• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Half Moon E-28 Dismasted Video

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
On the second Saddleback College Seamanship cruise for the Spring 2006 class, MST 214B and 215, the Ericson 28 Half Moon was dismasted when the forestay broke. Best estimate of the cause is that the jib halyard had been wrapped around the top of the forestay for some time making the sail difficult to roll up, inviting others to put the furling line on a winch, and which this crew did as well, causing the wire stay to finally part. The deck-stepped mast tipped backward coming to rest on the stern pulpit, and was prevented from rolling overboard by the outboard motor mounted inches away. No injuries were sustained.

See Video, Go to:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1082742650267709470&q=Ericson+Sailing&hl=en

:esad:

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I like how it reads near the end of the video, "Never put a furling line on a winch"! Thought that was funny. Apologies and Sympathy to who ever you are Half Moon. Hope Half Moon's back up!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Halyard Retainer

Sad to see that. A good way to encourage boat owners to invest in a jib halyard retainer for furler equipped boats. Which reminds me, I should check my jib halyard again since I haven't added a retainer yet.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Dumb question but whats a jib halyard retainer? I am thinking maybe the fairlead I see some have added to the very top of the mast to lead the jib halyard back towards the mast? I have a Profurl unit and it has an anti-wrap device built in so no way the halyard can wrap. Seems to work great. RT

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yep, that's what it is - an anti-wrap device. They are either a smooth curved stainless piece, or it may have a roller, that attaches to the mast. You route the halyard under it and that gets the halyard away from the headstay at the top. Increasing the angle between the headstay and the halyard to around 45 deg. is usually what they achieve with them.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
A Worthwhile Project...

Yeah, I used to get 'halyard wrap' sometimes also... The preventer was on my list of things to do - #348j, to be exact...

:esad:

//sse