• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transom crack

Tom De Forrest

The gelcoat on the upper radius of the transom of my '72 E27 is cracked, more or less along that radius, and for much of it's width port to starboard.
The crack was evident at the time of purchase in 1999. The surveyor judged it to be adequately repaired, but subject to worsening, and recommended it be inspected annually. The repair used (about 1992 per the p.o.) was to through bolt an 18" x 1" x 1/8" SS C channel at the center of the
transom. The bolts appear to be 1/4" or 5/16".
I have not noticed any lengthening of the crack since purchase. I am considering filling the visible portion of it this spring, although I am concerned that the fill job will simply crack over the short term.
Has anyone experienced gelcoat cracking in this area before?
I have heard that this type of cracking is frequently found on this make and model. Can anyone substantiate or disprove that?
Any insight as to whether my concerns regarding filling are justified?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

tim

My E-27 has gelcoat cracks along top edge of the transom and a little around the chain plates. I had a neighbor who is a composite engineer look at and tell me it is mostly superficial expecpt for the fact that not repairing it could lead to future problems due to water being able to work its way under it and not dry quickly plus the will continue to spread like a crack in the windshield of a car. He told it was easy to fix I needed to scrape and clean the crack real good with a razor blade and acetone then apply the gelcoat and sand it down. My first concern is going to be the crazing around the chain plates. good luck Tim Thurner Pailolo

achapman

I think this is a common problem with this boat as well as the E-29 which I have. It does appear to be a surface crack. I think it occures because ERICSON didn't lay glass on the outside of the hull to deck joint. The inside of my E-29 has several layers along this joint but none on the outside. I am planning to lay 2 or 3 layers of glass mat on the outside next summer. I think that filling the crack will only last a few years. GOOD LUCK

Hans

I can attest that your underlying transom wood is at risk if no repair is made. I am beginning the same repair process this week end.

bbboat

Member II
I had a similar crack in my E39. A fiberglass guy who has done a lot of work on the boat said it's cosmetic. He filled it prior to Awlgripping the deck and transom, but he did say that he guaranteed it will come back.

He suggested bedding a length of metal rubstrake or a piece of wood trim to permanently cover/seal the problem.