• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cruising 30+

upinthenorth

We own a well maintained 1984 E30+ and sail it regularly here in Alaska. I have the on going project of strengthening it for extended coastal and some open water cruising. I'm always looking for input to my punch list ie: potential weak spots that can be strengthed, standing rigging, etc.
-Z

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I just bought a 1984 Ericson 30+ in April, also in very good condition with many systems/parts replaced and upgraded. We sail in the Gulf Islands, Strait of Georgia in BC but live in Edmonton, Alberta so haven't had all that much time to become familiar with her. Other than the usual maintenance items (eg. replacing gate valves with proper seacocks, ensuring double stainless #300 clamps on all hoses, replacing steering cables, standing rigging, etc.), I heard from one 30+ owner that his cockpit hoses had developed a slight leak, which was hard to track down as they are fairly inaccessible--obviously this could cause eventual sinking, so not to be ignored.
On my boat, the compression post had been redone professionally with a steel plate added on the underside of the deck inside the headliner, and additional support added below the sole; this seems to be a fairly common problem on various size Ericsons.
I recently read Nigel Calder's text entitled something like "Electrical and Mechanical manual" for sailboats, about 800 pages. It goes through every system, describing how it works, identifying potential problems, listing regular maintenance requirements, and troubleshooting repairs. While it is "dry" reading, it is a wealth of information, which has resulted in a mile long list of "to do's" to check and adjust on my boat. I would highly recommend it.
It will be interesting to see how other 30+ owners respond, as this topic is quite timely and of interest to me, given our recent purchase.
Best wishes!
Frank.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
other 30+ owner

Will be in touch when we get back from our cruise 3 weeks, cruisung with Hida Harris an E28+ We Will be in The San Juans as far south as Seattle
Starting in Port Townsend on the 22 July. I have owned "EDEN" for over 10 years our Ericson 30+ be glad to gam about E30+ we have done considerable upgrades we just need new sails. Any Ericson owners in Puget Sound' Let's
get our ships together next week or two.

Charlie and Judi Aboard Eden E30+ # 720 1986:)

therapidone

Member III
#720!!

chasandjudy said:
Charlie and Judi Aboard Eden E30+ # 720 1986

Greetings Charlie and Judy,

Does your HIN end in 86 or 87? The reason I ask is that our 30+ has the serial number 721 & the HIN ends in 87, indicating that it's an 1987 model year even though it was either certified or building began in October of '86.

Have you met any other 30+ owners with a serial number higher than 721? We've only had Spirit since April of '03 but love sailing her...we are either the 3rd or 4th owners of her. She has had her fin modified...shaved about a foot off the fin and had a Mars Metal bulb added...she now draws only 4' 9".

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
HIN and fiscal years

IIRC,the Ericson factory ended its' fiscal year in September, so that boats built in late 86 were considered 87 models. I'm a bit foggy (so many years, so many boats), but I think that was the deal-either way, like the auto manufacturers, it was common to introduce "next years model" late in the year before...Martin may have a better recollection on this.
S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
ours is that way...

Ours is documented and listed as a 1988, and was built in Dec. of 1987.
Vehicle manufacture- prestidigitators of a modern age...:nerd:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
therapidone said:
Greetings Charlie and Judy,

Does your HIN end in 86 or 87? The reason I ask is that our 30+ has the serial number 721 & the HIN ends in 87, indicating that it's an 1987 model year even though it was either certified or building began in October of '86.

Have you met any other 30+ owners with a serial number higher than 721? We've only had Spirit since April of '03 but love sailing her...we are either the 3rd or 4th owners of her. She has had her fin modified...shaved about a foot off the fin and had a Mars Metal bulb added...she now draws only 4' 9".

Regards,

HI FROM CHAS AND JUDY. jUST GOT BACK FROM A 16 DAY CRUISE IN THE SAN JUANS INCLUDING LAKE UNION AND PLACES NORTH AND SOUTH .. NOW, MY SERIAL # IT ENDS IN 87 ,
BOAT WAS CERTIFIED FINISHED IN MARCH. I HAVE A SET OF ORIGINAL BLUE PRINTS WITH ALL THE PLUMBING AND ELECTRICAL WIRING, RIGGING ETC. FOUND A PRISTINE PLAYBOY MAGAZINE BEHIND THE ELECTRICAL PANAL , ALL THE GIRLS THAT USED TO BE TO YOUNG FOR ME ARE NOW TO OLD FOR ME (INTERESTING CONCEPT) FOUND LOTS OF WIRING ERRORS. WE SHOULD GET OUR SHIPS TOGETHER WHERE ARE YOU?

CHARLIE PASH 250 478-3669

therapidone

Member III
Spirit is in the Chesapeake Bay

Greetings Charlie,

Since your HIN ends in '87, that makes your 30+ and '87 model year, too! I don't think either of us is going to be taking either of our boats cross-continent to hook up w/ each other...but if you're ever "back east", you're more than welcome to look us up and take a sail on Spirit.

A group of 6 Ericson owners--all but one from the Chesapeake...the other was from near Philadelphia & sailed down the Delaware River to the Delaware Bay, then across the Chesapeake-Delaware canal, and down the Chesapeake to our raft-up spot, some crew, plus a couple of previous Ericson owners just got together this past weekend near Annapolis...one of the other folks there almost bought Spirit before we did in April of '03! Mark now owns an E-27.

Your cruise must have been delightful...I was recently online checking out real estate in the BC area on Vancouver Island and the Vancouver area itself just for grins and giggles & because of the reputed good sailing.

I'm going to have to dig out our documents on Spirit (I hope all of that stuff is aboard her in the nav desk 'cuz I wouldn't know where to start in the house:redface: ) & see if we have anything near the documentation that you do. However, if I remember correctly, there were no blueprints or wiring diagrams.:boohoo:

I've been behind our electrical panel many times & have found no such treasure trove as you did!:devil:

Regards,