• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-34 Listing to Starboard

ccorcoran

Member II
We're proud owners of a new (for us) 1987 E-34. When we finally moved her to her new home in Benicia, CA, we noticed that she has a noticeable list to starboard. As near as we can tell, she was origianlly fitted with three water tanks (one under the v-berth, one under the port setee and one under the starboard setee) with the fuel tank, located aft on the starboard side. There's nothing strange happening in the bilge (largely dry). We've moved all the on-board gear around to no avail. Has anyone else experienced a problem with later model E-34s listing to starboard? Is there something we missed during the survey? Should we pump out all the tanks and see what happens? Any thoughts/exeriences along these line would be greatly appreciated.

Fair winds to all!

Chris & Wendy

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
As I recall, the listing of certain Ericsons has been the subject of much discussion. You might try the Sailnet email archives.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
tilting boats

AFAIK all the E-built Olson 34's list a few degrees to port. Mine does and I have seen several others that do. In our case someone didn't completely calculate how much weight the combination of the aft head, hanging locker, and nav. table/cabinet would add on the port side...
With out main water tank filled (under starb. settee) most but not all of the list goes away. By the time we provision and load up for a couple weeks it is 'bout level.
Do a search for this topic regarding your model on the archives at Sailnet.com also. You may have to store those extra cans of Spam on the port side...
Seriously, we have got rid of much of our list by relocating all kinds of stuff from the heavy to the light side. Battery charger completely moved over, hot water heater moved partly, plywood bunktop access plates replaced with honeycomb board, spare tiller stored other side, tool boxes to the light side, etc. etc....

Best,

Loren

1988 Olson 34 #8

lrclough

Bruce King, the boat's designer, advised us to install additional lead under the port side ice chest (accessed by removing the swing out drawer), and Ericson provided the lead ingots.

We fiber-glassed it to the hull, which balanced out the boat on its lines. I do not recall how much but believe it was around 150-200 pounds. You may need to experiment.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Congratulations!! I got m /87 E34 last June. Love it. A real lady. In my first race next weekend.

The former owner installed 3 batteries under the sink and port ice box. He also had an 8D (yes!) battery under the aft cabin berth. And one battery in the cockpit locker (starboard). The fuel tank is pretty much centered under the aft cabin bunk but may be more to port. (I wonder why yours is different since I don't see how it can be to starboard) With that setup there was no list.

I changed the batteries to a 4d (less than the 8d weight) under the aft cabin berth, left one grp 27 under the sink and a grp 27 in the port cockpit locker somewhat up the aft hull side. The boat listed to starboard noticably.

I then moved the grp 27 from the cockpit locker to under the ice box on the port side (resulting in 2 batteries in that general area) and with that slight change, there was only a very, very slight list to starboard. Seems the trick is to get some weight under the icebox. This is not hard to do, but requires routing heavy wires. I cant see much difference by loading up the port water tank only. - which I find surprising.

Dont hesitate to contact me for other info. The former owner had loaded up this boat with everything.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
These boats are a relatively light displacement. It's more common that they list than that they don't. Water tanks far off the center line of the boat are especially suspect. I have learned the right placement of cargo to balance the boat while it's sitting in the marina so that I don't get growth above the water line, but once I'm off sailing and the v-berth is cleared out, the craft leans back and starboard. My favorite tool for triming is an extra piece of chain rode that I can pour into any small space opposite the problem. Have fun with the triming game.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Brisdon: I really appreciate your thoughts, but I'd have to say that the E34 defies conventional thinking. The water tanks are split 25 gal on one side, 20 on the other, with an optional tank in the bow (centered). The tanks are under the seats from about midship forward and they are pretty well outboard. But even with one tank full and one empty there was little effect on the list. It seems this boat is hugely affected by weight to the outside area aft of midship. Before I changed the battery arrangement, if I sat on the listing side in the cockpit you could easily see an additional list. While I love this boat, there clearly was a design flaw somewhere. Previously I had a Hinterhoeller Niagara 31 fin keel at 8500 lbs!! Forty gallon water tank on the starboard only and nothing to counter the weight on the port. But she floated perfectly straight up. The E34 is 13000 lbs and only 3'10" longer. :)

ccorcoran

Member II
Thank you all for your insights, experience and comments about our E34's starboard list. We've been experimenting with loose weight in and about the galley and aft cabin locker (outboard location). It seems as though 200 lbs. sets everything right. I suspect we'll find a permanent solution (glassed-in lead or ???) soon. At any rate, thank you all for taking the time to help us out!

Fair winds and calm seas to all!

Chris & Wendy