• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

main sheet attachment to boom

tramp

Member I
Greetings,
I have a 1990 E34 in Dana Point Ca. and am in need of advice. This week end I was sailing along in about 15 Knots of wind and the center block for my main sheet broke away from the boom. No panic because there are two other blocks attached to the boom. In examining the boom, it appears that it is a pad eye held in with two pop rivets that go through the boom and one backing plate then the pad eye itself. I drilled out the two rivets and the pad eye is still in fast to the boom. It now appears that all three attach points on the boom for the main sheet are on one long backing plate along with the pad eye for the boomvang. Before I remove all four pad eyes, I am wondering if anyone out there with a E34 has ever had this failure. I believe it is Kenyon spar.
Dave

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have not of yet had the problem you describe with the main sheet attachments on the boom but I did have corrosion where the goose neck fitting attaches. I had the end re flared by a rigger, drilled & tapped new holes and used stainless machine screws to re attach the gooseneck fitting. This method may work for your application as well.

I think you would get more responses to your questions if you moved this thread to the Design & Function or Mechanical & Maintenance section on this site. Also, photos always help. Good luck!

tramp

Member I
Thanks Jeff,

I was able to find a web site with all the mast and boom parts you could imagine. WWW.rigrite.com They have Kenyon parts and just about everything to get the repair done. As for posting my question to the design or other sections, I couldn't find how to do that. I may be restricted to just the SO Cal area and have to set up my profile differently. Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

tramp

Member I
Jeff,

I just figured out how to post the thread on for all the other forums. Just got to be in the right place.
Dave: