• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-34

alaf1501

I recently purchased a 1989 E-34. The bottom had almost 300 blisters in the 1.5" to 2" range. Does anyone have any information as to wether this is usual or is my boat an isolated incident?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Back in '94 I had a survey performed on an '89 E-34, which I turned down due to thousands of 1/4" sized blisters. I then bought a '89 E-38 which I thought was clean, but later developed thousands of its own small blisters. I have since heard from a number of surveyors that Ericsons of this vintage are known for their blistering. Mine has been peeled (twice!) and still has blisters. Go figure....

Duncan

Member I
My E-34 (1990) has a rash of small blisters. They are mainly in the first twenty inches under the waterline. I was just on the hard and a fellow who peels boats said that they looked like surface blisters that would be taken off with a shallow peel. The price he quoted was $8500 CDN and would probably take three or four months depending on what they found when they peeled.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I remember reading somewhere that in the late 80's Ericson started producing its hulls in Mexico and that's when blister problems began. Mine's an '85 and has no blisters (knock on wood).

sailingdeacon

Member III
I'd really appreciate more comment on this because a friend is considering a late 1980's model E34 or 35. My 87 E34 has no blisters but the previous owner put on a really thick barrior coat. No idea if he had earlier problems.

andy beach

Member I
For what it's worth the previous owner of our 1990 E-34 had the bottom peeled for numerous blisters.The pattern seems to point to a blister problem in the late 80's and 1990.

andy beach

Member I
We are due to haul out the first of September and we will know more then.As part of the previous owners warranty, he had to haul out yearly at the yard that did the peel job.No prblems had shown up in those three years.We are hoping that the trend continues(knock on wood).