• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e23 sails....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
anyone an expert on e23 sails? i am looking for a nice set..are north ok for the 23? do folks ise a heavy and light main? bloobers, etc?...thanx...:boohoo:

Bob in Va

Member III
Seth is the source...

He knows the boat, knows sails, and will give you the best advice on what options to choose based on your sailing conditions. Do what he says.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
23 sails

Thanks Bob.

"R",

The first question is what type of sailing are you doing? Strictly day sailing/cruising? Mostly day sailing but some club racing? Mostly racing?

Then, once we know the type of use your sails will be needed for and where (I assume a lake in Colorado?), we can tink about what you need.

On a boat this size you do NOT need 2 mainsails-unless you are very serious about your racing, and want to keep the race main fresh-then you mght have a cruising main and a race main, but very few 23's are sailed like that.

Bloopers?:0305_alar :0305_alar :0305_alar Be thankful the world figured out these were created by the :devil: , and never helped much, if at all. The theory behind these was not that they added any speed, but they "dragged" the boat more to leeward, thus helping VMG dead downwind. When they were used it was on very long legs, since it took some time to set them, get them trimmed up, realize they were not helping, and then take them down!! Their biggest value was for photo opportunities-as they do look cool-but are no fun to use!

If I were were doing a little of both cruising and racing, I would have 1 main, a 155% all purpose genoa, and a 100-105% heavy air jib, and a .6 oz spinnaker-preferably an A-sail. Too many sails means too many decisions, and sailing smaert and well is ore important than having the perfect sail up-especially on a shifty lake.

North makes very nice racing sails (and cruising sails) but usually are priced significantly higher than other high quality sailmakers, and LOTS more than the low cost guys. I WOULD invest in quality sails, but on a boat this size I don't think they can offer you enough value to offset the premium-UNLESS you have a local North guy you know and will treat you well.
Hope that helped!

S

rbonilla

yea Seth...that info helps a lot....I worked (and met my wife) @ north...sorta wanted north sails for both quality & historical reasons...I don't mind paying a premium for a good sail....anyway, i will keep your advice in mind...i guess I will be lookin' for a main and a set of headsails and a spnkr.....i will let you all know as I come across them....we will be doing some light, local racing, mostly family crusing...and a ocassional sail in the bay area or so cali....thanx !!!

rbonilla

thanx Bob...sounds like Seth is "da man"...ea?
:egrin:

Bob in Va said:
He knows the boat, knows sails, and will give you the best advice on what options to choose based on your sailing conditions. Do what he says.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
North is Ok

If you have a connection to the Evil Empire ;) , then by all means use it. North makes good sails in general. Having worked for their competitors most of my sailmaking life, I have always thought they were a bit too proud of the product (not worth the premium), and the fact that small boat sails, like for the 23, were typically built in Sri Lanka-or one of the other low cost operations North has, and these sails are not the North quality you are talking about.

Having said that-it is possible to get great sails from them, and if you have a good connection there, use it!!

Enjoy!!

rbonilla

cool Seth....thanx for the comments...i will keep the info in mind...

Seth said:
If you have a connection to the Evil Empire ;) , then by all means use it. North makes good sails in general. Having worked for their competitors most of my sailmaking life, I have always thought they were a bit too proud of the product (not worth the premium), and the fact that small boat sails, like for the 23, were typically built in Sri Lanka-or one of the other low cost operations North has, and these sails are not the North quality you are talking about.

Having said that-it is possible to get great sails from them, and if you have a good connection there, use it!!

Enjoy!!