• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buccaneer Days at Two Harbors had some problems.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Buccaneer Days at Two Harbors had some problems. I guess one person died. I have a friend who works in Emergency Services who was moored at Fisherman's cove and he saw the body come in to the office and then airlifted out. Apparently this guy got in a fight with his girl friend and took off in his dinghy. Later they found the dinghy with the motor still running going around in circles. The body was found at another location.

My friend said it was just drunken pandemonium, with lots of drunks falling around at the dinghy docks, scantly dressed women every where. Only in Southern California. Glad I passed on this one.

jkm

Member III
Jeff

I just couldn't put it together to go over there. I think I was a little afraid of the drunks and I guess I missed 'Da nada'.

Still planning a run over there soon and will send out the signal and hope others can join.

John

Glyn Judson

Going to Catalina.

John, Jeff and all, Marilyn and I are headed over to the Istmus later this week from Thursday through Sunday. Look for the Dawn Treader on the west side of the cove up near the wall, so come by to say hi. We'll be flying a big green and white Welsh flag or look for us ashore with our Golden Retriever, guide dog Frank. It would be fun to meet tsome of he folks on the list. Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey fellow So Cal Ericson Sailors.

Hey fellow So Cal Ericson Sailors. I am planing to sail to the Isthmus on Friday the 20th to the 23rd. I might even stay a bit longer if the weathers good. The only thing that is supposed to be going on at Two Harbors that weekend is the Annual Harbor Clean up. I am much less worried about a bunch of scavenger divers than drunken Buccaneers. Wish I could go sooner. This coming weekend is the Latitudes and Attitudes Cruisers weekend. May be crowed again. At least they will be mostly sailors and not power boaters.

I tried to find more info on the poor fellow who lost his life but saw nothing in the Times, Press Telegram or on the Web. I wonder if this will put a damper on future Pirate Parties.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Death at the Island

Thanks Loren,

Here's the story.

Death at the Island

October 8 - Two Harbors

The body of the a 53-year-old man who has been a frequent visitor to Catalina aboard his Hunter 42 Romancing the Seas was found floating three miles off the island early on Sunday morning. Authorities, including homicide detectives
from Los Angeles, are still trying to figure out what happened.

The victim, whose name has not been released, is said to be a veteran cruiser, a licensed captain, and a certified diver. He and his wife had apparently spent the afternoon of October 7 relaxing with their kids and having cocktails on their boat in Cherry Cove. Later on they took their 10-ft hard-bottom dinghy to the Isthmus Cove dinghy dock to check out the Buccaneer Day festivities ashore. We've been
told that this was somewhat unusual, as the couple apparently didn't care for big and noisy crowds, and the Buccaneer Day crowd at Two Harbors is about as big and noisy as you can get.

Once ashore, the man and woman split up - he to use the restroom and she to get drinks for the two of them at the indoor bar. Battling one's way through the crowd to the indoor bar, ordering drinks, and coming back outside again was no small task that night. It could - and apparently did - take a half hour or more. Once outside, the woman couldn't find her husband in the throng.

Apparently, he returned to the dinghy dock to see if his wife might be there. Not liking the chaotic scene at the dinghy dock, he got into their dinghy and drove it up on the nearby beach - as a number of others had done to avoid the dinghy dock congestion.

Somehow the couple eventually hooked up again, but when they did there apparently were some angry words based on their frustrations. We're told they returned to their boat, at which point the husband - to the wife's surprise - took
off in the dinghy without saying where he was going. It was about 9 p.m.

Some time later, the Marina del Rey Flyer, on its way from Two Harbors to Avalon, spotted what appeared to be a dinghy on their radar, heading east at a low rate of speed. It was a little to the east of Blue Cavern. On the way back from
Avalon, they noticed the dinghy on the radar again and decided to investigate. They found Romancing the Seas' dinghy with nobody aboard.

When they alerted the Two Harbors office on channel 16, the victim's wife was listening. Devastated, she contacted harbor officials and was brought to shore. The Coast Guard and Bay Watch were immediately alerted, and a helicopter with heat sensing equipment began searching a grid based on where the dinghy had been found. The search was called off at 4 a.m.

About two hours later, a boat returning to the mainland spotted the victim's body floating about three miles off the island, with some kind of wound to the head. Had the victim fallen off his dinghy and it came around and hit him in the head? Maybe. But the dinghy's 10-hp outboard had a prop-guard that is designed to prevent such accidents. In addition, when found, the dinghy had been motoring forward, not in a circle, with the throttle at idle. Had the man been hit by another dinghy or boat? There was a lot of dinghy and vessel traffic that night.

At this point the only things known for certain are that the man is dead, his family is grieving his loss terribly, and the staff at Two Harbors are heartbroken at
having lost one of 'theirs'.

jkm

Member III
This guy wasn't a lightweight at sea.

Its so easy to fall out of a tender when drunk.

Can't see how one drink would do it, mystery worthy of "Michael Connelly".

All I can say is that the scariest time for me at night in a tender is when I want to raise the water level a little.

What a shame.

John

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Have you read the "The Narrows"?

Speaking of "Michael Connelly", have you read the "The Narrows"? The mystery's all based around Catalina. Great read.

jkm

Member III
My woman got me hooked on him last month.

I've devoured seven, including Narrows, since then.

I think his books are better than Raymond Chandler.