• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Ericson 36 RH owner

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
The name of the boat is "Irish Rover", null number 6 (1981)

For twenty years she made berth out of Lake Texoma, TX.

She made her way to Lake Michigan, hailing out of Kewaunee, WI.

I'll be the 3rd owner if she passes survey :)

We have yet to make up our minds as to her new berth;
  • Reef Point Marina, Racine, WI
  • North Point Marina, Winthrop Harbor, IL

Looking forward to many years sailing our new Ericson,

Jason and Sheila McPeak
Gurnee, IL

ericson.jpg
ericson2.jpg

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats & Welcome!

Hey Jason -

An early congratulations and welcome to the pack - very pretty boat!

We hope that if you have any questions or concerns about her, you'll let us know - you'll have the attention of many Ericson owners from all over the country... :egrin:

//sse

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Sweet Ride

Hey welcome (almost) to the Ericson Family,

I sailed on a E36 RH last weekend in a regatta. What a wonderfull boat!!!

They are one of the best boats around and I must say I am Envious.

Wes Zimmerman
"SAILSCALL"
1975 E 29 #371

Grande Lake Oklahoma

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Forgot to mention in my first post; I want to thank Seth for his help.

I found this sight while I was in the process of looking.

I looked around the boards and found Seth. He didn't mind me contacting him directly through e-mail.

I'm really glad a resource like this exists.

Mindscape

Member III
Congrats

Jason,
Congrats on your new boat! I'm in Southport Marina in Kenosha. I believe there is a 36 in the Southport yard right now. It sails out of Monroe. Seth has sailed on it before.
If you are still choosing between Northpoint and Reefpoint: we sail to both and find Reefpoint a nicer spot, due to the proximity of the downtown and places to eat, shop and hang out. But both are nice facilities. Either way enjoy your new boat!

Peter

Congratulations I am sure you will enjoy the boat. They sail well.

Peter Corless
Vendange
Ericson 36 RH Hull 4

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
We choose Reefpoint for exactly the same reasons you mentioned Frank.

We are on E10 slip 43 - all set with Deb. Boat won't be in there until the week of June 5th.

I took my power boat up to where the boat is being stored - Milwaukee Marine. Seems to be a slight depth problem. It is just on the other side of the 1st Street bridge. I went through there 6x with my depth finder knowing that 36 RH has a deep draft - 6'3" according to the manual. It is gonna be tight fit - really tight, with inches to spare if I keep closer to the north pier of the bridge, it is deeper there than in the middle. Also 1 more railroad tressel and 1 more bridge to open before I'm in the clear. Think I'll make sure that universal is running well before I get under way.

Anyone no of any good advice for sailing with an inch of water under the keel? :) - besides having my V8 powered boat sitting right there ready to pull?

Peter any tips about the universal? (assuming you still have the original diesel)

Thanks!

Peter

I have a new Universal engine 25 HP currently has about 150 hours on it. I t was put in 3 months before II purchased the boat in March 2004. Previous boats I 've owned have never had problems. I change the oil about every 100 hrs and the fuel filters every 300 hrs. The E36 RH has a very tight stern tube be carefull on alignment as the shaft can erode the tube if it rubs.

Peter

Sailsteve

Maybe we should start a sub group of 36 owners?

Congrats on your purchase! You bought a real winner.

I own Glory Days, E36-RH hull # 18, also a 1981 boat. I've had her for the past 5 years and have done a lot to upgrade interior systems (plumbing, electrical, etc) and fix wrongs done to her by previous owners. I just finished installation of a new teak plywood headliner in the main cabin. My boat is moored at the City Island Yacht Club in New York.

If there's anything at all you need to know about your boat I would be pleased to give you my two cents. But, as long as you have Seth advising you there's probably no need to ask me anything.

You will discover that this is an awesome sailing vessel. She is fast, and really feels secure in a blow. Enjoy her.

Steve Schwartz

Sailsteve

Glory Days

Thought you might want to see a sister ship. This is Glory Days at her mooring.

Steve

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=1429&stc=1&d=1149202165[/IMG]

Attachments

• Glory Days ps.jpg
    Glory Days ps.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,329

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Steve,

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see some pics of that headliner. The white vinyl after 25 years isn't so white anymore. I might take you up on that offer for information regarding the interior systems work you did :)

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Love that color. Is that a very dark blue?

Sailsteve said:
Thought you might want to see a sister ship. This is Glory Days at her mooring.

Steve

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/attachment.php?attachmentid=1429&stc=1&d=1149202165[/IMG]

Sailsteve

I'll take a few pics

It's what the previous owner called "flag blue." It's a nice dark Awlgrip color that looks great but absorbs heat. The mast is also painted dark blue (just try to shimmy up in a bosun's chair on a hot summer day... that sucker could melt rubber! I think Nathaniel Herreshoff once said something like, ...there are only two colors for boats white and black, and you'd have to be crazy to have a black one. I guess dark blue has the same effect.

I'll try to take a couple of pics of the headliner this weekend and email them to you...or maybe post them here.

Steve

clayton

Member III
Ericson 36 RH

There is a 36RH listed "Sale Pending" on Yachtworld.com in Rhode Island that has an interior salon shot showing an installed wood overhead liner. Someone did a nice job...Good luck!
Clayton

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
That wood overhead liner does look nice.

woodliner.jpg

clayton said:
There is a 36RH listed "Sale Pending" on Yachtworld.com in Rhode Island that has an interior salon shot showing an installed wood overhead liner. Someone did a nice job...Good luck!
Clayton

Sailsteve

Here's my cabin roof...

Jason,

I took a couple of pix of my new cabin interior and I've included a before picture as well...

The previous owner had taken off the wood around the ports and covered the entire ceiling with a foam backed headliner cloth... (He also turned the starboard settee into a dinette setup... It looks okay, but his workmanship was awful). The cloth headliner was awful and showed every water stain. I replaced it all. Under the decks I used regular formica screwed into pieces of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood cut into 1.5 inch wide strips as lath. I made paper templates of all the shapes I needed to cut. It was a bear to cut the formica into the proper shape without cracking it. I replaced the original Lewmar ports with new Atkins Hoyle ports. It was the only new port I could find that fit the holes from the old ports. The main cabin roof and sides are all hidden behind 1/8th inch marine grade teak plywood. I like the grain pattern when it is oiled. Also, since the interior ceiling is not flat I screwed in more pieces of 1/2" marine plywood strips as lath. All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

If you have anything you need to know just ask.

Steve
E36-RH "Glory Days"

Attachments

• INTERIOR CABIN.jpg
    INTERIOR CABIN.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 156
  • PORT CABIN.jpg
    PORT CABIN.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 188
  • BEFORE.jpg
    BEFORE.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 140

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Did you keep the forward berth in white? Looks like it in the pick. Also looks like you keep the ceiling above the side berths white - contrast is nice.

Did you need to adhere new wood blocks to fiberglass to screw into? If so what do you use as an adhesive?

Thanks!

Sailsteve

Details

Jason,

I made the lath strips about 1.5 " wide and screwed them into the cabin roof with small stainless steel screws. I countersunk the screws in the strips so that I had a flat surface to screw into. Then I made paper templates for the various pieces in various spots. Holding the formica and later the plywood pieces in place I used very short panhead screws to attach. Wherever there was a line of screw heads showing, I covered it up with a nice strip of teak (countersunk holes soon to be filled with small teak bungs). I chose an off-white formica to go with the wood and it really came out looking good.

When you mount the lath pieces to the ceiling you need to drill small pilot holes through the lath being very careful not to drill all the way through the deck. My technique was to make a number of lath pieces at one time doing all the counter sunk holes at the same time. Then having two drills handy, one with a phillips driver and the other with a very narrow drill bit, is essential. First you drill a small hole through your countersunk lath spot, then srrew it in with the other drill. I should say at this point that I did the entire inside without the use of any adhesive at all.

The vee berth still has the cloth headliner. It wasnt in as bad shape as the main salon and I thought to myself, ...let's not be obsessive here.

Other than cutting the formica (you have to score it and snap it rather than cut it) the worst is over once you've made the templates out of paper. I also discovered that because the main entry hatch opening is only about two feet wide you have to cut all of the pieces to a smaller size just to get them in the door.

It's kind of a big job to do the headliner. Enjoy your new boat this summer. This makes a great over-the-winter project.

Steve