• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Ericson 26 Owner! - Vancouver, BC

Rob

Member II
Hello to all!

I've been lurking for a while, waiting for the moment when I could announce that my wife and I are proud owners of a 1985 Ericson 26. Well... today's the day!

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that my wife and I are complete neophytes, so please tolerate the inevitable mountain of stupid questions that are sure to follow in the months ahead. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment - overcome by the strange desire to spend ridiculous sums to bring this boat (which surveyed exceptionally well, by the way) up to a standard of perfection. I've already sought and obtained informal quotes for sails, running rigging, standing rigging (even mast painting), upholstery, etc. Funny, the surveyor must have picked up on the vibe because he took me aside and offered this unsolicited advice: "look, make a list of all the things you want to do, BUT DON'T DO THEM - sail the boat, get to know her, and then look at the list next season and wonder what you were thinking."

Any and all unsolicited advice from the good members of this forum is welcome.

Cheers

SAILSHIGH

Member III
More Advice

Rob,

Congradulations.....

Welcome to the Club...

My suggestion is to:

- Make the list
- Check it twice
- Open a cold beer, and another, and another:egrin: :egrin:
- Forget you made list
- Take it easy and remember, If you wanted to go fast you would of bought a power boat.

P.S.
And another, and another :cheers: :cheers:

Wes Zimmerman
"SAILSCALL"
1975 E 29
Grnd Lake Oklahoma

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats & Welcome!

Hey Rob -

Congratulations - you've chosen a great boat - from a great line of boats.

I second your surveyor's advice - resist the temptation to start heating up your Visa card - it's just too easy to do. Get out on your boat in flat water, when it's quiet, get to know her first - then start a list and set priorities.

Soon enough you'll be finding things that need replacing/repairing - trust me! :egrin:

When you can, please fill out some of your User Profile (when logged in, it's under the small 'User CP' button, upper left) so we can see what part of the country you're in, etc.

We look forward to hearing from you!

//sse

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Good Advice...

Congrats on your boat!
I think the surveyer has a great idea about sailing it the rest of the season-
then you'll know what it really needs and can start burning dollars with that stuff.:devil:
Enjoy, and welcome to the community!
Chris

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Congrats to you Rob

Rob-
Congradulations on your new purchase! It sounds like you bought a great boat. A couple of years ago I was right where you are today and some very wise people gave me the same advice. (1) Do what is necessary to allow you to use the boat now, because if your in the North, there is alot of time to do the "fixin and dreamin". (2) Make that list in a thick notebook because you will be using it for the rest of your ownership. (3) Understand that the DIY projects will take longer than you expect. (4) Take your time, relax and do a great job, the rewards will come from within and from on-lookers. (5) Remember that there are no stupid questions, use Ericson.org and the many features that it offers. Use the "search" feature and type a topic and most likely you will find a thread on your issue or just start one. There is no better resource out there. (6) Walk the docks and take some looks at other boats. talk to the owners, you will find even most interverts will become "chatty cathies" when they talk about there boats! (7) Get catologs and go to the shows and pile of sticky pads to mark pages and prioritize your needs.
This is my best advice, I'm a manager of a West Marine in Wisconsin and I deal with newbies all the time and I'm in the "Candy Store" all the time doing just the same as everybody else. Rob Hessenius

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Welcome Rob & Congrats! My brother in law had the 26. Sound and roomy for it's size. I have the 27. I went through and had everything done on your above mentioned list but I didn't do it all at once. It was over a course of about four years. I sailed the heck out of my boat with pretty raggedy sails for 3 years. I think it worked out to something like one big 2 or 3K ticket item per year.

The things I did do first were things like replacing thru hull fittings, head, some running rigging, plumbing, and making sure I passed the Coast Guard safety inspections. Basically just making it safe and sea worthy. She wasn't as pretty as she is now but I was able to sail, cruise and enjoy her.

Now I have invested more into her than I could sell her for but I have no intentions of selling any time soon. The size and comfort she provides has been ideal for my needs and desires.

Here's a couple of before and after shots. This didn't happen over night. There are other things I could do to her but none are really mandatory any more.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

-Wind in the Willows
:egrin:

Attachments

• Before1.jpg
    Before1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 262
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 245
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Rob

Member II
Thanks to all for your advice and encouragement. While I am a newbie, I did a lot of research before buying. I'm thrilled to have an Ericson, and it's great to be a new member of this community. After all, I think I read somewhere that "God sails an Ericson".

I will do my best to resist temptation. If I sucumb, I'll report on my new expenditures...

Jeff - I must say, she's beautiful!

soup1438

Member II
The First Phase...

... of boat ownership is the "gloating" phase.

Go sailing.

Bend wind.

Try to get a friend to take a picture of you with the wind in your hair.

Heel it.

Tack your brains out.

Very, very carefully, attempt a gybe. The first couple of times should be in the next best thing to a dead calm, but, still, keep your head *DOWN*.

You're going to be learning how to bend an elemental force of nature to your will, so enjoy the process.

Find some nice quiet place to anchor, just you and your SO, and then see about properly "breaking in the boat". Make sure you've used every approximately horizontal surface.

As John Muir said in "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" (you know, the "Compleat Idiot" book): "Come to kindly terms with your ass... for it bears you."

Listen to the wind in the wires.

Listen to the slosh of waves.

It's talking to you.

wanderer

Member II
congrats on your new baby!

these folks will steer you right. probably the most articulate bunch i've seen on MANY of the other hobby boards i'm on. (so what does that say for me eh?)

as a new sailor myself, it's VERY tempting to want a bristol boat, also very expensive and time consuming.

now go sail that thing!

:egrin:

therapidone

Member III
Welcome aboard!

And congratulations!:clap:

I sailed with folks for 9 years and, except for learning a heckuva lot more about an Atomic-4 than I ever wanted to know, I didn't learn much else about sailing...I just took orders/suggestions and tried to take it all in.

We've owned our boat for 2.5 seasons now & there is still a bunch of stuff I don't know about maintaining her, let alone making her better. But I'll tell you this, we've learned a heckuva lot more about sailing & it's all been fun. We're from the "let's sail now & do the work later" group...you'll be very surprised how much enjoyment can be had even with sails that are blown out of shape and teak that hasn't been covered with 8 coats of varnish.

When we had our survey done, the surveyor had separate lists of things that he noted...some needed to be done right away according to him & others, well, let's just say that there are a couple of items from that list that are still waiting in the queue. The ones that had to be done were listed to assure seaworthiness...after those were taken care of, we wanted to sail:D , anchor alone over night :Kissy: , raft-up with friends :cheers: , etc.

Enjoy your boat & the EYO site.

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

ms lit

Welcome

Hi Rob and welcome. It's been almost exactly a year ago that we bought our Ericson 30. My first boat... my first time sailing was bringing her into the marina. I'm hooked! Our list is still pretty much that, a list of things to be done. We've been having too much fun learning and enjoying. Hope you enjoy yours as much!

Kathy

rwpajak

Member I
Ericson 26 Upgrades

Rob,
I can give you lots of tips and some pictures of what I did to my E26 over the past 3 years I have owned it. Don't start too many projects! How was your sailing summer?
Bob Pajak
E26
Its About Time
Lake Champlain, VT

Gfw

A great summer just ended...

Rob... I also purchased my first sailboat this year, a 1980 Ericson 25+ (although the papers say E26) and my first week I made my list of things 'to do' and was ready. I didn't really do anything immediately - I spent the first month just getting friendly with my new toy sticking real close to the Chicago shoreline - what a great view.

After that first month, the first thing I decided that it really needed (it already had a roller furling and lazy jacks) was to have the main line run back to the cockpit - it was best move I ever made, especially since I spent most of the summer sailing by myself - one hand on the main, one of the gGenoa line and one foot on the tiller - it really was a great summer.

I added one block, a deck organizer, a winch and a rope stop - before it comes back next spring from winter storage, I'll change the reefing line to a single line system - the rope stop and deck organizer were purchased with the new change in mind.

BTW - this was also my first real year. My son and I took sailing lessons in summer 2005 and we both got hooked :~}

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Re-think the single line system

Watch out on these. They are very finicky in terms of getting the proper relative tensions on the luff and leech, and obviously there is a LOT of line to pull. The other negative is friction-it is very hard to design this system given that you are adding a lot of turns and bends to the line, and especially without using the expensive, highest quality blocks (and you likely won't) you will find annoying friction in the system.

My advice is to buy a nice little autopilot (you need one anyway) instead of the single line system . If you need to reef, set the autopilot, ease the main sheet and vang, then the main halyard (now in the cockpit) to a pre marked spot, low enough to put the new tack ring in the reef hook. With a harness if you are alone or it is rough, just go up and drop the reef tack ring into the reef hook, then back to the 'pit. Time gone: 10 seconds. Tighten the halyard so the luff is nice and snug.

Now, just tension the clew reef lines (which I imagine WILL lead back to the cockpit), sheet the main and load up the vang and go. Leave the autopilot on so you can have a beer and enjoy your handiwork!
Anyone with experience with single line sysems on the under 30' E-boats please chime in. I don't care for them. Another one from the peanut gallery!

S

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Seth (and others), although my E30+ is not "under 30" as in the above posts, I have also given this some thought on my boat. I agree with your advice, and on my boat, have decided to continue with going to the mast to place the reef hook into the reef cringle, and then haul on all the reef lines in the cockpit. I have had to reef a number of times since buying the boat last spring, and that approach works well on the 30+. I would also advise that on the smaller Ericsons.
Frank.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Congradulations Rob and Mrs. Rob!

Welcome to the Ericson Family. My wife and I are still amazed with all the wonderful Ericson owners out there that take the time to help us with various issues on this great site.

I agree with the group on the "sail first-upgrade later" theory because we love to sail. If there are any safety issue's, I would do these first. Then on to a prioritized list of "do it later after we sail".

Enjoy your Ericson, have fun, be safe and don't hesitate to ask for help from us. There are no stupid question's. Well, maybe some of mine have been boderline intelligent.

Gfw

Thanks for the suggestions!

Seth - Thanks for the follow-up - I especially like the 'have a beer' part so next spring before I do anything, I take that part of your advice and probably continue the current system

It is best to learn to walk before running!

Gfw :cheers:

Steve Swann

Member III
Luv to putter...

I think I will be going against the flow with my comments here, but I'll take the risk! Au contraire: I/we get immense satisfaction working through our to-do lists as a couple. Fortunately, our boat is only a 25 on its trailer next to my shop where we have full access to both the boat and my tools. I make it a point to putter with one of my boats doing something almost every day. Many times it is only a little thing or two, but having a list and breaking down the list into small and large projects, rain vs. shine projects, hot weather or cold weather projects, and seeing the boat improve over time - is really, really, satisfying. Lots of tasks don't take a lot of money, just a lot of time and a minimum of the right materials. For example, removing all deck hardware, applying the WEST technique of epoxy reinforcing the holes and rebedding meant no more leaks but took a lot of time. This was actually a fun project to do with my wife helping. Another example was helping her make all the Sunbrella covers for the exterior, insect screens, etc. You don't have to break the bank! Inexpensive and quick projects for "Seahorse" at home keeps our dream alive as to the fun in sailing our boat.

I'd susggest you sail the heck out of your boat, but keep your list, prioritize and pace your work on various projects. You also benefit with learning a lot about your boat. You eventually get to a point where you are maintaining the boat and not doing major reconstruction. It may take years to get here, but so what?

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Well said Steve! It is very gratifying to do projects on our boats. My only problem is that whenever I plan a project, load the car up with all the stuff and get to the boat, THE WIND SHE BE A BLOWIN! And I just have a dreadful time working on the boat when there is wind.

Rob

Member II
Couldn't help myself

Well, I guess I'm not too good at taking advice.

She now has: (1) brand new, top-of-the-line upholstery throughout; (2) a Xantrex on-board smart battery charger; (3) a colour chartplotter; (4) new Class D DSC VHF radio interfaced with the chartplotter; (5) new galley footpump; (6) new cowl vents; (7) new blower; (8) new Simrad autopilot; (9) new Whale "Gusher 10" emergeny bilge pump; (10) new Whale "Gusher 10" holding tank pump; and (11) other small improvements and repairs too numerous to mention. In the weeks ahead, I'll be installing a new Raritan PHII head. New AGM batteries are on the list too. Also, I've already purchased new Raymarine ST60 depth and speed instruments which I'll install when the boat is hauled. I'm presently making arrangements for all new running rigging and standing rigging, and I might even go for all new canvass this winter too.

She's 21 years old and my first boat. I really want to enjoy her next season, so I figure that now is the time to replace and repair many of the systems.

The folly of enthusiasm!