• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson Sailboat value calculator

SAILSHIGH

Member III
All,

Does anyone know of a good sailboat value calculator? I looked online and didnt see a good one.

Thats all, Have a great week.

Wes Zimmerman
1975 E29
Sailscall
Grand Lake Oklahoma:cheers: :cheers:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
NATA Guides

I'm not sure how useful the used boat guides are, but banks and credit unions sometimes have used boat and RV value guides alongside their used car books. You might try that.

u079721

Contributing Partner
When I sold my boat the broker mentioned that as a broker he had access to the selling prices of boats - not just their asking prices. Which is rather an important difference. Perhaps a friendly local broker could look up some data for you.

omgirl

Member II
Steve - You are right. We just bought our boat a few months a go and we used a well know surveyor in our area. He looked up sale prices of atleast 50 similar configurations of Ericsons from all over the country and with similar and different vintages and sent us the full listings. He said that one can join (have to be a broker or surveyor) Yachtworld and see the sale prices of any boats sailed on Yachtworld.com... apparently if one lists a boat there, one has to report the sale price.

In fact, he sent us a listing that was the exact boat we were looking at from the last time it was sold! Extremely helpful. We have a good relationship with him and had used him for another survey in the past... so I am sure he was doing this as a favor.

Hope that helps.

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Thank You Brain Trust...

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

I will get a hold of the surveyor who I know.

Great info..

Wes Zimmerman
E29
Sailscall
Grand Lake Oklahoma
:egrin: :egrin:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Buc

I've heard from a surveyor I know that the BUC value isn't very accurate anymore. It's more about having a formula based systems that for some reason the banks like better and of course is easier to generate. I don't remember the competitor to BUC.

-- neal
PS - As my Grandfather would have said, a boat is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it when it's time to sell. He was a boater but sometimes he was a little reserved.

chaco

Member III
The best calculator is the average asking price of ALL the LIKE boats you
are looking at. Assemble a spread sheet of all like boats from throughout
the US - Coast to Coast. I had to do this for my bank because the BUC
Value and Blue Book were way under what I had to pay to get a SLIP
in my harbor. This is also a HUGE consideration on boat prices here in SoCal.
Slips are worth $5000 to $10000 additional price on boats here.
You will find that the average is pretty accurate. Then reduce your offer
below asking, taking in to account the average and any ISSUES.
The 35-II asking was $42K, the BUC was $24K, the average was $35K
the Purchase Price was low $30K's.
Good Luck and CLOSELY Survey your Engine.