• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I will be gunkholing at Catalina for the 4th!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I will be gunkholing and spending the nights in coves like Rippers, Goat Harbor and Gibraltar at Catalina over the holiday weekend. May end up at the isthmus for a night if I can get a can. Hope to see a few EYO's over there. Happy 4th!

Sven

Seglare
If the Shuttle doesn't launch on schedule we'll be out and about (Catalina, SBI, Anacapa ... ?). If everything is go-for-launch I'll probably be at Johnson Space Flight Center for the docking with the Space Station :-(

No matter what, we'll be out there some part of the Saturday to following Sunday 4th of July week.

-Sven

jkm

Member III
Hey

I'll be over in the Penquin somewhere near two harbors. Got me a new plow anchor, 36lbs, though I'll try for a can.

Biego de Mar----Where are you?????????????????????????????????????????

rgoff

Member III
I'm thinking about leaving Dana Point on Sunday a.m., July 2 and heading for White's Cove. I wonder if I'll be able to get a mooring through the 4th? I'm planning on returning to DP on Friday or Saturday and would head up to Emerald for the rest of the time.

I not real big on anchoring and not even sure I have enough line for the depths around White's.

To those going, have a good trip.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
White's Landing info

White's Landing has 17 moorings and is good place to be in westerlies. Balboa Yacht Club and the Angeles Girl Scout Council share the shore. Great place to anchor, will handle up to 20 boats in 40 to 48 feet of water.

I just may end up there if I can't find a spot at Rippers or Goat.:confused:

I expect crowds!

rgoff

Member III
Jeff,

How was it over the 4th at the island? Get a mooring or had to anchor?

I ended up deciding not to go. Guess I'll have to wait for my September boat trip for it.

Sven

Seglare
Just came back.

Spent the evening of the 3rd and all of the 4th at Santa Barbara Island. Bummer - the island is closed to the public to protect the breeding penguins so we couldn't go ashore and only stayed the one day.

On the 5th we crossed back to Isthmus Cove and met up with a bunch of boats from SMWYC.

Today we had a pretty wonderful sail back to MDR, 6 hours on one tack and only one container ship to dodge.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Penguins?

Hey Ralph,

I am embarrassed to say I never made it to the Island for the Fourth. The other boat I was going to cruise with canceled at the last minute. I did sail over half way across the channel on Saturday the first though. The crew I had with me were not able to go over night. Great wind. Over 23 knots back in Hurricane Gulch when we came back. I also did about a six hour day sail on the Fourth as well, once again over 23 knots.

Hey Sven,

What Penguins are you talking about? :confused: Has Global Warming got so bad at the Poles that Penguins have retreated to the Channel Islands? Did you mean Pelicans? :rolleyes: Sounds like you made great time back to MDR. What is it, about 45 miles?

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
What Penguins are you talking about? :confused: Has Global Warming got so bad at the Poles that Penguins have retreated to the Channel Islands? Did you mean Pelicans? :rolleyes: Sounds like you made great time back to MDR. What is it, about 45 miles?

Hah, you caught me and I'm not going to correct my mistake :)

Isthmus to MDR is around 32 NM, plus some in the marina itself.

MDR to SBI is more like 42-45. The 3-point round trip was 110 NM at a very comfortable pace.

Sorry you got stuck on the mainland.

-Sven

Jayster

Isthmus after the 4th

-Sven

We were moored right behind La Petit on Firday and Saturday (B-10 Wednesday to Saturday). It was a great idea to go to the island AFTER the fourth. It took us 3 and a half hours from Angels Gate on Wednesday afternoon. What a great trip. Perfect weather, no crowds.

Jayster
E-32
Carpe Diem

Sven

Seglare
I tried e-mailing you !

Jayster,

Jayster said:
We were moored right behind La Petit on Firday and Saturday (B-10 Wednesday to Saturday)

We were admiring Carpe Diem and were hoping to get a chance to talk to you about her, but you were alway having company when we happened to row by :)

When I got back I did a search on Carpe Diem in my e-mail archives and also here on EY.org where I foumnd what I guessed was your boat. I sent you an e-mail but it bounced as recipient-not-known. Your post here was a fun surprise !

She looks very nice and you guys seemed to enjoy yourselves as much as we did. We finally sailed back on Sunday.

-Sven

Jayster

-Sven, Here's your invitation: Come on Over! The more the merrier.

A friend of ours brought his boat over (Swan 42) from Dana Point. He is getting ready to do the Transpac for the second time in that boat. His wife had to fly to Pueto Rico due to a death in the family so we wanted to make sure Jorge didn't feel left out. On Friday my wife's sister (and husband) came over, spent the night and sailed back with us on Saturday. We also had our three legged Border Collie with us. Like I said the more the merrier.

Carpe Diem is new to us and I haven't put her on the registry yet. We would be happy to show her to you. We are engaged in a bunch of projects all in various stages on completion. She was deglected for the past couple of years. I would love to get your input and experience dealing with Ericsons.

We are going to try to swing both the weekend of August 12th and Labor Day weekend. We were at the Isthmus last Labor Day on the Swan and had a blast. Having to step through multiple dinghys at the dock after a couple Buffalo Milks was a riot. We will try to make at least two if not three more trips after Labor Day since it is the best time of year over there.

I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

Jay
E-32
Carpe Diem