• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trysail Luff Loops?

Walter Pearson

Member III
I've always thought it might be useful to carry a trysail, but also thought it should be able to be raised without having to use the existing luff groove. I can't imagine doing that single-handed under the conditions that this sail would be employed. I'm thinking it should have the capability of being secured around the outside of the mast. I've seen those loops with rollers attached to each one, but without the proper name, my searches for construction details have not been successful. Any ideas on what they are called or where there might be information about them? Thanks for any info.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
You could attach an external T-track to the mast along one side of the mainsail track. That way you can just slip the cars on the dedicated track and raise the sail. In heavy weather you can even leave the trysail hanked on, in the bag at the foot of the mast if you want.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have the video titled "Sailing in Heavy Weather". In the video they compare deploying a TriSail in storm conditions as the equivalent of trying to change a tire on a Semi Truck moving at 60 mph. Not sure if that's true because I don't have a TriSail and haven't been in that bad of conditions yet. Knock of fiber glass! Here's a couple pics I found. Looks like its fitted to the luff track.

Attachments

• 05260034.jpg
    05260034.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 628
  • storm-trisail.jpg
    storm-trisail.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Trysails

If you really need on have one, certainly the right thing is to fit a length of track just to the side of the mainsail track/groove, and you can run it all the way to the deck (on the little e-boats). This way you can have the sail attached to the track whenever you head out in rough conditions, SECURED IN THE BAG ON DECK, and to use it, you lower the main and stow it, and usually lower the boom to the deck and stow that, too. Take the halyard to the Trysail and hoist it, and run the sheet to blocks at the stern or the aft end of the genoa track. Be safe!

S

Walter Pearson

Member III
I had always considered my teardrop-shaped mast profile would not be good for mounting an additional track since it would be quite a bit off to one side. But maybe that is not so much an issue with this type of sail. I do like the ability to have it in a ready condition. I'll check that approach out a little further. Thanks to all for input.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I really wouldn't expect the exact position of the trysail track on the mast is an issue, as far as performance. My estimation is that as long as a trysail is strong, small, and flat, the other particulars of how it's flown are a matter of what fits best on your boat, and what's strong enough. Seth can probably give a more confident answer though.

Nate

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Right you are, Nate!

Yes-it is not super critical-you should hoist it so that head of the sail is close to the spreaders (or lower spreaders of 2 spreader rig), and the tack anywhere from 8-24" above the normal goseneck area.

Actually, you fine tune the hoist and tack location so that you can get a good sheet lead from the spinn sheet blocks (or the aft end of the genny track if you don't have the other). This sheet angle is determined by having the sheet bisect the clew and that imagnary line extends through the sail so that it would hit the luff about 60% of the way up the luff (sound familiar).

The usual Trysail set up is done WITHOUT the boom (to protect you and the boat from a dangerous flying gybe), so this is why you sheet from the back of the bus, and the boom is normally lowered down and lashed to the deck. This is safer if you are taking large breakng seas. The setup shown in the photo with the orange trysail is ok if conditions are not extreme, but if they are you need to get that boom secured.

Seeya!
S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Stowing the boom on the deck sounds like a good idea but I can't imagine trying to do that on my 38 with a rigid vang and dealing with the gooseneck fitting in "THOSE" conditions, oh say at 3am in the driving rain and spray... Any thoughts on the stowing the boom part of this exercise? The other info here is really good like where the tack and head should go. Regarding the sheet led to the stern. Do you run 2 sheets in case you need to gybe? Guessing you would not be trying to go to weather in these conditions, but if you needed to tack I guess you would want 2 sheets?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
You could try this..

Yes, that WOULD make things difficult if short handed. On the fully crewed boats in the Hobart race, they did remove the pins from the vang and get the boom on deck. The next best thing would be to lower the boom and snug the vang as much as possible and off to one side, and lash it securely with lines on each side of the boom-you could use sliding padeyes on the outboard track to tie off these lines-the dea is to have the thing as low as possible and off to one side and to keep the cockpit clear..

If you DO need to go upwind, 2 sheets are the way to go, and BTW-this is the precise reason for using a trysail. If you are reaching, the storm jib should be fine, but you won't go upwind very well at all with all of the sail area you have so far forward. The trysail places some sail area aft of the mast,and helps you point better!

Does that help?

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What to do the boom

Although most of my crewing has been short coastal hops, I did have one breezy trip from Portland to SF, and we were in gale conditions for 36 hours off Mendocino (AKA, the usual place... !)
The boat had a "gallows" on an FRP hard dodger, and after we took the main down in order to run with a reefed staysail, it was lashed to that support. Worked great -- just like the books all say it will.

A boom gallows is Certainly a bit of awkward structure to add to the back part of your boat... but when you need it, nothing else will do as well. Besides, it's a great place to attach the bimini in hot weather!
:)

Best,
Loren