• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shower/head - E35-3 & others

Steve

Member III
Sean -great head project, gives me food for doing the same -some day "soon"!

When you pulled the teak trim off the shower valve/seat area, was the splash backing sealed by a lip underneath, otherwise did you have to caulk the joints before reinstalling the trim.

I just finshed taking a number of years of PO's caulking off the exterior trim of the full shower. Clearly the PO had leaks or just thought caulk was cool... either way it was a mess. The lower joint of the shower base seems like it might need caulk since it rolls over into the siding and my knife blade went into between easly. Would have thought a lip or other seal would be present?

Any ideas on a "better" shower curtain arrangement, thought an enhanced wrap around deal might improve excess water control.

Thanks for this great resource;)

Steve E35-3 #159

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Great Timing...

The timing of your question is good - and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure what to do about that seal. The PO on my boat also had some leaks, and filled that crevice (between the shower pan and the shower bulkhead) with silcone. He used silcone all over the boat - I've been removing it for more than a year now.

I've been looking at that joint and trying to determine if I can improve on it. The only thing I've come up with is to pull out all the silicon, and have some type of custom molding made up (something that won't look goofy). Right now I've got it taped over so I use the shower (and boat) on the weekends - but it will be removed and the shower finished very soon (and I'll update the site).

As an aside - I've been talking about adding a hatch above the shower as well - but have recently dropped that idea. I finally got ready to purchase the Lewmar hatch for it - one that matches the style of the two main hatches - but is only 10x10 - and found out that Lewmar is discontinuing their Ocean line of hatches (the ones that resemble the Super 50 hatches that Ericson installed).

That means, if I'm going to put in a hatch over the shower, then I have to also replace the two main hatches ($$$), as well as saw a hole in my deck :eek: and deal with potiental leaks, etc. A friend asked me how often I plan to shower on the boat ... I looked at her and said "....ah....forget the whole thing....".

As for sealing the shower seat - yes, I used some Dolfinite bedding compound behind the teak to seal the area off from water....

//sse

Steve

Member III
Yep.. were both in the same boat –literally!

A hatch would make sense but I understand the match problem. My PO put a Nicro solar day and night vent directly overhead.. it seems to work well. However you can hear the whirl of the vent in the v-berth at 2-am… the price of mildew/stink control.

Strange the shower base wasn’t designed with a molded in draining lip for the shower bulkhead to set in. Home Depot has preformed flexible shower-caulking inserts that gives a finished look to a typical two or three-piece shower surround. Not very nautical but better-looking then raw silicone. I do like the teak trim idea, perhaps shaped to the base edge giving a bit of cover up the bulkhead and into the base, covering the massive amount of caulk your going to inject underneath. Clearly a custom job.

My wife is going to fashion a new shower curtain arrangement that warps as far around the base, perhaps from seat to seat, staying an inch off the sole. This should keep the bulkheads dry and less potential for water into the seal… I guess you can throw out a $6 shower current annually to keep everything fresh!

I'm also deciding on installing a cockpit hide-away shower, so warm day cleanup is kept outside, it would also serve as a washdown for stuff. Hey more like Hunters everyday! Where's the hot-tub?

Again, appreciate your site, as we’ve picked up a number of ideas that make sense!

Steve E35-3 #159
~~~_/)~~~