• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding refrigeration

Gary Kline

I'm currently evaluating refrigeration to my 1086 E35-3. Would appreciate responses as to what brand and model you E35 owners have installed and how efficient they are. My cooler is 6.5 cubit feet.

Thanks

Pat C.

Member III
I think the choice of how to convert to refrigeration is made based on the electrical system quality of the vessel and how you use the boat.

For me, I chose a super cold machine. Water cooled when I'm there, works air cooled when I'm not (so I can close the thru hulls...another topic), and I have confidence in my electrical system to support it via dc power from the charger. Left running during the season it works well enough if left on (keeps the beer cold in the summer months in Texas) if starting only on weekends it works pretty poorly. I leave blue ice in inside the evaporator, kind of like a poor mans holding plate system, when continuously running. The bigger question and better upgrade would be to address the insulation issue first, which I have not done. That would result in a much better result with whatever type you choose. That's covered elsewhere in forums in the past.

I looked a a dc driven glacier bay holding plate system before settling on what I have. Nice, better than what I chose, but would want to upgrade insulation first. This was all done prior to this website (mid to late 90's). Today, having others experience here to reference I would upgrade the insulation prior to even considering this upgrade. If the insulation top notch, then would have likely chose a more expensive holding plate system.

Pat C.

Member III
And now I notice I'm responding to a 15 yr old post...have no idea how this showed up on the first page of the forum. Maybe a technical issue. Probably user error. My apologies.

Glyn Judson

New or old posts, refrigeration considerations.

Pat and all, Although adequate insulation is first and foremost to think about when making a good setup to keep food cold aboard, it can be difficult to retrofit an older, thinner system. To be perfectly honest, our solution has been to simply purchase a Honda EU2000i, aux fuel tank, 25 foot shore power cord and aux to generator fuel hose that we haul out when off shore and away from dock power and of course, when not under way. The Honda and tank sit up on the bow and three or four hours of running time per day is all that's needed to keep the 'fridge batteries up for days and even weeks at a time. It's a very quiet generator and in no way disturbing in the cockpit and only a light hum down below. So the question to ask if anyone is considering improving the cooling capabilities in their boat: rip out and rebuild the box or buy a Honda. My 1 cent's worth, Loren gets the big bucks, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And now I notice I'm responding to a 15 yr old post...have no idea how this showed up on the first page of the forum. Maybe a technical issue. Probably user error. My apologies.

Actually, you were responding to a current post on a thread that was started some years ago. Since the problems with our boats change very little over time, it's good to have more answers showing up.

No technical issue -- a current response to any thread moves it to the top of a forum. :nerd:

Cheers,
Loren