• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Autopilot Installation

GMaurer

Member II
I just completed the installation of a Raymarine 4000 MkII Autopilot on my 1988 E28. I've located the fluxgate compass just above the engine cover in the companionway, but I get excessive deviation when I "turn" the compass. My next step is to move the compass higher on the bulkhead in an effort to get farther from the engine, but there's only so much I can do in a 28 footer!
Does anyone have any experience with this situation?
I've worked with Raymarine on their Website, but their responses are shallow at best.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
My boat's a 32-3 so I don't know if I can help. But I located my Simrad fluxgate in the locker next to the mast, low in the boat and near the centerline and away from possible magnetic interference.

Walter Pearson

Member III
From my experience installing an Autohelm a couple years ago, they wanted the fluxgate down low, in the center of the boat and away from metallic objects. (The distances away from metal that they recommended were almost impossible to meet, but it seems to work OK.) With some input from others with the same boat (E27), I installed it down in the storage locker on the bulkhead separating the locker from the port settee. I'm not sure how our boats differ, but you could be close to a lot of metallic mass in your present location.