• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First 5 Day Cruise

omgirl

Member II
We are gearing up to do our first long cruise... 5 days is long for us. From everything we know and have checked, our boat is seaworthy so we feel comfortable in knowing that there are no glaring issues.

We will be coastal cruising and will be within a safe range of land at all times but will be anchoring out etc... We have our route mapped out including multiple anchorage areas and marinas if needed for bad weather alternatives as well.

What other things from a liveability perspective do we need to consider? This is such a novice question but I want to make sure we have fun and bring everything needed to enjoy being out there for 5 days.

Thanks.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cruising

Since you are in Massachussetts, and having grown up sailing out of Woods Hole, I can suggest the Cape and Elizabeth Islands as some of the greatest cruising areas around.

In that area, currents are big factor-they can run up around 3 knots in Vineyard Sound, and up to 6 or so in Woods Hole Passage (and the slots between the other islands in that chain)-and that can be a problem if not planned for..

Otherwise you have the boat-go have fun!

S

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Anchor diversity

I'm not familiar with anchoring in your area. I do recommend having two types of anchors on board to handle different anchoring conditions in unknown anchorages. One should be a plow type and the other a Danforth type. That gives you some diversity in capability.

I was once on a guest on a vessel with only Danfoth type anchors and we were not able to get a good set at all. Fortunately it worked out ok since conditions were mild that night. Another night we just took a transient slip in a marina.

Bon voyage !

Sven

Seglare
omgirl said:
What other things from a liveability perspective do we need to consider?

- A thermos if there is any chance you might get caught out in the cold and need soomething warm. Even lukewarm Ramen is a feast if you are wet and cold and can't cook. Of course, that's assuming you heat it up before you head out.

- A pail or bucket so you can rinse off the deck after the anchor brings most of the bottom aboard. Also needed if you tie up at moorings using sand-lines.

- Your iPod with some good audio books or NPR podcasts.

-Sven

CaptnNero

Accelerant
telescopic squirt gun

For cleaning up after the anchor, I use one of those 3 foot telescopic-hypodermic-style pool squirt guns. With for or five loads I can do a pretty good cleanup at fairly high pressure, and it fits in the anchor locker too.

Another good use for it is hosing down old and new anchorage friends.

At 6'2" on our 32-200, I could reach over the edge of the bow and fill it. It's a lot easier to fill a bucket first and then suck the gun full from the bucket. We have one of those collapsible canvas buckets that is quite handy. I suppose the canvas bucket could easily be stowed in the anchor locker as well.

Sven said:
- A thermos if there is any chance you might get caught out in the cold and need soomething warm. Even lukewarm Ramen is a feast if you are wet and cold and can't cook. Of course, that's assuming you heat it up before you head out.

- A pail or bucket so you can rinse off the deck after the anchor brings most of the bottom aboard. Also needed if you tie up at moorings using sand-lines.

- Your iPod with some good audio books or NPR podcasts.

-Sven

Bob Grenier

Member II
Be flexible…I can’t say that enough…If you can’t make that mark in your comfort range…Be flexible…You can always make that harbor or that anchorage another day.

Some of the best times I’ve ever had was because I stayed a second day on the hook…Instead of beating my body and my boat trying to get some place I thought I wanted to be.

When your out, make a list of the things you don’t have but wish you had…When you get back make a list of the things you took and didn’t use ( other than safety items or spare parts ) Replace the wish list with the list of not needed items…And your set for your next trip.

But most of all just have a good time!

BOB

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This may be a understatement but the last time I did a cruise like that I made sure I had extra parts for the diesel on board.

Belts
Fuel Filters, primary and secondary
Extra oil
Extra fuel, 5 gallons
Water pump impeller & seals
Fuses
Tools!!

Other extras to think of:

Winch Handle
Hand Pump
Stainless screws, nuts & bolts
Batteries
Wood plugs
Hoses

I could go on and on. I keep most of the above items on board all the time anyway as well as all the safety equipment.

To quote Captain Ron again, "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there".

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
pump sprayers

I came up with my own alternative to washing the deck off with saltwater. I use what the surfers use. You can buy these 1 gallon pump sprayers from hardware stores like Home Depot. They are designed for weed killer or pesticides but they come empty for about 12 bucks. You just pump it so the pressure builds up and it has a squirt gun handle. Works great. I always keep it full with fresh water in the lazarette.

Attachments

• PumpSprayermain.jpg
    PumpSprayermain.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
All of this is good advice, but no one has advised on the correct number of cases of beer. I suggest you give this due consideration

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
At least two cases of Sam Adams Light or Bass Ale! If two sounds like a lot, hey you may have guests and it would be poor form to not have cold suds to offer them. RT

omgirl

Member II
Keep these coming!

These are the greatest suggestions... please keep them coming! Wonderful ideas. Thank you!

jkm

Member III
I have to agree with Paul and Rob about the beer.

Don't forget the coffee, did I mention the coffee?

Course over time the beer takes second fiddle to the scotch-taste better when it's warm.

Have fun

J

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

Jeff Asbury said:
You can buy these 1 gallon pump sprayers from hardware stores like Home Depot.

They also come in SS, which can be used for warming the water on the stove for a warm/hot pressure shower in the cockpit (Glyn's suggestion). We got one for that purpose (at OSH) but have yet to use it.

-Sven

Galley_Slave

Member II
A few other things you may or may not have thought of....
Sunscreen
Bug Repellent
Extra batteries for your gizmos and your camera.
Extra zip lock bags (all sizes including the extra large and snack size) They always come in handy for any leftovers, dirty laundry, or parts you might need to keep together should you need to make repairs.
Some clothes pins to hang your towels on the life lines so they dry and don't get all smelly in your head.
A waterproof bag for your important stuff to take with you on your dinghy rides to shore. (I know from personal experience that they work and have saved my expensive camera from becoming just another piece of flotsom. Others on the same dinghy weren't so lucky since they didn't use the bag.)

I would NOT recommend bringing:
Fresh greens such as lettuce. It goes bad quickly, stinks, and looks gross. Eat a salad when you go out to a restaurant instead.
Frozen veggies go bad pretty quickly as well unless you have a freezer.

Hope you have a great voyage.

Fair winds.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Tips...

You need about 1/2 the clothes and food you think...
You need twice the beer, rum, and water you'd think...
Have fun...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Meat Tenderizer...

Don't forget to pack some meat tenderizer (unspiced) in your first aid kit! Jellies and nettles seem less worrisome when you can get the itching/burning to stop...
Chris