• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What Size Navtec Hydraulic for an E38 Backstay?

wurzner

Member III
Anyone on the list capable of giving me guidance on what the appropriate Navtec unit should be? Is a 10 large enough, or should I go with a 12?

thanks in advance
shaun

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Shaun,
My Navtec is in for rebuilding right now. I have no idea what model it is but when I pick it up tomorrow I will ask what model it is and what the appropriate new model would be. RT

Seth

Sustaining Partner
-12 I think

I am 99% sure we always used a -12 (for the backstay (-10 for the vang)at the factory for the 38's that went out with hydraulics-99.9%, in fact.

S

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Seth, do you think a 10 would be undersized? I have a decent line on a 10 and not a 12.

thanks in advance for you guidance..
shaun

Seth

Sustaining Partner
10 or 12

Again, it has been a while, but IIRC, Navtec sizes the cylinders based on wire or rod size (dia.). On their sizing chart, you give them your backstay dia, and they can tell you the proper size. The 38 should have the 12, but some of the 38-er's out there who recently installed them can tell you for sure.

If we are talking the old 32, or even the 36 RH-it may well be a 10.

Either way, at least for BS adjusters, it is a function of rod or wire dia.

Hope this helps,

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
BS is supposed to be 5/16 on the 38. Navtec calls for a 12 on that wire size. You could probably use a 10 but it might not be the best idea. Sort of like using undersized blocks on your mainsheet or halyard. It "probably" wont fail but is this an area you really want to be uncertain about? If you are looking to save money I would try the consignment shops, E-Bay, or going with a mechanical unit instead of hydraulic.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Ted!

That's what I ws looking for! You would need an adapter for the clevis pin to use the -10, and this would be a smaller pin-not designed for your loads. It MIGHT work, but is definitely at your own risk, and would obviate any type of warranty on any related parts.

NOT suggested,

S

wurzner

Member III
Thanks for the info, but I still need a little help. Per the 38 manual, the forstay is 5/16 and the backstay is 9/32. If that is correct, the 10 is the right unit after going to http://www.navtec.net/docs/Series7.pdf. I don't have my boat (but do have calipers; normally I have the boat and not the tool!) to confirm. If the spec sheet is correct, I should be fine with a -10 shouldn't I? The reason I ask is that is the unit I have a line on.

thanks
shaun

stbdtack

Member III
Shaun , I have a series 8 #10 backstay adjuster. Works great, 1/2 " pin sizes, 5400lb relief valve setting. The 10 should be plenty for the 38.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
And there you have it

All I have to go on is an old recollection, so Ben and the others can give you the best advice.

But really,to be 100% sure. CALL the customer service guys at Navtec. Give them the VERIFIED BS diameter and pin size, and THEY can tell you with certainty which model to use. To make sure you don't endanger your insurance coverage, this is a critical step, and much faster than all of this posting...

Having said that, I am inclined to take Ben's word for it-that dude is pretty sharp. BUT, to make sure you stay covered, take 5 minutes and call Navtec.

Thanks!
S

stbdtack

Member III
I agree Shaun.... call navtec, i'm sure they can give the best advice for the application. And let me know if they say a 10 is too small!!

Seth thanks for the compliment. As usual your advice makes the best sense:)

wurzner

Member III
I just got the boat back. The new motor died about 3.5 hours into the trip home (always in the ferry crossing!). At any rate, I did measure the pin and it is 1/2 so I'm sure the 10 is the right unit. I will, however, contact navtec tommorow as well. The 2 things in sailing I hope I never have to contect with is a sheared rudder and a broken mast.

regards
shaun

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The OEM specs for the 38 backstay call for 9/32 which implies a 1/2" pin. When I replaced all of my standing rigging we decided to up the backstay size to 5/16 to match the headstay.(OEM calls for 5/16 HS) 5/16 wire generally takes 5/8 pins not 1/2. I am reasonably sure you would be fine with the #10 unit, but again I would give Navtec a call. I went with the #12 unit because I needed/wanted the pin size to match up.