• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Back to the Island!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I am planing a four night trip to Catalina Wednesday May 31st to June Sunday June 4th. For those of you with Ericsons, it would be great if we could meet up! I would like to do at least one night on the back side (Cat Harbor, if the conditions are good, Little Harbor). Two Harbors, Howlands Landing, Emerald Cove are also options. Let me know what other boats may be over there and where for those dates.:egrin:

HGSail

Member III
I won't be able to make it down to Catalina that weekend, But I will be somewhere around Santa Cruz Is.. Any Ericsons up this way?

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You should try to hook up with Don Anderson with the E-27 Amigo. He's out of Oxnard. I used to sail out of Oxnard to Santa Cruz. I love it up there. I was a regular at Smugglers, Yellow Banks and Little Scorpion. Now it's about a 67 mile, 17 hour cruise for me. Here's Don's web link. Nice guy, he gave me a good deal on a used Main and we talked on the phone a couple times.

HGSail

Member III
Santa Cruz Isl. For Memorial day weekend

Just seeing if anybody is going out to the Islands for the long weekend.
We will be leaving the afternoon of Thurs. 5/25 and heading for lil Scorps for the night. On Fri. morning we'll pull anchor and head for Prisoners for the rest of the weekend and we will head home either Mon. or Tues.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

bigtyme805

Member III
My friend Jeff had kind words to say, thanks.

I will do my best to be at Santa Cruz on Memorial day. Do you know if the island is open Pat? I know they are still shooting the pigs, sure hope we can hike.

Hey Jeff re-did my decks what do you think?

Attachments

• P1050001.jpg
    P1050001.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 230

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Looks Great Don,

What exactly did you do, is that new Non Skid I see? What are the tan colored sections I see near the forward hatch? Is that just a different color of Non Skid?

I notice you have a Bow Roller. Could you take a close up photo of your installation some time and post it? Does it clear your Rub Rail when you bring up the Rode? I purchased about a 20" roller from Minny's about a year ago and have been puzzled about the best way to install it. I know others have had to re position their running lights to install one, but I see you have the originals. I also like your Fortress Anchor. How do you like it? Good holding? Nice and light! That appeals to me. I am exhausted when ever I pull up my 40' of chain and 13lb Danfourth.

Sorry about the twenty questions. Your boat looks Great! When's the next Hawaii Trip?

Jeff, Out!

HGSail

Member III
The last time I checked the Island was closed from the National Park property line to Forneys (the west end) at least for the rest of the year.
As for the schedule for that weekend things have changed a little bit. It looks like we may not be able to get out there until Sat. morning.

P.S. The decks look great!!

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

jeff_mc

Member I
im planning to go to catalina as well.
we have only moored in emerald and two harbors in the past.
it would be great to tag along with someone who has more experience
exploring the place.
will keep an eye on this thread.
hope to join ya.

jeff_mc

Member I
john where are you at,
eracing all my logos from the parking stalls?
we should both go, meet up with jeff and others
from the long beach side.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Jeff MC,

I would love to meet up with you guys. My tentative plan is to get a mooring at Howlands Landing and see a friend who has a E-46 on Wednesday May 31st. Then I would really like to go over to Cat Harbor on the back side of the Isthmus the next day. I have never been on the back side and I have been to Catalina over 15 times on my E-27. Every thing has to be play it by ear because of all the variables like weather, mooring availability, but that's my plan for now. I will be sailing back to San Pedro on Sunday June 4th for sure.

Attachments

• CatalinaTrip.jpg
    CatalinaTrip.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 213

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff that bowroller hits the rub rail just a bit. Hardly noticable. I re-did the non-skid myself. The cabin top I left alone and put treadmaster on it. Have not decided if I like it or not. Sure gives excellent traction.

I am planning a trip to Sea of Cortez soon and I am having my boat shipped back via ship, probably from San Carlos. Just can't get away from work long enough. Would really like to meet you all on Catalina for Memorial Day Weekend. This strange weather pattern has me wondering if I should go. My wife says stick to Santa Cruz for now.

As for the Fortress Anchor have never had a problem. Good anchor! You would be happy with it's holding ability.

I saw your post about the E-27 and the Hawaii sailor. I have never seen anything on him. If you come across anything let me know.

Thanks Pat for the kudos..Hope to see Holy Guacamole at the island.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. I will not be at Catalina on Memorial Day weekend. I am heading over on the following Wednesday the 31st of May and returning on Sunday June 1st. Avoid the crowds you know. Although I have been there for the last three Memorial Days and always found a mooring by heading over a day early.

Kevlarpirate

Member II
E-46 at Howlands Memorial day weekend

We will be on a mooring from Saturday leaving Wednesday.
All Ericsons welcome to dinghy over. I think temp raft-up is ok . However the landing will be very crouded including many stern ties.

jkm

Member III
Catalina

Jeff

Trying to get over there this coming weekend. I'll talk to the crew today and see if they want to do the long weekend in stead of or also.

Been in Hawai'i last couple of weeks-diving around Maui. Had a blast. Saw one Ericson in Lahaina

John

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'm Back From The Island!

I spent the first half of last week in the New Orleans with my Brother David. We had a fantastic time and David was the best tour guide seeing that he has been there twice before. I have never met friendlier and nicer people in my life. Everyone I meet had a heart breaking story to tell about that bitch KATRINA (as they refer to her), but only if you ask them. The French Quarter, River Front and Downtown areas seem to be in pretty good shape. It wasn't until we rented a car on our second to the last day that we went out as saw the devastation. We first went to St. Bernard Parish and the 9th Ward (poor part). It was a little hard to distinguish damage from poverty because a lot of the homes are cheaply built and badly maintained. The real evidence was the parking lots full of FEMA trailers baking in the hot sun and humidity. Don't get me wrong, we saw plenty of downed structures and debris piles as well as water lines on the homes.

We then decided to drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, a 28 mile water level bridge. As we were driving back I saw a marina on the New Orleans side and decided to investigate. What we found was amazing. Boats sunk, boats with their bows point to the sky, boats on the docks, boats in piles, boats a 1/4 mile away from the lake. For me this was heartbreaking.

(See Photos)

As we headed back to the city we drove through what was once the very nice suburb of Lakeview. There we found everything pretty much abandoned. Houses with water lines right up to the roofs, house with for sale signs, houses with FEMA trailers parked in front, houses with signs that read "please don't bull doze". Lots of spray painted information on houses and cars as well stating that they had been inspected. The next thing we noticed was under a freeway clover leaf junction. Lots of abandoned cars that had been submerged and were being cannibalized for parts.

I spent the second half at Two Harbors on Catalina. Met Darryl, the owner of a E-38 that he sailed to Tahiti. Darryl is a member of Little Ships Yacht Club out of Long Beach. They were having a gathering of the Little Ships Club and they were all great sailors! We snorkeled and saw a big Halibut and three good sized Leopard Sharks. We had a pretty bad Fog on the return on Sunday. About two hours with about a half a football field of visibility. My radar paid for itself that day! We also ran into a very friendly pod of dolphins. All and all a outstanding trip!

(See Photos)

Skipper Jeff,

Over and Out for now.

Attachments

• NewOrleans1.jpg
    NewOrleans1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 93
  • NewOrleans2.jpg
    NewOrleans2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Cucamonga.jpg
    Cucamonga.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Shark1.jpg
    Shark1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Dolphins1.jpg
    Dolphins1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
More Photos

See More Photos! Man Grilling!

Attachments

• NewOrleans3.jpg
    NewOrleans3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 89
  • BBQ.jpg
    BBQ.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 89

bigtyme805

Member III
Hey Jeff:

Nice pics! Sure is bad over in New Orleans, hate to see all those boats so beat down. So many going on ebay.

Glad you had a good time in Catalina. Nice start to the summer. Your boat looks great. All that is missing is a dodger... I will assume you are enjoying your new sails. When I get a chance I want to go out on your boat when I am down your way. The same goes for you.

Thanks for the pics.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
dodgers?

Thanks Don,

Yeah, I have thought a lot about a dodger but I ended up putting my money else where like $1500. for the radar that saved me any grief on this last trip. I got some loose estimates on dodgers in the past and I was looking at about 2K. What did you pay? I do see the pros to one, but there are some cons like limited visibility and the thing getting in the way if I have to go top sides. I just don't see it as being that important in my fair weather area.

bigtyme805

Member III
I paid $1100 and believe me if you go topside it will help because you have rails on the top of the dodger. I felt the need for one because the weather in the channel islands can be brutal. Plus the spray going to weather. Sounds like you like your radar, next thing on the list.

I am heading to Catalina July 23 thru July 30. See if you can make it out. Taking the family on a vacation.

Be well...