• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Different types of starts?

Mike Thomas

Member II
Now that I've leaped into warm waters of admitting I know very little about racing, how about another potentially dumb question?

Can anyone explain the difference between a "Corinthian" start vs. a "Creepstakes" start?

Or are those "local terms" that our club uses?

Mike T
E-29

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Local lingo

AFAIK, this is a local thing:devil: But if I had to guess about Corinthian, that would be a normal start according to the RRS. Creepstakes-is too techincal for me...Loren??

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have raced and RC'ed with the usual starting line, and also used a "rabbit start" once or twice, and actually enjoy a "reverse handicap" race a lot... chaotic finish and all!
:)

LB

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
My understanding...

My understanding of those terms is that Corinthian is generally smaller (30-ish or less) and/or cruisers. East coast we'd call it a cruising class. Giving them their own start is a great idea if you have enough boats in the fleet. We don't have enough boats in our local fleet to have a class like that, we're lucky if we can separate by PHRF divisions (and most of the time we don't in our more formal racing program).
And I believe creepstakes is singlehanded, no matter the boat.
How big is your fleet? :hail:
Chris

Mike Thomas

Member II
Chris,
The fleet is actually a nice size. We usually get 18-25 boats on Thursday nights. The club actually runs 3-4 race locations through out the week. Wed nights are held about a 40min boat ride away, Thursdays are rite near my canal and on the weekends we move them around. Because of traveling for work I can usually only make the Thursday night races.

Here's a link to our club if you’re interested
http://www.sbccsail.org/Event schedule.htm

Maybe it's a good idea for everyone to post links to their race clubs. Maybe we can all pick up something?

In as far as the actual content of this thread goes.
Yes, we do have both cruisers and racers so you are probably correct on the Corinthian
And yes again on the Creepstakes. It is a Captains only race.

I guess they are still just conducted as regular line starts?

Mike T