• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Holding Tank.

jwolfgra

Member II
Hi everyone - I'm sure this a popular topic!

I have an Ericson 29 hull #190. I think that my holding tank is not original equipment and would like to replace it. The tank is a flixible tank installed in a locker in the forward half of the starbord setee. The access ports to the area are relatively small, and I've been a bit concerned about trying to fit an adequately sized hard wall tank in that area.

In my bilge there are support brackets which appear to have been used to hold some form of tank or another. I'm wondering if that might have been the location of the original tank. If anyone has any wisdom on this, I'd be greatful. I'm assuming that the fundemental design between the E27, E29 and E32 from a early 70's vintage is consistent, so comments from owners of those boats would be welcome as well.

regards,

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I know bladder tanks have their detracters, but I have to say I like them. Especially in a smallish boat where the best places to cram a tank are shaped too weird to fit one in. I have a bladder for the holding tank in my 35-2 under the v-birth port side. I can easily flip it over and disinfect all its outside surfaces without removing any hoses. Also, the area immediately under the holding tank can be disinfected and wiped down without any disassembly. As long as there are no sharp edges on the cabinet work that craddles these tanks, they are pretty darn sturdy.

jwolfgra

Member II
Thanks, sometimes the solution is so obvious. Now the simple question, what do you use for disinfectant, Bleach, Pinesol, Ammonia, Simple Green?

Sounds like I saved myself hours of ugly work.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
My favorite product for cleaning around the holding tank is Lysol kitchen cleaner with bleach. It just seems to do a really good job. (keep it away from the cushions though). I also keep one of those mildew arresting hang up things in the locker with the holding tank and the tank has one of those plastic breathable cockpit gratings under it. That way there is no trapped moisture under the rubber tank to breed beasties. It all seems to work really well as far as the odor issues go.