• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for Gulf Coast Yard...

simplemonkey

Member I
As a survivor of Katrina here in the municipal harbor of New Orleans, I feel truly blessed that my boat still floats, but am in a bind when it comes to finding a yard in this area that can handle the handful of projects that need addressing. There are few workers and a backlog of work at the local yards.

Can anyone recommend a reliable boat yard located on the Gulf Coast between say New Orleans and Panama City? I plan on hauling out this fall....in the event there are no more Katrinas headed this way....for a bottom peel / dry and re-coat, and several interior/exterior "fix-ups." All recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.

David
1979 E35-2
"Quo Vadis"
New Orleans, LA

Ray Rhode

Member III
David,

Many of the people I sail with here in the FL panhandle use the Pensacola Shipyard. It's about 50 miles from my location but the local yards are so bad that many make the trip. I haven't been there myself, but plan to use them next time I schedule a haulout. It's a very professional operation and you are allowed to do your own work or hire one of the contractors that work out of there. Here is the URL: http://www.psmc.net.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

simplemonkey

Member I
Thank you!

I am going to give these guys a call today..
Looks like a respectable operation...and what a great reason to sail the coast!?
Thanks again,
David

Ray Rhode

Member III
David,

Let me know how things work out. I like to be able to recommend "good" sources but don't want to turn people on to "bad" ones. Since I don't yet have any personal experience with this yard I'd appreciate your input.

Ray

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I went to the shipyard when I got pulled out after the hurricane in 2004. They did not do all that much for me, since it was just pulling the engine, then hauling the boat out onto a truck, but they were good to work with.

Most of the respected boat workers in Pensacola are contractors there, as are the most expensive workers, and they are not one and the same. Chosing who will work on your boat while you are at the shipyard is a much harder question, Troendle Marine is the most expensive by far, the others have varying reputations. Be wary of winding up paying the yard to keep your boat on the hard while waiting for one of the contractors to do some work (which they are all loathed to do, despite the promises they make).

Do not go to Brown Marine. One of my biggest mistakes was letting myself get talked out of going to the shipyard in 2001 and going to Browns instead, in order to save money. They promised I would be done in 6 days, but took over a year, and overcharged for everything. I ended up winning full claim plus costs against them in court, but still lost money plus the use of my boat for a year.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972