• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Booming Canons!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Admiral and I just got home from a automobile trip to the coastal town of Westport, WA, and a three hour "battle cruise" on the Hawaiian Chieftain. Check out this URL for some more info.
http://www.historicalseaport.org/

This ship was accompanied by (and did "battle" with) the Lady Washington, and both have been giving tours and day sails at Westport, WA this summer. Today was the last day before they go in for some minor maint. and the Chieftain leaves for a harbor-hopping trip down the west coast, doing educational visits to groups of 5th graders in many ports along the way.

I did not keep count, but would estimate that there were at least four separate firings of both three pounders on both sides... That's a lot of noise and smoke!
We tourists paid $45. each for the trip. The routine day sails are less expensive. Worth every penny!
:p
I decided that, in lighter winds of 9 to 11 kt, positioning for a good shot makes for a slow pace of battle. Much speed is sacrificed to tacks and course changes. The crew of eight worked their young arms to a frazzle handling all the sheets, braces, and a mess o' lines I could not keep track of.
We 20 passengers loved it, and kept wishing for some potatoes to load and fire...
:)

Trust me: From now on, setting up our runner tails or flying the chute on our boat will never seem very complicated again. :rolleyes:

Hope your weekend was fun, as well.

Loren in Portland, OR

Attachments

• lowrezChieftain at dock.jpg
    lowrezChieftain at dock.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: