• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I will be a the Isthmus (Two Harbors) from Friday Oct 20th

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I will be a the Isthmus (Two Harbors) from Friday Oct 20th through Sunday Oct 23rd. Stop by and visit if you see this boat. Probably the only E-27 with a radar mast on the stern you will see there.

Cheers:cheers:

Attachments

• PrideOfCucamonga.jpg
    PrideOfCucamonga.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 165

Ric Dahlin

Jeff,
I am coming over Saturday the 21st in my E-35. I should arrive about Sunrise will spend the day/night and head back to San Pedro Sunday. I will look for you.

Ric
E-35 Royono

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds good Ric,

Sounds good Ric,

I saw on your profile that you are out of San Diego. Are you sailing all the way up from there? I will do my best to seek you out and say hi. I may get a mooring at Fisherman's cove, so I would not be right near the pier. I have friends who have connections over there and they said I might just get a free mooring. We'll see. None the less I would love to see your boat and chat.

Jeff:egrin:

Ric Dahlin

I sailed my 35' up from Coronado about 8 months ago. I have been at Holiday Harbor since then. I have seen your 27' over at Cabrillo but when I've stopped by no one has been around. I will be coming over with a couple of buddies who own a CAL 36' and a Newport 27'. Please stop and say hello if you see us. (Royono has a Tan hull with Navy canvas, flying an Ericson burgee).

I'm at Berth 34, C dock at Holiday Harbor
Ric

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sound Good Ric,

Sound Good Ric,

I will find you. Sorry I missed you at the docks. I was there a lot this past Saturday & Sunday. Had a great day sail on Saturday. 17 knot winds and no rain in sight.

I will be meeting up with a couple friends who have a Hunter 30. Both boats will be heading over Friday morning. Looks like a warm weekend is coming. Santa Anna's predicted. Hope that prediction is only for the inland areas. Really looking forward to it.:egrin:

windjunkee

Member III
You guys have fun out there. The forecast is for light winds. We're taking our 32 out to Santa Barbara Island on saturday. I was hoping for a little more wind on the outside, but doesn't look like its going to happen.
Still, sunny and warm ... can't complain.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Santa Anna's?

Hey Jim,

Yeah I saw the forecast as well. Think there's any concern about the Santa Anna's (Red Flag) warnings their getting inland effecting the coastal waters?

NOAA FORECAST:
THU
NE WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES
2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT AT 10 SECONDS.

THU NIGHT
NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT IN THE EVENING...BECOMING VARIABLE
10 KT OR LESS. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

FRI
NE WIND 10 KT...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

FRI NIGHT
W WIND 10 KT...BECOMING S AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES
2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT THROUGH SUN
W TO SW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
MIXED SWELL W 2 TO 3 FT AND S 3 TO 5 FT.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Saw you guys!

I was also at Two Harbors this weekend in Whisper, my new (to me) 1978 34T. I would have dropped by, but I didn't bring the dinghy along.

Heading back to San Pedro this morning, Royono flew past me like I was standing still. I desperately need new sails, and that's becoming painfully obvious. I have a 100% jib that holds shape like moist toilet paper, and the main is also shot.

Can you guys refer me to some good sail lofts in the So. Cal. area?

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Followup

Following up on my sail question, has anyone heard anything about FX Sails? Good? Bad? Worthwhile?

Also, returning to San Pedro was a rush this afternoon. My only instruments are a good compass and a hand-held GPS without mapping functions. I had a waypoint for the lighthouse, and aimed for that through the fog. We were making 7.6 knots, heeling 25 degrees, and the GPS said the lighthouse was .15 miles off the bow (yes, point 15, one-and-a-half tenths of a mile!). We could not see a damned thing. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I could hear the foghorn and it sounded slightly off my port bow, but it was faint as though it were a mile ahead. I was beginning to question the waypoint and was thinking about aborting, when the outline of the lighthouse finally began to emerge out of the fog --the GPS said it was 650 feet away. It was exactly where I was hoping it was, and I was in the harbor 45 seconds later. Then the fog vanished.

I guess it's time to add a radar.

tramp

Member I
I had an issue with the fog a couple years ago coming back to Dana Point from the island. It was so thick I could not clearly see the person on my bow through the fog and mist, and my boat is only 34 foot. About half way across the channel we heard the faint sound of a fog horn, it got louder every couple minutes. We eventually heard the PROP WASH of a very large ship. WE NEVER SAW THE SHIP! It was the very next week I installed radar on the helm and have been happy with it since. With the GPS we know Who is out there, and with the radar we know where they are. In Southern Ca. the fog rolls in very thick very fast, so why not take advantage of all the safty gear possible. Get Radar.
Dave
Ericson 34 out of Dana Point Ca.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hello Ric, Mark A., Jim & Dave,

Hello Ric, Mark A., Jim & Dave,

First off it was great to hook up with you Ric! You have a absolutely beautiful E-35!! I am so envious. I enjoyed very much talking to you and John. Your lucky to have John as crew, he sounds like he has a lot of experience. God, what a great deal you got. That boat almost looks as it was built yesterday. Hope we can hook up again.

To answer Marks question about sail lofts in the area. Most are gone from the San Pedro / Wilmington areas. The only one left is T & A Sails,
222 W D St
Wilmington, CA 90744
(310) 518-2841.

Then you have the pricey places like North in Seal Beach. Just do a Google search and you will find Elliot Patterson, Ullman, Quantum and more in Long Beach, Newport and Costa Mesa.

Regarding the Fog. We ran into it just about a mile past Bird Rock around 10:30 am. Had to run my Radar for about a hour and a half until it cleared. If you don't have radar you may want to set up some way points just out side the entrance to the harbor. If it's not a mapping GPS, go out there some day when it's clear and make your marks. It can be scary. My total investment for my Fruno was about $1500. It came in very handy twice now this year.

All and all it was a great little Indian Summer trip to the Isthmus. Had a great snorkel over at Fisherman's cove. Saw a quite large black sea bass. Nice to know their coming back. Lots of fish over there. Too bad they don't let you fish in Fisherman's Cove.

Beam Winds!:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Mark,

Hey Mark,

Was that you right behind the "Pride of Cucamonga"? Out of the five Ericson's I counted at the Isthmus this past weekend, that one behind me was the only one I didn't talk to. Just never saw anyone on deck. Nice boat if that was you. Darryl from Little Ships YC had the big blue E-38 right next to that boat. He's Vice Commodore of Little Ships YC.

Cheers:cheers:

windjunkee

Member III
Glad to hear everyone had a nice time at the isthmus this past weekend.

We took VOR over to Santa Barbara Island this weekend. It was kinda foggy, cool and very light winds on Saturday. Saw several Blue Whales in the channel between Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands, which was totally cool.

The fog was a problem as we couldn't even see SB island until we were less than 3 miles from it. By the time we got there, it was blowing 15 to 20, but the anchor hold was good. There were two other boats in the landing cove. We left for the return voyage around 7 pm, as one of the purposes of the trip was to get a little more experience under the spinnaker at night. It was certainly exciting as we left the island in the fog on a moonless night, raising the main, then the chute, and powering off on a broad reach in 18-20 knots of wind, at times hitting 10-11 knots.

The radar was helpful, definitely, but there was no close calls on the way back. We recognized that there were ships within 3 or 4 miles of our position but we never saw any lights or heard any sounds.

My crew had an interesting afternoon there. Santa Barbara Island doesn't have a dock or a beach to land on. It has a rusty ladder hanging on the side of a cliff. As my partner and 3 crew manuevered on the 11' dingy toward the ladder (I stayed on anchor watch and to start getting dinner ready), a larger than usual swell picked the dingy up and dumped 3 of the 4 into the water. If the water hadn't been so cold, I probably would have thought it was pretty humorous to watch. They made it back into the dingy and back to the boat, losing only one life vest and the small plastic gas can.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Nah, that wasn't me

Jeff,

We were at L4, to the East of the Pier, three rows off the beach. Were there 6 Ericsons?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Nice adventure Jim! Sorry I missed you Mark.

Nice adventure Jim! Sorry to hear about your soggy crew. I was in a wet suit and it was a bit cold for the first 5 minutes or so. Not the warm water I was swimming in at Avalon Harbor in late August. Night sailing can be exciting. I have seen Gray's and even a couple of Orca's at Anacapa, but never a Blue. There have been a lot of Blue sightings this year.

Sorry I missed you Mark. I would have gave you a lift in the dink. I have to be honest and did not check the boats that closely on your side. So that make six E-Boats at the Isthmus. Nice turn out for Ericsons. I am sure you noticed the Island Packet Gathering. There was a few million bucks floating around in those new Island Packets.

Here's a photo for ya. Love the Cal 40 flying the Trojan kite!

I still like those old Cal 40's

Attachments

• TrojanKite.jpg
    TrojanKite.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 41

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Island Packets

Yeah, I saw one pull into the harbor just ahead of us. Then we kept passing "it" in the shore boat in so many places, that it penetrated my rum fog, and I realized there were a sh*tload of identical new Packets with identical mainsail furlers, staysail furlers, headsail furlers, matching UV covers (except for the green one) and matching dinghy davits. And, none of them could sail in the 10 knot breeze of early Sunday morning.

It's weird that you posted the pic of the Cal 40. I was looking at Cal 40's earlier today, and came across that same boat.

Ric Dahlin

Hey Mark & Jeff
Jeff,
It was good talking with you at the Isthmus. It was such a short trip but what great weather (except for the fog going back to Pedro). Still a good sail home. We'll have to hook up again at sea or in port. Thanks for the kind words about Royono!

Mark,
I saw your E34 T on the way home to San Pedro (nice boat) I didn't want to come in too close so we just gave you a good Ericson wave. I bought Quantum sails (Full main & 135 Genoa). I paid $3300 for both 2 yrs ago in San Diego and have been very pleased. As you saw, I get good speed from my canvas. You looked good out there but that boat will go MUCH faster!!!

I'm going back to the Isthmus Nov. 10-12 with my wife, John will be sailing beside me in his CAL 36 and his wife. There is another couple coming with us that have never been to the Island (they own a Newport 27).

Hope to see you guys again.

Ric Dahlin
Royono E-35-II

Ric Dahlin

Hey Jeff,
I would like to post a picture of Royono on the Ericson site. Do I submit it to Sean Engle? Send a photo or Email? Let me know.

Ric

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For starters, you can attach it to your message. Hit the edit button and then "go advanced" to get to the attachments dialog box.
If you have questions about posting pics, please email me directly, and I will try to help you.
Loren
(sailaway10 at comcast dot net)

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Ric,

Was that $3300 for both???--or $3300 each? I was looking at Quantum, and I was expecting to pay much more than that.

I've been heading out to the islands every weekend since I bought the boat. I'm pretty sure we'll be out there on the weekend of the 10th, unless the kids' school activities preclude that. I think we'll be at Two Harbors again this weekend.