• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Another Bayliner Story

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I was just reminded of another Bayliner story - and before more of my brain cells die, I thought I should get it out here to amuse all of you...

This one is about a fellow who used to be across the dock from me. He bought one of those little short Bayliners (23'?) with the big radar bridge on top, etc - and was always over there drinking beer (he was actually pretty friendly - was always coming over to ask me about stuff).

One day I was talking to him and mentioned that I needed to replace one of my thru hulls, and he got this blank look on his face - and said 'What's that?"

"What's what?" I asked

"That thing you mentioned - a 'thru-hull'?" ...

"A thru-hull valve - you know - you have them on your boat...?? They let water in and out of your boat - often below the waterline...???" ...

"Huh?" ...

In the interest of general safety, I stopped what I was doing, and began to explain to him what thru hull valves where, what they did, and why they were important.

(pause - silence)

...Nope... No lights came on. I pressed on...

I explained to him how, in the event of flooding, knowing about your thru-hulls could save your (and your crew/guests) life/lives - especially here in Puget Sound - where at the height of summer, the water is a toasty 57 degrees.

"Oh, THAT".... he said... "That's not a problem - sinking, I mean..."

"Oh?" I asked, "...And why is that?"

He smiled.

"Because the second I realize I'm sinking, I'll just floor it and head for the beach!". :thinker:

(silence) :rolleyes_d:

(more silence)

I went back to what I was doing before he came over...

Then I began to ponder over Charles Darwin's work, wondering if this is how he felt at times.... :p

//sse​

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
What is a thru hull?

:D

Nice write up Sean.

Growing up as a power boater I can definitely understand his mind set: "My motor gets me outta any trouble."

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Well that sums up the average Bayliner owner AND probably 50% of the powerboaters in one story! Fantastic. Keeps the USCG and salvage companies busy. RT

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a very good friend that owns a Bayliner 26. I couldn't resist but to share this one of many stories he has told me. He was out in heavy seas, as always seems to be the case with him. Anyway he had this 30 or 40 gallon bait tank bolted to his transom and swim stage. It was just too much for the swim stage and it broke loose taking the swim stage with it and pulling the bolts right out of the transom. He was 15 miles off Dana Point and was taking on water fast in a location where he could not stop the leaks. So he just gunned it and raced back the 15 miles. When he got back the stern of the boat was submerging fast. He managed to get it into the slip and got a bunch of guys to lift the stern with the dock lines and tie it off before it sank. He now has the bait tank where it should be. In side the gunwales.

He still has the boat and is in the expensive process of re powering it with diesel from gas and has completely gutted the interior and said he's investing another 20K in this tub he already has spent about 40K on?

Bull Bayliner owners, I just don't get it.

Ray Rhode

Member III
There is a simple explanation for powerboaters. Carbon monoxide is known to destroy brain cells.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Kevlarpirate

Member II
Sailboat owners can be stupid too

Unfortunately, I see the same core incompetence occur with sailboat owners doing stupid things. This I see this regularly when beating up at Angels Gate, Los Angeles Harbor.
An area with heavy commercial traffic. I watch with amazement and cringe when I see a sailor but his boat in a collision course with a ship or tug. The sailboat is usually in run down condition. I was recently a passenger on a tall ship and was amazed with the number or sailboats approaching for a look . Our captain had to alter course more than once, and was very stressed to say the least. I an always concerned we will ultimately
be subjected to licensing. But I ask how bad can that be? I would like to hear comments.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Have to agree with you there David. That is my stomping ground as well. In four years of sailing through that channel to get back to my slip I have seen some really stupid things. Once there I saw this guy with a beat up Catalina 22 that was on a starboard tack with his jib sheet still tied off to port. He was all tangled up. He had his girlfriend with him who had a look of shear panic on her face. It must have been blowing 18 knots. I came close to them as I was making my way up the main channel, but I gave them a wide berth. I felt like I wanted to help out but I was single handing my boat. He was quite close to the break wall. I saw no experience at all. As I recall, I think he finally dropped the rags.

There was this other guy on a Trimaran that was trying to sail out of his slip at my marina. When he lost control of the boat he was trying to throw a line to us on the docks and came very close to crashing into my boat. He had a outboard that was out of the water. I asked him if it worked and he said "oh yeah", like he had forgot he had one or something.

I also see a lot of derelict boats with miss matched sails that came straight from Minny's or Jib Kelly's junk bins. Sails that are too big or too small. Sails that look like their just about to blow out when it starts gusting to 20 kts in Hurricane Gulch. Lots of boats that should have a reef in but don't.

This is a very busy area. I have really been knocked around by wakes from the big power boats at times. I have two boats cross my bow from both directions with as little as 50 yards. And what about those idiots on the wave runners and jet skis, clueless!!

Not sure about mandatory licenses, I have never really given it that much thought. Right now the Boater's Safety Course is strictly voluntary from the coast guard. It might be a good idea. If everyone really knew how to Skipper a boat it just might be a lot less congested in the Harbor when half of them flunk the test.

Hard to understand why anyone would want to play chicken with a Tug or Container Ship!

Jim Mobley

Member II
Ah, come on Jeff, the Catalina's on starbord tack. That Evergreen container ship will just alter course, right. ;)

Kim Schoedel

Member III
It never ceases to amaze us when boats (power or sail) come into a dock without their fenders out nor mooring lines ready. Mostly notice the hydrocarbon burners do this act, but have seen a few sailboats as well. Quite frankly, when we come in to our birth, I shudder when people on the dock want to be "helpfull". We have a routine, it works well and my wife and I know exactly what our duties are. Just love it when people start yanking on the stansions and such. Ok, enough negatism from me. Should be thankful that people want to help, Huh? Now if they had a cold beer ready for me I may have a different additude!!!!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I agree Kim. I often face the issue of how to tell eager helpers on the dock to not touch anything without sounding like a jerk. I'd rather they just stepped back so the one crew-member has room to step off the boat and secure the rear spring for me.

Heck, even if I come in alone (as long as it's fairly calm). I'd typically rather drop the rear spring on the dock cleat myself, and leave it in reverse idle while I secure the rest of the lines. You just never know how some baffoon is going to yank you around as you glide perfectly into your slip. :)

Anyways, I've got a "bayliner" story of my own now. We just moved into a waterfront home at the mouth of the Union River in Ellsworth, ME, so I am getting a few opportunities to observe the motorboats heading between Blue Hill bay and Ellsworth harbor. Today, a newer model bow-rider came idling past, heading upriver (against a good current), billowing vast clouds of thick, smelly, grey smoke from it's open engine compartment. There appeared to be a woman and a teenage boy on board, and they kept pacing back to peer at the engine nevously, then back to the helm, as though they were just hoping they'd make it the remaining TWO MILES upstream before the engine was completely seized. As they passed me the engine began coughing and nearly lost it, so I walked down to offer assistance to the soon-to-be dead in the water vessel, but they just backed off even further on the throttle, until they were barely making headway, and continued to abuse the distressed engine. :( I felt like tossing quarts of oil into their boat from shore or something. ;)

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Power boats

Working in a boat yard, it just astounds me the amount of repair work we do to sailboats hit by powerboats. I have quite a picture archive. I did enjoy seeing the damage inflicted to a Ski boat by the Baba 30 the ski boat hit.

soup1438

Member II
Nigel Barron said:
Working in a boat yard, it just astounds me the amount of repair work we do to sailboats hit by powerboats. I have quite a picture archive. I did enjoy seeing the damage inflicted to a Ski boat by the Baba 30 the ski boat hit.

Isn't there a site like that on the 'net for automobile wrecks? I know there is one for "beaters" which are not *claimed* to be wrecks but just look like 'em.

So maybe a nice site w/ the identifying numbers smudged out might be more than merely amusing... and, at the same time, educational.

Sometimes... paranoia is a *good* thing.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Slow Hazards on the Water

Well, you know - those guys (those stink pot guys) have trouble with things getting in THEIR way. Slow boats, like sailboats, are hazards to them - so I guess we should understand. :rolleyes:

We're not the only thing that slows them down, however - things like channel markers (below) also present a hazard to them - so perhaps they should be removed as well (they don't need them anyhow - you know, those "...stick things with the green and red signs on them..."

//sse

ps: Note the name of the boat below...

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 200

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sean,

Bet he had the chartplotter running the autopilot and put in the #3 as a waypoint.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

Shadowfax

Member III
Actually I’m familiar with this picture. It was taken about 4 or 5 years ago in the Chesapeake. The day mark marks the channel into a marina right next to the Annapolis Bay Bridge on the eastern shore, at Kent Island. The event apparently caused by our hero being suitably inspired by the very high powered cigarette boat races being held that weekend around Kent Island. He apparently “lost it” while maneuvering the channel out to the bay. If I recall he broke his arm and shoulder, not to mention his boat

CaptnNero

Accelerant
As I recall his passenger also survived. They were heading out of the channel at about 1am and were doing 50 mph.

Shadowfax said:
Actually I’m familiar with this picture. It was taken about 4 or 5 years ago in the Chesapeake. The day mark marks the channel into a marina right next to the Annapolis Bay Bridge on the eastern shore, at Kent Island. The event apparently caused by our hero being suitably inspired by the very high powered cigarette boat races being held that weekend around Kent Island. He apparently “lost it” while maneuvering the channel out to the bay. If I recall he broke his arm and shoulder, not to mention his boat