as well as optimal rig tension etc. Yes, my main is old and kind of tired. Have to live with that for now. I have an 80% jib, a 120, 140 and a heavy air 150, as well as a spinaker. This boat was raced for years on chesapeak bay and so is set up. I am currently lake sailing her on a mountain lake in Oregon, where the winds can blow anywhere from 5 knots to 30. It has become clear I'm going to have to use my large gennies in order to hang with the pack but that does give me a time penalty under portsmouth rules. Any help, thoughts, etc, will be appreciated. Thanks!:cool:

Last edited:

Bob in Va

Member III
Racing the E 23

Hi Mark, I bought an E 23 centerboarder about 2 months ago and am hoping to race it next year. Maybe we can swap information we come across. So far I have only sailed the boat three times, but am very impressed with its feel and it seems reasonably fast (blew past a couple of 24 footers carrying the same sails), points well, and seems to make little leeway. I lucked into finding a nice spinnaker setup (sail, pole, sheets), but that will have to wait until I am more competent with the boat. Tell me, what is significance of the Mk 2 model? The reason I ask is that I have some sails that came off another 23, but they are shorter on the luff than mine, and the main is longer on the foot than mine. My boat is a '76, hull #312. I installed a mast base hinge, so now raising the mast is a 2 person job.