• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Brought the new girl home

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Following is an account of our maiden voyage of our new E35-III. Our first trip was to bring home to Portland, ME from Mattapoisett, MA.

We started out on Friday at 5:15am and headed for the Cape Cod Canal in heavy fog. Luckily I had installed the new chartplotter and radar the weekend before. We arrived at the canal at about 7am with a following sea. The current was to reverse in about 1.5 hours. We made it through to Sandwich at about 8:15am after making about 9kts over ground. Exiting the canal we hoisted sails and sailed for about 5 hours. The weather cleared and we had a wonderfull time sailing. Eventually we were forced to motor as the wind had died and it became increasingly foggy. At one point we spotted a large ship with dark sails in the fog off in the distance. We all looked at her through the binoculers but were unable to identify the type of boat. A few minutes later, she was gone:jollyroge Motoring along at about 6 kts and we saw a thunderstorm over Boston heading our way. We managed to make it to Marblehead and barely skirted the storm. Pulling into Marblehead we hailed the Corinthian YC for a mooring. While speaking on the radio, I realised we had no forward gear. Just then we drifted to a mooring and grabbed it. We checked the linkage and the fluid and everything seemed fine. Upon further inspection we found that the tansmission was dead:headb: Reverse was fine but no forward. As fate would have it, Marblehead is the location of Hansen Marine and they are a large distributor of Hurth transmissions and they were only 1/2 mile away and they were open on saturday:D Becuase the weather turned ugly, we found some rooms for the night and slept.

On saturday, we arose early in anticipation of going to Hansen and finding the parts we needed. Luckily, they had everything we were looking for including a new Hurth tranny. While waiting for my marine mechanic friend, Steve, to drive the 2 hours from Maine, my brother and I disassembled the engine to prepare it to be lifted out of the engine compartment. There are photos of the tranny replacement in the mechanical section of the forums. We started at 9:30am and by 6pm we had a new transmission. Tested, aligned and ready for service.:egrin:

On Sunday we again sailed at 5:15am. We had no wind and motored for a while. Eventually we were able to motor sail. At about 3:30 pm we came upon the wreckage of a lobster or fishing boat about 10 miles off the coast of Maine We radioed the CG and reported our location. This was very spooky:scared: We still don't know what it was from. A little while later, our friends, Cathy and Bob, sailed their Sabre 362 out to welcome us home:cheers: We sailed into Portland harbor at 7pm.

It was a very memorable trip full of ups and downs. Hopefully everything is up from here!

Last edited:

Galley_Slave

Member II
Quite the story, Tim. You should submit that to the local sailing newspapers up your way. The Nor'Eastern(?) magazine might like it, too. You must have beginners luck to a/find a mooring just like that, and b/ have a transmission shop so close with in stock parts. Glad it all worked out so well.