• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WiFi System

noproblemo2

Member III
Does anyone know how to set up your own WiFi system for cruising?We're totally confused by all the opposite info we are getting from the "pros", they all offer opposite advise. Thanks in advance...:esad:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It depends what you want to do ...

This is a confusing topic, and there are several ways to go about it, so we'll need to ask a few questions. Then the board's experts can wade in with their advice.

Do you want to:
1) connect one or more onboard PCs (wireless laptop) to a marina wireless system for Internet access & e-mail?
2) connect two or more PCs onboard to each other? to onboard navigation systems?
3) carry your laptop to a nearby Starbucks with a Wi-Fi hotspot to access the Internet & e-mail?
4) do something else? (Access your work e-mail? - We can't help you with this unless you're a live-aboard. Violates the relaxation clause of the Imaginary Ericson Sailboat Operators Agreement) :p
5) all of the above?

Have you looked into the cost & coverage of Internet access from a cellular phone provider?

I am not a Wi-Fi expert, but the wife & I survived two weeks in Washington DC, Alexandria VA, Kill Devil Hills NC, and Annapolis MD with a Wi-Fi capable PDA. Never missed an e-mail and kept up with Calvin & Hobbes. (We were not on a boat though.)

I hope we can help you figure this out. Plenty of people are wondering the same thing.

noproblemo2

Member III
We are live-aboards, but want to set up our own system for our personal use, we each have our own laptops and do wish to be able to use while traveling for internet & email without being dependant on whether a system is available where we go or not avai;ab;e.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
check cellular

I know Verizon wireless offers unlimited broadband cellular at about $60/month. Not bad when you consider we are paying almost $50/month for cable internet.
Just one more thought.

rgoff

Member III
I've been using Verizon wireless with my laptop for about the last year. I've been very happy with it as I travel around California. However, the "broadband" speed is only available in major metro areas. Otherwise, you get something comparable to dial-up (maybe a bit faster). Also the broadband speed is not up to DSL or cable speeds, but is decent.

It's been well worth the money for me, as I've been "on the move" a lot in the last year and the Internet is integrated into my lifestyle.