• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

fuel filters

daynardi

Member II
What is the appropriate primary fuel filter / water separator for our 20 hp diesel? Is 10 micron right? 30 micron?
Is trasparant bowl ok or does CG require metal?

The marine stores stock plastic, but the Raycor website talks about metal for marine use. What's up with that?

Thanks in advance for any info and advice,
David Aynardi

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand it, the metal bowl is required for gas engines due to the higher fire danger. Diesels have the clear plastic bowl.
I am not sure about the micron size in my Racor -- I will have to look next time I am down at the boat.

Loren
'88 Universal M25XP

Billk

Racor filters come in 2, 10, and 30 microns. The advice I have gotten is to use the finest filter element, the 2 micron. This is the same as most secondary filters, so the secondary filter should not get dirty. The reasoning is that since my racor primary filter has something like a 30 gal/hour rating and my engine at most uses a 1/2 gallon per hour, even if it gets fairly pulged up it will still flow enough fuel. Also if I do get a plugged filter it will be the primary rather than the secondary.
Bill Kramer
E-27 Sea Spray

Ray Rhode

Member III
My PO had installed two primary filters in series. As I was uncertain of the ratings I replaced the entire system from tank to engine. I installed a Racor 230 and agree with Bill about using the 2 micron primary. Most "experts" say otherwise citing the problem of clogging the primary with stuff that should be caught in the secondary. As I am uncertain about the rating of the secondary I would just as soon not take the chance that it is 5 or 10 microns. Also the Racor is easier to change and requires less bleeding. With the 30 gal/hr rating and the 1/2 to 3/4 gal per hour consumption it will take a long time to clog up the Racor.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thing to keep in mind is that the Racor filter is actually processing more diesel than the engine is burning. This is due to the "extra" fuel moving thru the system and back to the tank via the fuel return line, after it cools the injection pump. I do not know what the flow rate through the filter really is on our small 2 and 3 cylinder engines -- any of you mechanics out there know??
:confused:
Loren

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ask Torresen -

I would forward the question to Torresen Marine in Michigan. They're a dealer of all the small diesels, and seem to have the right answers....

//sse

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Cross over numbers for fuel filters...?

If I remember, sometime back there was posted a reference to other brands (than Racor) that would fit. Could there be a repost for me as I can get wix & Napa and a LOT of others but not the one called for on the U-25.
Thanks

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
If I remember, sometime back there was posted a reference to other brands (than Racor) that would fit. Could there be a repost for me as I can get wix & Napa and a LOT of others but not the one called for on the U-25.
Thanks

From Westerbeke a few years ago for my M-25XP. I had told them I was using the 10 micron Wix filter.

Hello Tom,

10 microns for the on engine spin on filter is fine. Do not go any smaller in micron rating. Our #298854 spin on is rated at 25 micron. Stay with 10 micron in the Racor as well. You want the Racor to be doing the majority of filtering.

Kind Regards,

Westerbeke Corp.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 19 23.30.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 19 23.30.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 215

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Yep Iv'e tried going finer/smaller than 10 micron and it usually lasts about ten minutes before slowing the engine rpms down. I tried it again last week with a 2 micron and got almost out of the marina before turning back to the slip to put a ten micron back in.
Christian Williams mentioned the same issue on his recent Hawaii trip I think.

Last edited:

clp

Member III
A 2 micron filter is trouble waiting to happen. The pump and injectors will pass anything under 10 microns, so the additional filtering of the two micron is pointless. Fuels are nasty. Regardless of how careful you are, sooner or later a bad batch will happen.
If the boat carries two micron filters, it's best to buy a case of them at a time. Or a couple of tens. I choose ten.