• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Logos?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hey Howard -

I'm painting my bottom, boot and sheer stripe next month - do you have - or where can I get - some of the Ericson logos that were going around earlier this year?

Thanks,

allan

logo

Elliot Bray had some a few years back. I am unsure where he got them. His e-mail address is elliott.bray@marymount.edu

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Mine's coming in the mail!

Thanks very much - another owner has contacted me, and is sending them in time for my haul out.

Thanks!

Hans

I'm hoping to obtain a couple of the small white Ericson logo icons also. Anyone know where they may reside?

Hans Zarbock
s/v Hedgehog E27
Tampa, FL

Howard Keiper

To all...

Yup, I got em!

What I need is the size..std large is 5.25", std small is 3.5";
color..white, royal blue, dark blue, medium green, ivy green, burgundy.
and mailing address.
hk

Tom Plummer

Member III
Logo Aplication

Howard could you please restate the method of applying the logo's to the boat. I lost the post to sailnet and it is way to hard to try and find it on their server. Thanks a million.

Howard Keiper

application

Hi, Tom..
The first thing to do is to male sure the surface is very clean. This could be a problem if you've ever used a silicone wax, but it must be done. Try acetone or MEK followed by alcohol.
Carefully remove the transfer tape and attahed logo from the liner. Position the logo where you want it and push it gently into place...you only have one shot. Use a credit card or anything stiff with rounded edges to squeegee the logo and tape. If there are any bubbles, prick them with a pin and squeegee them flat.
Grab the tape and pull gently away from the surface and the logo will be left behind...where you put it. If it lifts off, your surface wasn't clean...otherwise, it's there forever.
hk

All others...
I'll try to get your logos mailed tomorrow, Monday, the 26th.
hk

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
I'm having my hull and sheer/boot stripes all buffed now (and I just removed the old decals). The yard has told me to apply the new decals on top of the base coat of wax - which sounds wrong.

Should I have the decals applied after they buff, and before the base coat goes on? If not, then at what stage?

Thanks,
//sse

sailingdeacon

Member III
Anybody know where to find the 1987 Ericson 34 logo that is on the shear stripe? It is about 15" long with horizontal lines through the "Ericson"

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
poor mans Ericson logo

I just took an Ericson brochure to a vinyl lettering place. They scanned the horns and gave me the decals in any size and color dirt cheap and same day.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I redid my shear stripes about two years ago and I would also love to have the little horn hats back on. Let me know to!

sailingdeacon

Member III
I checked with a local sign shop and they said no problem with scanning an ericson brochure and creating the logo and the Ericson 34 word. They did not feel they could scan a photo I had of the current "Ericson 34" that is on the sheer stripe (although I cannot understand why not). In any event they estimated a $30 charge for the "Ericson 34" word.

I currently have one of the logos and they can be purchased from Pacific SeaCraft. Three different sizes. See their web site. Yet that is likely not necessary since the local sign shop said they could scan my Ericson brochure and created it easily. (I did not ask for the charge for that alone.)

I'll be checking other shops. I dont see why a shop could not scan a clear up close photo of the logo and or Ericson 34 word and create a vinyl copy.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Scanning Photos for logos

The reason you cannot scan photographs to create line art graphics is this. The process of offset printing a photo requires that it be created of many extremely small colored dots. The dots will be one of the 4 primary "process" colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black). If you create a high-resolution scan of this "halftoned" image, the logo in the photo will have no hard edges (just dots) and therefore will require a great deal of work to create the vector data required to cut the logo from the pressure sensitive decal material. Typically, when printing a company logo on a brochure or similar piece, it will be printed with ink that is colored to the manufacturers color spec (not mixed from the "process" colors) and therefore will have crisp edges when scanned. This scan can quite easily be "vectorized" to create the appropriate file for the decal cutting/output.
I know this is a bit technical, but it IS the reason your print shop will have trouble with photos of logos. I hope this helped!

Cheers,

Mike

'75 E35-2

sailingdeacon

Member III
Thanks for your superb answer! Yes, my local shop concluded the same without the explanation. What I am now having done is a scan of the Ericson logo which I found in an Ericson promotional book. The font is the same as on the boat. They can scan it quite well. They have a similar font for the "34" and will put in the horizontal lines. I asked for a specific size to match what I now have. Cost is $30 for two. So if anyone needs a 1987 Ericson 34 logo, I assume he would sell it by mail.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Thanks, I just got the decals from Pacific Seacraft. They were cheap, I don't know, like under twenty for the pair. Anyway, time to put them on!

sailingdeacon

Member III
Brisdon, aren't you saying that you got the Ericson logo - the helmet thing - and not the "Ericson 34" word which appears on the side of the boat. I contacted Pacific Seacraft and they told me they did not have that. They did of course have the helmet thing for sale. But if one has access to the brochure it can be scanned and created for a few dollars at most sign shops. A fellow Ericson owner professionally scanned the brochure and created logo I needed and emailed it to me. I took it to a sign shop and we spruced it up and created the Ericson 34 logo.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I get what your saying. No, I didn't need the 34 graphics. I have a 35-2 so all I wanted was the "horn hat" that goes at the tail end of the stripe. Gerard Graphics in Newport Beach California is one of those places that does that well.