• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 add weight to keel?

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I would like to add weight to the keel of my 35-2. I am told that the hollow space which exists in the keel of these boats (forward of led casting) is sufficient for 400 lb of extra lead shot. Has anyone already done this. It would be great to talk to someone who has before I begin. Anyone? I'm assuming that I can make a hole in the bilge floor, pour in the lead and follow it with a resin chaser and then glass the hole back over, but then I'm just guessing. How much thickness of material is there between the bilge floor and the hollow area in the keel? How much resin can be poured at one time without creating dangerous amount of heat in the keel or over swelling? I mean, hello, just don't know. Thanks in advance for any info.

whoulihan

more lead

Why do you want more weight?
You could contact Bruce King, the architect, and ask him. Since the hull was assembled from two pieces and glassed together there may be an issue with the addtitional weight.
Let me know what you discover.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Unless you plan to lengthen the rig to carry more sail, why
do you want to do this? This has come up before about modifying
models with encapsulated keels and the answer has always
been "not advisable". The 35 mk 2 was a successful design
from day one, had a long production run, and is now considered
something of a classic from that era. Adding weight down
low will only place additional stresses on the hull and rig and
based on what just happened to Maverick, I'd be doing