• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Two Harbors Trip for Friday August 4th.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I am planing a Two Harbors Trip for Friday August 4th thru Sunday August 6th.

The Cucamonga will be shoving off no later than 10:00 Hundred Hours on Friday August 4th with a ETA at Two Harbors of 14:30 Hundred Hours (2:30pm).

I will be keeping a look out for other EYO boats!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
"The Cucamonga will be shoving off no later than 10:00 Hundred Hours on Friday August 4th with a ETA at Two Harbors of 14:00 Hundred Hours (2:30pm)."

Here on the right coast we usually call 2:30 PM, 14:30 hours, but you left coast guys might run it a little different.

Have fun whenever you get there

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Paul - Don't pick on the left coast guys. He may have an analog watch with no numbers. :cool:

The important thing is that he wants us to know that he has a plan, and that the wind gods have to cooperate so he meets his ETA. Best we pray for all of the Catalina and Hunter owners out there as he is only watching out for EYO boats. :devil:

noproblemo2

Member III
No matter what time you get there you'll have a great time. I'll always have wonderful memories (and pics) of our times there, sure do miss those days.:cheers:

Jeff Meier

Member II
mooring availability..?

Hey Jeff how busy do you think it will be there that weekend? I'm expecting to head out to the island too though i can't leave until saturday am and I hope to arrive by noon. 2 weeks ago i arrived there 10am saturday morning and there were no moorings available at the isthmus (according to what the harbor patrol were saying on the VHF to other boaters who arrived just before me) but there were plenty at emerald bay. i can't wait to get out there again!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Jeff,

Jeff here. What you are talking about is the main reason I always try to go on a Thursday or a Friday during the hot Months. The place really starts filling up Friday nights and the Power Boater's race over Saturday mornings and take what's left. Emerald is a great place, good snorkeling. Personally I like the social aspect of Two Harbors (I'm still single and always looking for trouble) and the snorkeling and hikings not bad. It's nice to be close to fresh water and showers.

Check the Web Cam at: http://www.watchthewater.org/beach_images.cfm?bid=44&p=20

That's the trick, the early bird get's the can.

Jeff, out.

See attached pic. Lots O boats right now.

Attachments

• 014_ChamberHill_20.jpg
    014_ChamberHill_20.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 94

Sven

Seglare
A whipsaw sail (?)

Jeff,

SMWYC is heading over there that weekend and we might join them. If we go it will probably be an overnight crossing Friday night, rest a bit on Saturday and then sail (?) back on Sunday. At 23' we're almost guaranteed to be able to get on the stringline if there are no Alfa or Bravo cans we can talk ourselves onto, but two days really isn't enough for almost 70 NM at 5-6 kts max.

Maybe we'll see you there anyway. Just look for the Swedish flag under the port spreader.

-Sven

Jeff Meier

Member II
Jeff Asbury said:
What you are talking about is the main reason I always try to go on a Thursday or a Friday during the hot Months.

i know, i know. i wish i could... just started a new job and it's kinda hard to ask for time off so soon.

i got the feeling that some weekends are busier than others but aside from holidays i can never tell how crowded it will be. so i always just expect to anchor but hope for a mooring. i sleep much better on a mooring...

have a safe trip. if i see you at the isthmus i'll introduce myself.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Sven & Mike,

Ain't it a Bitch,

The thing about Catalina is most of the good anchorages (shallow water) are taken by the organizations with the moorings and aside from Cat Harbor there are few place that have all weather anchorages. Around Avalon the waters just too darn deep for my comfort. Makes me miss the good anchoring I was able to find when I sailed to the Channel Islands (35 foot sandy bottoms). A friend of mine says that Goat Harbor and Rippers Cove are good spots to anchor. They are bit far from the Isthmus or Avalon though.

Who knows, I may have to anchor as well. I have been sailing to Catalina for four years now with an average of about six trips a year. I have only had to anchor once on Memorial Day after I was kicked off a mooring because the owner came in. I dropped bow & stern hooks over by the camp grounds on the left side of the cove in about 60 feet of water. I was well anchored but what I didn't like were all the other folks coming in and anchoring so close to me. I had at least two boats that asked me how deep it was where I was at. I never sail with out a functioning depth sounder and if mine goes out I have a plumb line with knots tied at every foot as a back up sounder. Some boats were only dropping one anchor in those close quarters. Not good.

Then the Isthmus Harbor Master called me on the VHF about an hour after I anchored and said they had another mooring for me. That's because I got on the waiting list as soon as I was kicked off.

You always need alternate plans when you are cruising.

Hope to see both of you there.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
Some boats were only dropping one anchor in those close quarters.

Hmmm .... first boat decides one or two anchors, all later boats follow suit, no ifs or buts. I suspect that is actually written into law due to the high probability of damage in any kind of adverse wind conditions when the two are mixed.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Ever been to Two Harbors on a Holiday weekend. It's a nut house. I was able to get back on a mooring and didn't hang around to see if anyone tried enforcing any anchoring rules. I did watch that area fill up fast with boats dropping anchors and it looked a bit chaotic. If I was going to have to stay anchored for the night I would have headed up to Rippers or Goat.

Just did not like anchoring at Two Harbors on a busy weekend.

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
Ever been to Two Harbors on a Holiday weekend. It's a nut house.

We have been the last boat to get a stringline spot, the definition of full.

I would not anchor in a nuthouse.

-Sven

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
"Just look for the Swedish flag under the port spreader"

go volvos.....:egrin:

(& ericsons)....

jkm

Member III
Wish I could join you.

I'm going over on a dive boat with my kids, but would rather be at Two Harbors for pool.

John

Glyn Judson

Going over to the Isthmus the weekend of Aug 4th.

Sven and all, Guide dog Clark and I plan to single hand over early Thursday with a few other boats and then have Marilyn come over via the Marina Flyer on Friday evening. We'll stay until Sunday morning so look for us there on the west side near the wall if we get lucky. I'll be flying a large Welsh courtesy flag from the starboard sperader of our E31 so I hope you can't miss us. C'mon over for a diet soda social or to just say howdy. Glyn,

Sven

Seglare
Glyn, Jeff and any others who might venture across,

We hope to see you all over there, but not until very late Friday night or very early Saturday morning. Work is fun but it sure gets in the way of life !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I still plan to arrive mid Friday Afternoon.

Hey Sven & Glyn,

I believe I have a Swedish Flag as well. Check out the Pic and verify that this is a Swedish flag or Pennant for me.

I will fly it off my starboard flag halyard to help you guys locate me as well.

I still plan to arrive mid Friday Afternoon.:egrin:

Attachments

• Flag.jpg
    Flag.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 47

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
I believe I have a Swedish Flag as well. Check out the Pic and verify that this is a Swedish flag or Pennant for me.

We gave the Danes their freedom a long time ago so while we could claim ownership of Dannebrogen in the past we now let the Danes claim it as their own flag (white cross on a red backround). Ours is much prettier, a sun-yellow cross on a sky-blue background.

:)

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh, your right, I should have remembered the yellow cross & sky blue background because I worked with this Swedish gal and she had one in her office. Well I will fly this Danish anyway. I think I also have Canada and Netherlands. Don't ask me why, but if I ever cross the Atlantic or the 49th Parallel I'll be ready.

:esad: :confused: :esad: :confused: