• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coffee Maker & other cooking neccessities?

omgirl

Member II
I have just realized that for me, having hot coffee will be my #1 food priority on our new boat. What is the most tried and true method for coffee brewing? Not looking for instant... need to be able to brew it. Looking for speed in preparation, ease of cleaning, etc... French press, percolator? Any recommendations or tips?

Also - what other 'must-haves' are there for general stocking and cooking on-board? We aren't gourmet cooks but want to be able to make things regularly and enjoy more than mac-n-cheese every now and then. Any great tips out there on things that one shouldn't live without or things that are nice to have?

:0305_coff

Richard Elliott

Member III
Coffeemaker

I have had great luck with the Coleman coffeemaker which sits on a propane stove burner. It is just like the electric 10-12 cup makers used at home.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Dunking bags

Before you give up on instant coffee, try the dunking bags. I use a tea kettle to heat the water then start dunking (I prefer Folgers). Tastes better than instant and no coffee grounds to spill...

evm

Member II
omgirl said:
I have just realized that for me, having hot coffee will be my #1 food priority on our new boat. What is the most tried and true method for coffee brewing? Not looking for instant... need to be able to brew it. Looking for speed in preparation, ease of cleaning, etc... French press, percolator? Any recommendations or tips?

Also - what other 'must-haves' are there for general stocking and cooking on-board? We aren't gourmet cooks but want to be able to make things regularly and enjoy more than mac-n-cheese every now and then. Any great tips out there on things that one shouldn't live without or things that are nice to have?

I use a french press for coffee. I just happened to find a lexan one for $5 once. (The point being that standard size lexan french presses are available).
Having dropped it on the cabin sole a few times I can say that lexan is >GOOD<.

For those lazy mornings (when you want to go faster) I have a via vento stovetop expresso maker :D

The french press is the way to go. You can make coffee, tea and hot coco for the kids all at the same time.

THe standard blade grinder works well one beans too (with a small inverter).

Regards, Ethan

Guy Stevens

Espresso Maker

We have a ton of espresso in our wake. From Alaska to New Zealand we purchased an all stainless steel model from The Good Coffee Company on Post Ave in seattle. One of the best pieces of gear we have ever invested in....

The french press with the lexan carafe works great for loose tea as long as everyone wants the same flavor.

Guy
:)

Gary Freeburg

Member II
I've owned and broken about every coffee maker made. What I've had on board for the past many years is a cheap plastic filter holder purchased at a grocery store for less than $2. Buy a few filters that fit, grind a couple of pounds of the good stuff and fit the contraption on top of a preheated thermos. Pour very hot water through the lot and enjoy hot coffee until it's gone. When my wife is aboard, a little Bailey's Irish Cream sweetens the mixture.

Gary

jkm

Member III
This POST is very close to my heart.

Strong coffee in the number one food and drink item on my boat.

I purchased an inverter to run a new Braun drip coffee maker-no deal (made noise no coffee)

I purchase an enamel percolater to use on the stove-terrible tasting mud

Bought the $2 merlita filter holder-dropped on floor took a week to clean up the grounds.

Brought down my loves small GLASS Bodum Frence Press-on Monday bought her a new one

Then I found it a Polycarbonate UNBREAKABLE read UNBREAKABLE French Press by Bodem ( found at Coffee Tea and Bean)----Now I load up on coffee. Oh yes I have two small backpacking campstoves (propane and white gas) in case I run out of CNG.

Good Coffee

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
we use the tea bag style coffee for guests, other friends have an old stove top percolator they swear by.
As far as food goes, I often make a lasagna or homemade baked mac & cheese and bake them 80% done, then refrigerate. Then I finish them in the oven on the boat. Perfect for those cooler nights when having a warm cabin to go down to is nice... not super in august on the chesapeake :unsure: But either way, you don't use a ton of gas to cook a great meal.

Also- the crew's favorite recipe of my wife's:
1 blue or red plastic party cup half full of ice
1.5 oz Mount Gay Eclipse Rum
fill 2/3rds orange juice
fill final 3rd with cranberry juice
repeat often (we make the juice mix in a pitcher)

also fantastic with Mount Gay Mango Rum
Chris

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Anticipation

After struggling with the old-fashioned percolator and usually having burnt-tasting coffee, we're taking the french press this year. We may try pouring through a mellita (?) filter into our insulated carafe - which keeps the coffee hot through mid-afternoon. It has a glass bottle inside. Seems like the key with the mellita is to get one that holds enough coffee to make a full carafe, right?. We grind beans - we have a 110V grinder. Manual grinders are out there, too.

I thought it would be nice to smell the perking coffee wafting around the boat, like when we visited Grandma's house. But Grandma never had Tully's or any of those $10 per pound roasts to ruin with too much heat. :)

Some of our cruising friends just use a 110V drip-type, but you will need an inverter when you're on the hook.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I mainly use the Mellita plastic drip #2 funnel with filters into a thermos like the one shown here. Just boil water in a kettle and pour it through. Then if I want a espresso I use this do hicky found at REI for camping. Makes great espressos as well as Laties and steams milk. Space is limited on my E-27, so these two devices are a blessing!

Attachments

• RI.jpg
    RI.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 168
  • espresso_maker_camping.jpg
    espresso_maker_camping.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 213

mark reed

Member III
Thermos French press

We got a Nissan Thermos French press last year and I really love it! Unbreakable and keeps the coffee warmer longer. They're about $30 but should last a long time.

Guy Stevens

Hey Jeff

We started with one of those, worked well, but was too much work for our brains in the morning. We moved up the the one we have now for expresso. It works loads better, and being all stainless looks very yachty. It makes 12 shots of espresso, and steams milk simultanously.

I will try to get a photo of it up here tomorrow.

Guy
:)

evm

Member II
Melita works OK

I do loke the Melita filters but found them too shaky for offshore use. That I why I use the french press.

This URL lists common stovetop expresso makers:

http://fantes.com/espresso_stovetop.htm

Here is my expresso maker:

Regards, Ethan

Attachments

• espresso.jpg
    espresso.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 177

evm

Member II
Melita filters

Oh yea, when I was using a melita I bought the gold plated mesh filter. It worked just about as good as the paper filters and was easy to clean up.... Recommended.

stbdtack

Member III
like Southern Cross, I bought a nissan thermos french press. All Stainless and keeps the coffee hot long enough for me to get to the 2nd mug.

jeff_mc

Member I
find a lexan french press, you wont regret it.
the most important cooking item is by far the bar-b que.
dont leave home without it.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
We always stock Kahlua to fortify the coffee when we've just finished a cool rainy transit.

-- neal

omgirl said:

Galley_Slave

Member II
We use our old fashioned stainless steel percolator for coffee. Since we'd have to boil water anyhow for instant :eek:, or a French press, we might as well make it in the perc. It's readily available at West Marine and other marine supply stores.
Here's a real nice "after sail/dinner, settle in to watch the stars" coffee drink.
Cancun Coffee
(per serving)
1 slice of lime
sugar
1/2 oz Kahlua
1/2 oz. Anisette
1 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
2 or 3 oz. brewed coffee
(optional whipped cream garnish... not an option on our boat!!)

Wet lip of coffee mug with lime and dip in sugar. Pour liqueurs into mug and fill with coffee.

Proceed to deck to enjoy the ambiance and the warmth and rich flavor of the coffee.