• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mainsheet traveler, Ericson 30+

tilwinter

Member III
I was thinking of upgrading the traveler car and the cam cleats on my Schaefer mainsheet traveler, which I think is original to the boat. Does anyone have experience which buying upgraded hardware from Schaefer, versus simply replacing the entire system, track and all?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Originally posted by tilwinter
I was thinking of upgrading the traveler car and the cam cleats on my Schaefer mainsheet traveler, which I think is original to the boat. Does anyone have experience which buying upgraded hardware from Schaefer, versus simply replacing the entire system, track and all?

Lately, I seem to hear that Harken is the top quality system with best support and engineering, and that Garhauer is lowest in price, albeit with more weight and not so much engineering. I would get a quote from both. Both have web sites, and Harken has a "gear spec" part of their site where you plug in your boat stats and it shows suggested models for your application.
A traveler that rolls freely under heavy loads going to weather sure makes your day better...
:D

Loren
'88 Olson 34 with Harken traveler from the factory. Thank you, Ericson.

jwolfgra

Member II
Garhauer

I've spoken with the people at Garhauer about a traveler. They were quite happy to custom build a replacement which would fit my existing mounting pattern. I found them to be real friendly and supportive.

For a variety of reasons, I ended up patching something together with a variety of blocks and bits of track. It worked out pretty well and was inexpensive.

If I were going to replace the entire unit, I would definitely work with Garhauer. Hope this helps.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I believe that Ronstan makes a car that will fit the old Schaeffer track. However, I ended up replacing everything with a Harken unit (curved to fit the profile of the coach roof) on my 32-3. I opted for the Harken high beam to span the hatch. However, I believe that Harken now makes a metric spaced beam that will match the existing bolt holes for the Schaeffer track.