• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

T-shirt copyright infringement?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hello all! I'm the new owner of a '87 Ericson 32-3. Originally called "Vivace" out of Annapolis, we're renaming her "Vesper" and we're out of the same marina, Port Annapolis as the previous owners. Needless to say my wife and I are very excited about our new "old" boat and are looking forward to many great years with her.

I was also intrigued by the Ericson reputation and it's nifty logo. So much so that I have an idea and tag line for a t-shirt that I'd like to produce and possible offer for sale, at cost, here or maybe on something like eBay. (I sell there quite often.) However, being a photographer and wary of copyright laws I was wonder if there would be a problem with producing T-shirts, with the Ericson logo, and not get into a hassle with Pacific Seacraft which I believe owns the name and molds. I guess this is a question form any copyright lawyers out there. :egrin:

Bolo
"Vesper" 32-3 hull #722

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Logo ownership, etc.

Pacific Seacraft Corporation owns several of the Ericson molds as well as the name and logos of Ericson Yachts. They have permitted EY.o to use the logo and name without any issue - and have not fussed about any of the private gear that's been made, etc.

If you were to start making these items for profit for a larger audience (those outside of EY.o or local owners clubs), then you might have a problem with trademark infringement, and may wish to contact them first. eBay and others have grown to the point now where the sales there are seen as commercial activity (ie; storefront instead of garage sale), so you're in a gray area.

As an aside, we've been talking about starting a 'gear' section on this site as well. There are a number of people who produce 'Ericson Stuff', etc - and it would provide a nice contact point, etc.... If there enough interest, I'm sure we could pursue it...

//sse

omgirl

Member II
Sean - I think a 'gear' section on this site is a great idea... I would love to see one location for Ericson gear. Not that you need more work to do with this site...!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Tag line for the t-shirt

Sean,

OK, I think a gear line for the site is a very good idea to and you can use the tag line I came up with for the front or back. "Ericson, sail like a Viking."

Bolo

:egrin:

Last edited: