• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bahamas Cruise

Captron

Member III
FWIW,

My wife and I just returned to the states from cruising the Bahamas on our Ericson 38 "Kismet". :egrin:

We left Florida last December and returned at the end of March. This year we cruised the Abacos, Eleuthera and the Exumas ending up in Georgetown, Exuma … last year we did the Exumas, Crooked/Acklins, Mayaguana and Turks & Caicos.

Anyway, the bloody details are on our blog … :egrin: kismetlog.blogspot.com

The highlight this year was taking a second and a fourth in the Cruiser’s Regatta at Georgetown.

Capt Ron

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Wow, great blog. Lots too read there. Tell us more about your 38? What keel do you have? Our 38 has the 6.5' keel and I was thinking that may be a bit deep for the Bahamas? What sails do you carry? Got a pics of the boat? Any custom rigging, like a staysail setup? What year is the boat. Sorry this is the kind of story that gets me all fired up. Esp this time of year when I have been forced to sail my little boat all winter... Which BTW went well this year. Wife and I won the Frostbite Series! 45 races total spread over 9 saturdays from November to March. Sure miss the Ericson though. Fired up the engine sunday afternoon. I'm dying to get out!

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Sweet!

Nice! Sounds like a super trip. If you aren't back in Naptown yet, stop by and see us in Solomons on your way up!
Chris

Captron

Member III
Kismet

Tell us more about your 38? What keel do you have? Our 38 has the 6.5' keel and I was thinking that may be a bit deep for the Bahamas? What sails do you carry? Got a pics of the boat? Any custom rigging, like a staysail setup? What year is the boat. Sorry this is the kind of story that gets me all fired up.

Kismet is hull# 509 (1983 381) Traditional interior, 4'11" draft ... we know several folks cruising the Bahamas in boats that draw 6 or 6.5 ft ... certainly doable. The anchorages we use show on the Explorer ChartKit as having a minimum of 2.0 meters .... In Georgetown, Exuma we are typically anchored in 10 to 15 feet. BUT we had a catamaran before this that drew 2.5ft and we ran that aground a few times so ... it's more a matter of careful navigation than draft.

We carry only a 130% roller furling genoa and a full batten main (Mack-Pack cover and lazy jacks) I'd like to add a baby stay for hanking on a small jib. We have a cruising spinnaker and smaller jibs but found that we just didn't use them and so they stay home.

We have friends on "Rhapsody" a 4' 11" E38 that has added a 900lb Mars bulb to the keel. We've decide that we like Kismet as is ...

As for pictures, we have many but without a high speed internet connection it's too hard to send them. We can maintain the blog with email but the blog site doesn't accept pictures that way unfortunately.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I am guessing you do not have the wing keel but simply the shoal draft fin? You do much offshore work with only the 130% jib? What are you carrying for ground tackle and what type of dinghy do you use? Lots more questions trust me... I'm in Annapolis and would love to check out your boat when you are in town. Be glad to show my 38 as well.

Captron

Member III
Anchors, etc

I'll try to answer ...

My wife and I qualify as "chicken sailors" that is we don't go unless conditions are expected to be good ... i.e. no windward work, winds less than 20k and seas under 10ft... no squalls, etc. We often motorsail ... off the wind sometimes we just roll out the genoa and forget the main ... we sailed from Nassau to Frazers Hog Cay (50 miles) on the genoa alone and made 6.5k all the way in a 15k easterly (90-110 apparent) with a 6ft sea running ... for example.

We don't often do "overnighters" although we are radar equipped ... about the longest sail we've done is Providenciales, Turks and Caicos to Rum Cay or Nassau to West Palm Beach ... on the order of 150 miles give or take.

Our ground tackle is minimal for the boat although we have often relied on it and it has never failed to hold us ... Our everyday anchor on the bow roller is a 33lb Bruce on 100ft of 5/16 G4 high test chain and 200 ft of 5/8 twisted 3 strand nylon ... we almost always put down all of the chain plus 25ft of the nylon ...

We also carry (in the bow locker) a 22lb Danforth on 30ft of chain and 150 ft of 5/8 twisted nylon. We rarely use this anchor as we seldom employ a Bahamian moor or any other two anchor drill. Why deploy two anchors when one will do?

In the bottom of our lazarette, we have a Fortress FX37 on 50ft of 3/8 BBB chain and 200ft of 5/8 3 strand nylon. (our storm anchor) ... we have used this anchor only about three times. During the 2004 hurricane season, we anchored Kismet out in Clearwater Bay once, in canals off the Gulf ICW twice, in the vicinity of Clearwater, Florida.

Kismet survived Charlie, in a canal...no damage. All 3 anchors deployed and tied off to seawalls. Max winds may have been 50k

She made it through Frances anchored on the Fortress alone (and all the rode we had) in Clearwater Bay where she had to endure 3 days of 50k plus winds and horrendous chop ... broken rudder cables were the result of the pounding she took. Max sustained winds were in the 70k range (tidal surge was expected to be in excess of 14ft ... actual was more like 6ft)

Then we anchored her in another canal for hurricane Jeanne on the Fortress and the Bruce set in mud at about 120 degrees to each other, facing the expected wind... no damage. Max winds again in the 70k range.

Our to-do list for this year includes a power windlass and maybe a 44lb Bruce and maybe new chain/rode depending on the windlass requirements. Right now we're still on the old armstrong system ... and the 33lb Bruce/chain can be a bear if we anchor in anything more than about 20ft of water.

I love the Bruce, it always sets and never breaks out ... almost always we have to break it out with engine power. The only time it has had difficulty setting is in dense grass. I've been using Bruce anchors now on my last three boats and would find it hard to change now.

We're thinking about going either down the islands (Puerto Rico maybe) or a west about cruise (Belize, Honduras) for this coming season but well see ... we like the Bahamas just fine and don't really have much reason to go further.

Love to get with you when we get to Annapolis or somewhere up there ... you don't happen to know where a retired MBA type could find seasonal employment do you?

FWIW, we went through an exhaustive search for a cruising sailboat in 2003 after we sold our 35ft catamaran (Edel 35) ... after cruising the Bahamas one season in the cat we knew that a cat had to be in excess of 40ft to be big enough to carry all the stuff you need to have on a cruising boat.

We wanted seaworthiness first ... an ocean capable boat even though we do not plan to cross oceans ... sailing performance was very important and comfort about even with performance. If I had it to do over I might put comfort at the top of the list ... not that the E38 is uncomfortable by any means ... we also had to be able to handle the boat with just two of us on board and we wanted draft to be 4ft or less and an engine capable of pushing the boat to hull speed at cruising rpm.

For the money we had to spend, the Ericson 38 fit the bill the best. After studying every physical dimension of every boat ever made our short list came down to maybe a half dozen great designs ... the Pearson P40, the Hood/Waquiez 38, the Tartan 37, and I forget the others. The P40 interior was too much like a cave, the Hoods on the market were way over priced, the Tartan 37 just seemed too small. We loved an O'Day 40 we saw, but once I studied the construction, I decided it simply wasn't offshore capable ...

I would have prefered a bigger engine (although the old 5432 works just fine) and a large aft cabin perhaps but not at the expense of sailing performance.

We hit it right ... the E38 sails like a dream, fast and responsive ... balances well on all points of sail without much regard for whatever canvas I give her. She performs better than many much bigger and highly regarded boats although we pay for it in PHRF rating ... in Georgetown this year we had to give time to an Island Packet 45 for example ... does that sound fair? We can hang in there with the Saga 43 upwind in 12k apparent.

We traded away the draft issue (Tartan 37, P40 and Hood 38 are c/b boats), small engine and an aft walk around queen berth (O'day 40) for seaworthiness, solid construction and sailing performance.

Sorry about being long winded ... ask away at your own risk:egrin:

Captron

Member III
Dinghy

Oops I forgot about the dinghy question ... sorry.

We have a 10'2" Caribe ... fiberglass hard bottom ... with a 15 Yamaha 2 stroke. We carry the dink, motor, fuel can, etc on a pair of Kato Marine davits hung over the transom. Unfortunately this blocks the stern ladder ... so we just don't fall overboard.

The dinghy planes out with two of us, a couple of full jerry cans, a load of groceries and laundry. It is not capable of planing out with 4 adults on board... (three adults and two kids works though) ...

We have an Igloo cooler mounted where the seat goes ... gives us dry storage ...

We bought it and the motor used ... it looks a little rough but I hope theft proof ...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks for the info. Would love to see your boat and how you fit all that ground tackle in the bow locker. Mine isn't that big. I use a 35lb CQR Plow with 50' of chain and probably 250ft of 5/8 braided nylon rode. Works fine for the Chesapeake but I am wishing I had a windlass and all chain as the anchorages get crowded sometimes and I would sleep better on shorter scope if it was all chain...

I have thought about the davits and think if I was doing more distance cruising I would go that route. Its a tough call in my mind on a 38 foot boat, but its hard to argue with a RIB. With a 3 year old boy and a 8 month old girl we will be needing to upgrade our 8.5' inflateable soon. Backing into slips must be a bit trickier with the davits there. Do you also have a bimini or what do you do for shade?

I manage the investment portfolio for Provident Bank in Baltimore so I'm familiar with MBA's. Will keep my ears out for any work oportunities. What is your ETA for Annapolis area?

Captron

Member III
Backing up

Yes, slips and docks can be an issue with the dinghy hanging back there. Even leaving a fuel dock, the ends of the dinghy can swing into or catch on a piling. We try not to spend much time in marinas ... anchor out mostly ... but more often than not we pull in to slips bow first, which can be a boarding issue if the finger piers are short.

We also have a Kyocera 120 watt solar panel mounted across the davits ...

We have a bimini top with dodger panels that zip into place (front and sides) ... the bimini stops just short of the binnacle ... we have a flat panel that zips on the back of the bimini (and ties onto the davits) that we rig as helm shade as needed. The flat panel will also zip on the sides of the bimini to provide shade from the side when conditions warrant... other wise it's sunscreen and big hats.

FWIW ... Interesting side light ... we raced the boat in the Georgetown cruiser regatta without the dinghy (left it anchored to our main anchor to reserve our spot) but with the davits/solar panel ... the forward water tank (now 70 gallons) was also nearly empty (but fuel and the starboard water tank probably held 40 gallons each) and since the main anchor was on the bottom ...without the anchor/chain/rode in the bow locker. Of course, we also had our Mack Pack lazy jack/sailcover system in place ... no whisker pole ... and just the 130 genoa. We did have a smooth bottom and we have a feathering prop (J-Prop) .... crew was 6 people ... 3 couples ... like I said the boat sails well in spite of what I do to it.

Captron

Member III
Plan to be in Annapolis in early May ... assuming that my autopilot makes it back in the next two weeks.