• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jib Sheet Line Recommendations

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I know this is like asking people what kind of varnish they like and why but....
I have rather old XLS sheets now. They are 1/2" which I am comfortable with but will probably go down to 7/16. XLS Extra seems pretty reasonable in terms of price and performance but I wondered if you guys had any other suggestions. 1989 E-38 is the boat. Also wonder if any of you guys have used shroud rollers/covers? I'm talking about the the thin plastic tubes that snap over the shrouds, not the big varnished wooden HeeYaaar Me Hearties! type...:egrin: Just thinking these might speed up the tacks a little where the sheet rubs on the forward lowers as it comes around.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I used to have the thin plastic shroud covers but took them off because I read somewhere (as I recall) that they could trap moisture and induce corrosion. I do know that when I took them off the wire underneath was very dirty.

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Ted-

When we had our pre-purchase survey by Peter Hartoft, he told us to take those thin plastic shroud covers off and keep them off. There was a lot of dirt caught in the wire under the covers. That simply washed away in the rain. He said the shrouds hide and even encourage corrosion.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Yep, our rigger (Mike from Ches RIgging) said the same thing... no covers! He actually said to get rid of as much tape as possible too.

We went with 1/2 trophy braid for our Jib sheets this year. It was replacing 9/16ths. I wouldn't personally go any smaller- but that's just my kind of varnish:nerd: Trophy braid is nice, but not as spectacular as Samson makes it out to be. Just my opinion...
Chris

You going to put that bad mother on the line at Gov Cup??

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have also heard not to use the shroud covers as they can trap moisture, especially at the swage. BUT...I also don't like the headsail chafing on the wire shroud when tacking, as that can't be good for it. My compromise is to buy oversize shroud covers that turn easily on the shroud, still let air (and likely rain) flow, and I give the shrouds an occasional rinse--just slide the shroud cover up and spray fresh water on the shrouds to dislodge any dirt/salt, etc.
In this way, I am hoping to avoid trouble, but still protect my headsails. I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this approach.
Frank.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Frank thats exactly what I was thinking. I bought the 1/4" covers yesterday and did not like how snug they fit so I was going to exchange for 5/16". I want them to roll on the shroud easily. I try to wash all of my standing and running rigging fairly often. Although with the 12"+ of rain we have had in the past 4 days I guess I may be able to take a break...

I have some 7/16 XLS spin sheets that I find a bit too big and heavy for my liking. Maybe I will try them out as jib sheets and see how I like the size before buying. I was thinking of 3/8 Yale Ultralite for spin sheets and a set of 5/16 Yale conception for light air.

I have to go to Cape Cod for family stuff and am going to miss Gov cup. Plan right now is to do the fall Harbor cup up to Baltimore and the race back in oct. Hopefully I can get a new headsail by then. Not sure if it will be a jib or a kite, leaning towards the jib right now. Too much dinghy racing coming up in the next few weeks.

We are taking a cruise this weekend down the bay. Maybe in Solomons on Sunday, Choptank Saturday, Little Choptank Monday , back to Annapolis for the 4th. Race the Jet 14 wednesday and thursday night, then off to Newport for a jet regatta friday, following weekend jet regatta on Lake Sacandaga NY. The Nationals in Annapolis a few weeks later...

Did get the new rigid vang on last night and have a few little things to iron out but man is it sweet to lose the topping lift.:egrin:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
We'll watch for you...

We're heading up to the Little Choptank on Sunday, I think we'll be in Fishing Creek. We monitor 72, 16, 9.
I'm having the rigging replaced this winter and the mast/boom painted. I'm going to have a boom kicker put on when we do that-- I don't want a rigid vang for a couple of reasons, so the boom kicker seems like a good compromise. I'll be glad to be rid of the topping lift:headb: :hoppingmad:
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Shroud rollers

The surveyors are right that they can hide and trap moisture and corrosion, but it seems pretty easy to hose them off after sailing (which I bet you do fairly often anyway) to get the salt out, and you could even raise them above the turnbuckles while the boat is docked, to keep that area aired out....

For boats like this, I would have rollers of some type, and simply take care to make sure the turnbuckles, etc. stay clean and dry while the boat is not sailing...

Whaddayathink?:nerd: (me)

S

hodo

Member III
We use the leather ones from Boat Leather. They are velcroed on, so they can easily be removed and the shrouds rinsed. Not the same as rollers, but we dont race. Harold

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Put 3/8 covers on the fws lowers today. Seem to roll nicely and only on the shroud. Will keep clean and update you guys after this weekend. Finished rigging the vang and lost the topping lift. SWEEEEEEET.