• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Regatta?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The more I sail my 38 on the Chesapeake the more of them I seem to see. This weekend we went down to Herrington Haqrbor North. Met up with Niel from Kokomo (E-34), (he's got a great anchor locker/windlass project going on). In speaking with him on the way in I saw a 38 sailing. Got to the marina and there was a 38 there. It seems every time I am out in the Annapolis area I see at least 1 38. I know Chris is in Solomons and there is a least one other Chesapeake based 38 on this site. Would be great to have a 38 one design regatta. Maybe something low key like Annapolis to St. Michaels or better still Shaw Bay, less crowded and a better anchorage. Maybe get other Ericson models involved? I guess I should post this on the Chesapeake section but maybe soem of you guys from New England want to come down too? Hell if thats the case we could do Annapolis to Norfolk???

John Butler

Member II
We'd participate

I'm game, although I'm not sure it would be the one design racing I'm accostumed to in my lightning. We have a shoal draft 1982 E-38 and have yet to fly the asymetrical rigged by the PO.

Yes, there are several E-38's I've seen in Annapolis area waters. Twice in July (early and late) we overnighted in Whitehall Bay and saw an E-38 with a red boot stripe. The first time, we were having dinner on a friends boat and did a double take at seeing a twin to Red Rover at anchor (well, Red Rover's boot strip is more burgundy). We really did a double take as the other boat left the anchorage -- hey, who's that going off with our boat!

Yesterday afternoon we saw an E-38 with a blue boot stripe heading in as we were heading out. I believe it was the E-38 previously named Spirit (I know the PO of that boat) that is docked at Severn House. We also keep our boat at Severn House and I believe there is a 3rd E-38 there.

John Butler
1982 E-38 "Red Rover"

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
we'd show...

We'd be up for that... there's another one down here, too. Although I think she's kind of a slip queen:esad:
Do it on a Saturday with a 38 gathering/BBQ raft-up?
I guess I'll have to do all that buffing this winter so I'm not so embarrassed:nerd:
I'll start checking the 2007 calendar, 2006 is pretty much booked unless we want to do it like the first week in Dec...
Chris

Below is us in this weekend's "mixed couples" fun race...

Attachments

• Mixed Couples 06 sm.JPG
    Mixed Couples 06 sm.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Open invitation for other owners--

Kate and I were discussing this last night and thought it might be fun to invite some of the other owners who would like to participate from other parts of the country to join us all for this idea. I know Ben and others aren't going to truck boats from the west coast, but we (and I'm sure others) would enjoy hosting another owner/couple. Just a thought...:D
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Chris thats a great idea about the out of towners. Hell maybe Seth would join us? I bet if we start planning now for next spring we can get a decent number of 38's. I am thinking some sort of a point to point race verses a windward leeward. Would we want to make any rating handicaps for the different keels or just let er rip and see how it goes?

John where do you sail the lightning out of? My wife and I race a Jet 14 out of SSA.

vbenn

Member III
38s on the Chesapeake

Count me in. There are at least 3, including mine, on Back Creek in Annapolis.

I'm at Mears, slip 258.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue

John Butler

Member II
Point to point on a Saturday in 2007, ending with a BBQ/raft-up on a date that maximizes attendance would be good. I don't know anything about PHRF or what the performance difference is between a deep draft versus shoal draft E-38. I suppose condition of sails, skill level and a bit of luck (or lack thereof) could be as much a factor as keel design. I'm ok with not using rating handicaps (my keel is shoal) with the idea of this being a fun and informal event. BTW, if Seth comes east for this, he's welcome on my boat!

Ted, my home fleet for racing the Lightning is PRSA out of the Washington Sailing Marina by National Airport. I have trailered to Annapolis for some of the regattas at SSA.

Roger Ware

Member III
Would love to get a ride for this

Ted, Chris, John - I would love to fly down for this if I could get a ride with one of you. It would be great to meet some other E38 owners and compare rigging, systems etc. Do you have Brian Wheeler on your list (E38 owner) - he's on the Chesapeake somewhere - contributes regularly to the sailnet ericson list?

Cheers, Roger

E38 200 1989
Kingston, ON

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Dates?

Does anyone want to start throwing around some dates for this regatta yet? Also I think there are a few more 38 owners on the Chesapeake that we have not yet heard from. Neal with Kokomo said there is a 38 at his marina in Herrington Harbor. Is that guy on this list? I am hoping to get my act together in time for this fall's Annapolis to Oxford race in late sept. Anyone up for that one?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
2nd weekend in may...

Hey Ted,
What about the second weekend in May? It would have been the 13th-14th this year. Boats should be in the water and it would be a good tune up for Mem Day weekend.

Also, if you are talking about the Oxford race on the weekend of the 16th- I might be up for that...

Chris

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Stanhope

Does anyone want to start throwing around some dates for this regatta yet? Also I think there are a few more 38 owners on the Chesapeake that we have not yet heard from. Neal with Kokomo said there is a 38 at his marina in Herrington Harbor. Is that guy on this list? I am hoping to get my act together in time for this fall's Annapolis to Oxford race in late sept. Anyone up for that one?

I think she's called Stanhope and is over on I Dock, a few north of me. I only know of that boat from having been in a temporary slip directly opposite her when we were selling our E32-200.

I can drop off an invitation to the forum if you'd like to draw this one in.

John Butler

Member II
Second weekend in May is the 12/13 next year. I've got nothing on my calendar for that weekend. :) I wonder if we make it non spinnaker if we'll get better participation.

I think there was an E38 with a blue boot stripe and white bimini participating in the Chesapeake Bay Challenge on Sunday (my girlfriend was crewing on a boat in the race and saw it). I don't know the boat name or where it sails out of.

John

Peregrine

Member II
Left Coast E38 Regatta?

The Cheasapeake Bay E38 Regatta is a great idea. Any SoCal sailors interested in doing the same thing?

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
1994 E380 #16

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Second weekend in May is sounding good. We should talk more about course length and locations, but i think we have plenty of time. MAybe the thing to do is to try and get more 38's in on this? Neal if you want to drop an invite to the 38 in your marina that would be a great idea.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Second weekend in May might not work as its Mothers day and I am going to be out of town. What about the 3rd weekend? What about signing up for the Annapolis to Miles river race Saturaday the 28th? Memorial day weekend. Its a PHRF event but should be pretty low key. Other dates? Either way lets get the discussion of this one going again folks and see if we can find a weekend!

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Our racing schedule hits full swing starting mid May. I'd be available June 30/July 1, or maybe July 14-15?

At least then we wouldn't have to worry about there being too much wind:egrin:
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
June 30 weekend would work for me. I am racing the Jet 14 in Newport the July 14-15 weekend. Plus the June 30 weekend could be pushed into a July 4th cruise... Where are the rest of the Chesapeake E-38 owners? Seth has mentioned possibly being able to come out for a tuning session as well depending on his availablility.