• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Places to go.

Guy Stevens

Having just returned from Port Townsend Washington, where I have spent a lot of time on the water, I was feeling envious of the large number of great places to anchor around the area.

Being relatively new to the bay area, I would like to start a discussion on where people go around here. My primary goal is to go out and drop the hook, have access to new shore places. Something like mini vacations that one can do with a normal weeked, or maybe with an added sick day on Monday. :)

My preference runs high for anchoring out, but other options are welcome in the discussion.

So if you long time bay sailors out there have some places that are nice / fun / good / interesting / etc lets get a conversation started about it here.

Thanks,
Guy Stevens
Aiki
1972 Ericson 46
:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sailing Info Sub-Forums

Hi Guy -

Northern California and the Northwest both have 'Sailing Info' sub-forums attached to them - just for this purpose (open the regional forum, and you'll see the sub-forum above it).

I added one to the NW Sailing Info sub-forum, but it's been slow to catch on... If you're interested, I would love to have you guys add a couple of threads to favorite places down there you like to go, etc... :D

What do you think?

//sse

Guy Stevens

Yep, I was trying to jump start it....

Yeah I liked that feature when you added it, and have been hoping that someone that knew the area would jump on that new part of the forum.

Since it has not caught on, I was hoping to jump start the conversation a little.....

I could write a whole book on the PNW. No more than 20 minutes between great different anchorages.....

Here is looking a might bit more sparse. Lots of people here go to the delta, but it seems a ways away, and also like most people tie up at marinas in the delt, I am more interested in anchoring sites......

Guy
:)

dwigle

Member III
I would recommend Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay by Mehaffy. Other than that, there are so many places depending on weather and currents. Our favorites are Clipper Cove, China Camp, Richardson Bay, and Paradise Cove. Angel Island also has anchorages as well as Alaya Cove moorings.
We could also put you on the B.C.D.C. (not the Bay Conservation and Devolpment Commission) email list for semi-regular outings.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E-38 #8

ChrisS

Member III
The nice thing about the Bay Area is that a crusier can visit some very different "warf" environments all fairly close to each other (SF, Sausalito, Jack London Square, Vallejo, Benecia, even Petaluma, etc.).

As far as anchoring out, or visiting senic anchorages though, I think the Bay is quite limited when compared to the Pacific NW, and a cruising guide would accurately outline our local spots. Angel Island and other parts of Marin probably offer the most "close in" spots.

My goal is to start visiting coastal spots outside the Gate, but the weather and tides need to line up. In fact, the weekend after next I'm heading to Pillar Point if the swell and weather allow--if not, it'll be Benecia. I'd also like to check out Drake's Bay, which I hear is a nice place to anchor out if the conditions are moderate.

Best,
Chris