• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Exiting a slip

Guy Stevens

One line solution

You need one line about twice the length of the boat plus lets say 10 feet. Any line will do if you have to go get some new line for this, then get something inexpensive, say 3 strand 1/4" poly propoline (It floats!).

When you are leaving the slipplace the line on the aft cleat on the side opposite that you want to turn to. The line goes around the stern cleat on the dock and back to the aft end of the boat, either a sheet winch or the same stern cleat.

As you back out the slightest bit of tension on the line will turn the boat toward the opposite side as the line is on. You let it run out around the cleat and back to the boatas you go along. Simple easy, when the boat is out of the slip, you drop the end of the line not on the stern cleat, and pull it completely around the cleat and aboard the boat. Even if you do not use floating line if you pull smartly you will find that it does not sink or foul the prop.

Guy
:)

CaptnNero

Accelerant
criss-cross

I researched this and experimented on my first boat about ten years ago. One of the simplest systems that I did not use involved a simple pair of long lines which run from the lower part of the outer pilings of the slip towards the pier end of the slip. You need to experiment with the attachment points on the pier end so that the lines become closer together at the pier end. They may even need to criss-cross.

The further the boat is in the slip, the more the lines press against the hull on whichever end of the boat faces the pier, thereby centering it in the slip. One thing I didn't like about about that simple system is that you can't leave the centering lines rubbing against the hull once the vessel was secured with dock lines. The system would need to be tensed against the hull before leaving the slip and loosened and stowed out of the way when leaving the boat.

Instead I made something much more sophiscated yet easy to use. After a few months of experience, I found that I didn't need anything in all conditions. We've always had well protected slips, so I doubt I'll do anything like that again unless we got a very much larger vessel in a more exposed slip.

Last edited: