• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spinaker rigging Ericson 27

hwynn

I was wanting to get information on how to rig the spinaker on my Ericson 27. I'm not familiar with them and I believe I have a cruising spinaker in a sock. Wondering if I need, or should have a spinaker pole with this.

You should run a whisker pole w/just about any spinnaker you raise. My '73 E25 came with one and I wouldn't consider raising it without it. I've raised spinnakers on Catalinas, Cals, and Starwinds, and each and every time, we ran a whisker pole to the windward side opposite the main boom.

You can find basic spinnaker rigging for any generic boat of your size in a good learn-to-sail book. There are several books available at www.westmarine.com, Colgate's Basic Sailing in particular.

Last edited:

hwynn

Thanks for the reply. I do have a whisker pole that I use with my 150 Genoa. I have obtained a "tacker" for the tack of the sail, which fits over my roller furling system, and allows the chute to move up and down, controlled by a line through a pully at the stem and led back to the cockpit. I understand that a cruising chute does not do well directly down wind because of its shape, and that it is more efficent to sail on a broad reach jibing to maintain course.

The way I have it rigged now does not require a pole. I only have a single ring on the mast to attach my whisker pole to. I do not have a track and car or topping lift to control the whisker pole. I guess I will have to experiment and see what works best.
Thanks again for the reply